Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stan Jay, Pioneer of Vintage Instrument Fame Fighting For His Lif

Default Re: Stan Jay, Pioneer of Vintage Instrument Fame Fighting For His

This is very sad news. My wife and I visited the shop last year in June as I was in NY for a conference, and I had been looking forward to visiting the shop for ages. The moment we were through the door, Stan greeted us welcome and made us feel right at home, never leaving our side while we where there. We were there for an hour or so, trying some mandolins (even some very fine ones that many shops would have kept away from the public) and also talking about mandolins. Stan filmed me playing a couple to put on his website, making me feel very honored. I hold that memory very close, as it was the most welcome and relaxed atmosphere I've ever felt in an instrument shop. I send my very best to Stan and to his his closest in these trying times.
    Mads Hovgaard, Aarhus, Denmark.
    2003 (#173) Collings MF5
    1995 Stelling Golden Cross
    2006 Rozawood RD-18

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S Sherman View Post
    This looks like it's from the same session.
    Yes, judging by the clothes and hat. She also bought a guitar that day, "a circa 1915 Martin 000-28 herringbone guitar." I can't tell if this is it.

I was surprised when I found a second photo from that visit. Seeing a third makes me even more curious.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

This is very sad. I haven't been there since the late 80s, but it's still fresh in my memory. I have bought instruments there and called just to ask questions, whom ever I spoke with at the store was always knowledgeable, helpful and as nice as could be. When I visited I was a bit intimidated going in, but Stan made me feel at home instantly. You are in my prayers Stan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    Visiting Mandolin Brothers was a high point of my trip to NYC nearly six years ago. A buddy of mine took me there and introduced me to Stan as his friend from California. Stan looked at me and said, "All the way from California? Then you'll have to play every instrument in the store. Go ahead."

We were there for over two hours. A couple of times, Stan checked in on me to make sure that I was having fun, making no sales pitch whatsoever. As we were about to leave, one of the repair guys who was holding a vintage Gibson F-4 stopped me and asked if I was the guy who had been playing lots of their mandolins. When I confessed that I was, he handed me the F-4, saying that he had just finished repairing it and setting it up, and that Stan had told him to see if I wanted to try it out.

MB is a very special store reflecting a very special guy.
    I had exactly the same experience, also visiting from California, except instead of an F4, it was a D'Angelico: "You came all this way, you might as well play everything!" This was in the late '80s. I was no great player then (nor am I today) and I was only in my '20s. He knew the only thing I'd likely buy from him was a T-shirt (which I did). It says something about the man and the store that nothing about his attitude towards customer service changed in 20-odd years.

Now is an appropriate time to post these
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2818.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	234.8 KB 
ID:	124965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2833.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	124966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2838.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	124967  

Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

When I first considered playing the mandolin in 2009, I had no clue what kind of mandolin to buy, or whether I should buy new or used. I called Mandolin Bros. for advice and was surprised to have Stan answer the phone. He spent several minutes sharing his time and knowledge, never giving me the impression he was in a hurry--knowing that I was in Michigan and might never set foot in his store.
    I found him to be a very nice man, and wish he and his family well.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

I'm sharing this note originally posted on Facebook, on behalf of my friend, Lou Russo, a Staten Island musician:

"About five years ago, Stan, Bea and Bonnie, hired me as Art Director at Mandolin Brothers Ltd. At that point, because of a troubled economy, my 30+ year career as a NYC agency Art Director was just about over. But HE SAVED the day! Mandolin Brothers resurrected both my ART & MUSIC careers, and introduced me to the SI music scene and creative community. Professionally HE and I just clicked! His sense of humor balanced by his respect for tradition, a love of history were similar to mine, and so he gave me complete creative freedom to design, illustrate and even write catchy slogans and headings, which were formerly his private domain. We performed together musically (along with my wife Terry) many times, and he was our special guest performer at my "Lou Russo and Friends" show at the ETG CAFE. I guess you know that Stan is an excellent lead guitarist, something that we both share, which also brought us together. Playing dueling leads together is almost like being 'army buddies". I heard about his cancer around the time I myself was going in for my own scary surgery. Since then we both often commiserated on our prospects going forward, and then just a short while ago it seems it all fell through for him... it's still too hard for me to believe!
    NEEDLESS to say, I owe Stan Jay a lot, and I always will. We hope his doctors will find a miracle that will turn his condition around and bring him back to all of us here in Staten Island, where his presence is sorely missed. The prospect of our beloved island home without Stan Jay would be just inconceivable!- Lou Russo"

Note: Lou is not a member of the Mandolin Cafe.

8. The following members say thank you to Phil Sussman for this post:

Prayers for Stan's recovery and his family. He is a big part of my mandolin make-up.

From reading the comments above, I can tell that Stan Jay is an exceptional human being, who loves people, the music and the instruments that make the music. I've never had the privilege to meet Stan, but I feel like I know him already. Stan and Family, my prayers are with you.
    Kentucky KM-1050 2021
    Pava Satin A 2018 #272
    Gibson A 1916 #25861 FON 2626

Blog Entries

Terrible news that with some prayer may turn around for the better! It has happened. As someone like me that has serious health issues with pretty bad end prognosis one must always look up!!!!!!! Mr. Stans Family/friends/etc.. Be strong for him Stan is a real nice person , had the joy of meeting him in maybe 2000 or so at one of them there Grey Fox fests late at night hanging around the McCoury clan. Actually didn't put 2 and 2 together till a few days later on who I was talking with! Yep I'm kinda like Babe Ruth when it comes with names. Takes me a long time to remember names! "At least I don't call everyone KID!" We talked about Ronnies Gil. Also got the chance to do a deal with him kinda recently and it was a great price he was going to give me on a 1935 Gibson "RARE BLACK DOG" F-10 Mandolin. It sold before I could get the $$$ together. I think it was this past summer?, maybe June? Might've even went to the Dawg, It would of went great with my handfull of F-7's and the rarest of em all my 35 F-12! Whoever got her I'm oh so wah,wah, wahhhhhhhhhhhhh Message me if ya want to sell??????????

I hope that the doctors find some medical treatments that will help Stan feel better. Prayers to Stan and his family.

The thing about Stan Jay is that when you meet him you know right away that this guy understands why you love the mandolin. When I bought a Flatiron mandola from him he gave me The Mandola Sampler by Niles, which was the best thing to do, as what to do with the mandola was a mystery to me.
    I will always remember my visit to Mandolin Brothers and the kind gentle man I met.
    David Herman

I have never been to his store or met Mr. Jay but, I have been entertained by his colorful descriptions for many years. I hope that they can cure him and give him many more years to do what he loves most in life.

Blog Entries

We are deeply saddened to learn that Stan Jay of Mandolin Brothers has passed away. Just spoke to Rachel at Mandolin Brothers to confirm the news. On behalf of the Mandolin Cafe and our visitors we extend our sympathy to his family and friends.

16. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

So sad. Everlasting condolences. I'm sure everyone here feels the same way, in his or her own way.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

That's tragic, what a great loss. All my best to family and friends.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

It's truly the end of an era for NYC vintage instrument fans. Mandolin Bros - where I first saw a K-4 mandocello, and so many other fantastic instruments. And where I bought a fine oddball Gibson arch-top just a few years ago.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Rest in peace, Stan. Such a big heart was just lost by the mandolin community today.
    ~David Chernack

2003 Lawrence Smart A5 #145
    2011 Kentucky KM-1000
    2010 Kentucky KM-150
    1961 Silvertone 3/4 octave mandolin conversion
    2015 Eastman E20D

Very sad news indeed, may he rest in peace.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Stan,

Tonight's "Amazing Grace" goes out to you and your spirit. Such grace...such humility. You are the definition of a gentleman.

Thank you,
    Leon

My heart goes out to the Jay family. I met Stan once and he made an extraordinary impression upon me. I can not imagine the depth of your loss.

So sad. Condolences to his family. RIP.

Sad for his family and friends. So glad I got to meet Stan and enjoy the generosity and kindness (and humor) that he was known for.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

A sad day for the music world. He was truly a legend. I only wish I'd made it to Staten Island to meet him. My sincere condolences to his friends and family. Rest in Peace Stan.

So sorry to hear this sad news. Stan and his family were so helpful whenever we visited Mandolin Bros. He made us feel welcome and special to be there. Our sincerest condolences to his Family.

Stan was an icon in the New York scene. I first met him back in the mid '80s when as a kid with a keen eye and a knack for pawnshop bartering he helped me turn my lawnmowing $$$ into sales and trades that allowed me to own some of the most iconic guitars of the last century. How many high school kids today own prewar Martins and mid 50s Stratocasters and a blonde dot neck 1960 es 335???? Thanx Stan.

He was THE guy in his trade, but his warmth, humor and wit were off the charts. I covet his writing in those old printed catalogs. Stan taught me to understand an original D'Angelico ( $750 back then!!!!!) and when either of us had a hard question, he would just pick up the phone and call Jimmy D'Aquisto. At a time when the other shops in town would not even make eye contact with you unless you were Eric Clapton or in the Ramones, Stan would sit you down on the couch in the shop and let you play anything you wanted. He ran the kind of shop that we all aspired to have one day. Rather than covet the great old instruments, he knew that as soon as you played one, you'd find a way to bring it home.

While a legend of the scene and one of our founding fathers has passed, he's now hanging out with Django and Bill and all of his other personal heroes, laughing, playing music, and waxing prose and beatiful stories in his own special way. Rest in peace Stan.

j.
    http://condino.com
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Oct-27-2014 at 11:25am. Reason: broken link

28. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post: