Thread: New Free Tutorial! Irish Jig Grooves.

Default New Free Tutorial! Irish Jig Grooves.

Hey Folks,

Here's this week's tutorial: a few thoughts on basic Irish jig playing and breathing more rhythm and life into your tunes - both for melody and backing. If you dig the new lessons, **subscribe** via the link below. Thanks!

My channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/songszak8

www.zakborden.com

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zak borden For This Useful Post:

Oh dear

Default Re: New Free Tutorial! Irish Jig Grooves.

Great video, Zak. I am more a violinist than anything, but I am trying to pick up some mandolin. I have just started playing with a group of Irish/traditional musicians at a pub here so I found this particularly enlightening. Gonna be in Portland in December so I am hoping you have a gig going somewhere so I can come listen for a bit.

Thanks violingirl! Glad the video was of use to you. I definitely have some Portland December shows that will post soon on my website. Including a mandolin workshop. Check back in soon.

All the best.
    Zak

Quote Originally Posted by Violingirl View Post
    Great video, Zak. I am more a violinist than anything, but I am trying to pick up some mandolin. I have just started playing with a group of Irish/traditional musicians at a pub here so I found this particularly enlightening. Gonna be in Portland in December so I am hoping you have a gig going somewhere so I can come listen for a bit.

5. The following members say thank you to zak borden for this post:

Zak another great video! When I get good we should jam.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Zak, are you planning on any follow-up videos on this theme of jigs?

I play a lot of jigs - I just love the rhythm of them. And while DUD-DUD is old-hat for me, I'm always looking for ways to spice them up and get them a little more groovy. Such as giving it a bit of a 'swing' by delaying the upstrokes slightly, or emphasizing other strokes besides the first downstrokes (as you mentioned). I'd sure be interested in other ideas you have for adding flair.

But my real question is this: what is your opinion on proper pickstroke for jigs when the phrase ends on a quarter note and eighth note? In other words, the last measure of an A part of a jig, before going to the B part, has three eighth notes followed by a quarter note and then an eighth note (the last eighth note being a pick-up to the next phrase).

Following the DUD-DUD mindset, one would normally play DUD-D_D (with the _ being a rest). But for some reason, I find it awkward to do that, and the tune sounds choppy. Even though it doesn't normally sound choppy when I use that same exact pickstroke sequence in measures that are all eighth notes. Leaving out the middle upstroke somehow changes the dynamics, and playing four downstrokes in a row seems strange. So when I have this situation, I often change that last note to an upstroke, just because it seems to flow better and sound better as a pick-up note to the next phrase.

I noticed in the intro to your video above that you employed both techniques. Sometimes you did this as a downstroke, sometimes you did it as an upstroke. Was there a method behind this, or did you just do what felt right at that particular portion of the tune?

Heya Tobin,

Good points. Yes I'll probably do a part 2 for that one. Glad you brought up the gaps or rests in the pattern. The rest thing is kinda the other side of the discussion of emphasis so that's the logical next step. While one game is to learn to emphasize any stroke in the pattern the other is to practice omitting any stroke. Sounds like you're already playing with these a bunch. A cool groove I like is: D-DDUD. I'd would try to keep consistent with the pattern - within reason. Yes I do break the pattern up all over the place. I think it keeps the tune from sounding robotic. Learning to alternate between DUDUDU and DUDDUD keeps it interesting. I think the question should be: are your chosen pick strokes interrupting the clarity of the melody and the groove? Or potentially futzing up the next phrase? If not, it's no emergency. As for the longer note values think about how it sets up the next measure. You want your wrist to be able to fall right back into DUDDUD easily. So learning, then breaking, these patterns helps you stay on your toes and be ready to switch as needed.

Hope that helps. z

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Zak, are you planning on any follow-up videos on this theme of jigs?

I play a lot of jigs - I just love the rhythm of them. And while DUD-DUD is old-hat for me, I'm always looking for ways to spice them up and get them a little more groovy. Such as giving it a bit of a 'swing' by delaying the upstrokes slightly, or emphasizing other strokes besides the first downstrokes (as you mentioned). I'd sure be interested in other ideas you have for adding flair.

But my real question is this: what is your opinion on proper pickstroke for jigs when the phrase ends on a quarter note and eighth note? In other words, the last measure of an A part of a jig, before going to the B part, has three eighth notes followed by a quarter note and then an eighth note (the last eighth note being a pick-up to the next phrase).

Following the DUD-DUD mindset, one would normally play DUD-D_D (with the _ being a rest). But for some reason, I find it awkward to do that, and the tune sounds choppy. Even though it doesn't normally sound choppy when I use that same exact pickstroke sequence in measures that are all eighth notes. Leaving out the middle upstroke somehow changes the dynamics, and playing four downstrokes in a row seems strange. So when I have this situation, I often change that last note to an upstroke, just because it seems to flow better and sound better as a pick-up note to the next phrase.

I noticed in the intro to your video above that you employed both techniques. Sometimes you did this as a downstroke, sometimes you did it as an upstroke. Was there a method behind this, or did you just do what felt right at that particular portion of the tune?

Oh and one point about the excessive down stroke feel when you skip an up: make sure you're really popping your upstrokes. Try OVER emphasizing them: dUddUd do the same with alternating strokes - just droning: dUdUdU it'll sound weird. But because they fall differently around each beat, it'll really help you to be ready for any twist and turn.

Thanks Zak!

Just listening to "The Brazillionaires - Tarde de Chuva" in the other browser tab. That's great stuff!!!!

11. The following members say thank you to Toni Schula for this post:

Thanks, Zak. This is really good - and also very timely. I'm going to Ireland next week, on a bus tour organized by a Celtic band I'm friends with. They've organized some gigs at pubs in the evening, some people will be bringing instruments, and I'll be taking my mandolin!

13. The following members say thank you to Dave_PA for this post: