Thread: Weber Cutaway mandolins

Question Weber Cutaway mandolins

Hello all. I'm sure many of you have seen the new design the folks at Weber have come up with that was just previewed this year.

http://webermandolins.com/instrument...away-mandolins

It's a neat idea! I'd really like to hear how one sounds. Have any of you heard or played one of the new cutaway mandolins at NAMM or otherwise? What did you think of it?

I will say that the first thing it made me think of was this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2715239335.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	216.0 KB 
ID:	124723

Which is not good...

After I looked for more pictures, and this is all I could find. I now see what they are trying to do.

Name:	image-116792037.jpg 
Views:	483 
Size:	235.2 KB 
ID:	124724

My problem I guess is that it doesn't really seem all that innovative to me. It just seems like the body style of a Gibson archtop cutaway.

Name:	image-1048481530.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	124725

I wonder what demographic they were shooting for? Believe me I'm all for innovative designs and new concepts but it just doesn't seem to me that this will catch on and make big sales. Hopefully they can prove me wrong.
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

Default Re: Weber Cutaway mandolins

Looking at the photos was the first time i've seen this model of Weber. In Bluegrass,we have our "F" & "A" styles,so i wonder if this cutaway style mandolin is aimed more at those of a 'Jazzy' tendency ?.I'd certainly like to hear one to compare it to the styles we
    already know. Maybe it won't sell in a big way,but it doesn't really need to as Weber make a lot of other styles. I'm sure that some folk will love it,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    In Bluegrass,we have our "F" & "A" styles,so i wonder if this cutaway style mandolin is aimed more at those of a 'Jazzy' tendency ?.
    That was my thought as well. Jazz or modern pop music, which seems to be gaining popularity within a certain segment of the mandolin world. Or, should I say, certain pop music elements are starting to gravitate towards the mandolin, and may perhaps be a ripe market for this style of instrument.

Personally, I don't want my mandolin to look like a "little guitar". That just seems to encourage the annoying questions from people who think it is, actually, a tiny guitar.

Looks like an idea aimed at getting more Weber crossover sales from the guitar world. Which is a much bigger market, after all.

Should also be more economical to produce and as stated above target a broader audience.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

It intrigues me.
    Flatiron 2MW
    Collings CJa
    Martin D15
    Tacoma EM9c
    30's Washburn Parlor
    Various electric guitars, basses and amps.

& they said the Breedlove/Bedell/Weber connection wouldn't change much.

It's an interesting idea, but I think the "Florida" fingerboard extension looks dumb on this model, especially on the oval hole version. Maybe doesn't look too bad on the brown-top with F-holes shown in the Mike's showcase image, but if they're going for a sort of guitar-crossover model, they should probably ditch the Florida. Not even jazz players are likely to use that, and it gets in the way of picking.

I'm not sure these will fit in the usual mandolin cases either, although that won't be a problem if you're buying new with a Weber case.

I wonder what the nut width is. If it's wider than "modern Gibson-ish," then it's a clue these are aimed at guitar players wanting something a little different in a mandolin.

Not really anything new other than the Weber name. Other builders have been building very similar mandolins for several years.
    Bill Snyder

I think Bill is correct, I've seen several small builder mandolins offered in this style..and then there are the old mandolinettos that pop up now and again. I'd love to try an F hole model in this shape.

Scott

I like the F-hole model quite a bit. It would be interesting to hear one. I think it would be a good look for a mandola.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by doc holiday View Post
    & they said the Breedlove/Bedell/Weber connection wouldn't change much.
    I just bought a pre-owned one of these (made in 2015) and love it. Saw it at the NAMM show in January of '16, didn't pull the trigger, found it on Montana Lutherie's (Bruce Weber's) page for sale last spring. One of the reasons I sprung for it now is that Bedell/Two Old Hippies are doing Weber mandos now without Bruce, and they've ditched all the experimental non-Gibson-A-and-F-style stuff that Bruce was getting into (the "cutaway" model mando/dola/octave/'cello, the resonator instruments, the two- and three-point bodies, plus the availability of x-bracing) and sticking strictly to tone bar braced A- and F- styles.

The Bedell connection changed things all right, it took away models like this.

Name:	cutaway.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	496.2 KB 
ID:	179314

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    Not really anything new other than the Weber name. Other builders have been building very similar mandolins for several years.
    Have they done them with round(ish) soundholes? I've seen some cool guitar-shaped mandos, but they've all been f-hole instruments. I recently bought a used Weber cutaway with x-bracing and a D-hole, it sounds like a really good 'teens Gibson A.

Attachment 179315