Thread: just ordered my 1st Mandolin

Default just ordered my 1st Mandolin

So excited. I'm getting an Eastman MD 315. I've been studying chords (just bought a Mando chord book) and I can't wait to learn. I'm hoping that since I do play the guitar that my learning curve won't be too outrageous. Any suggestions? I'm getting it from the Mandolin Store.

Default Re: just ordered my 1st Mandolin

Congratulations. Good choice from a great store. My suggestion? Practice, practice, practice!

Best wishes for many happy years of playing, Bob

I just received my md315 in the mail a few hours ago! I haven't been able to put it down since. Great tone, loud, and mighty nice looking. Enjoy!

Congrats! Post pictures when you can
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Blog Entries

Suggestions?

Your guitar playing experience will absolutely help. But there are a few differences. Things you do with the guitar don't translate exactly to mandolin - like type of pick, how its held, how you hold the instrument how you fret the neck, and some other things.

Check out Mike Marshall's now classic video to get started.

Peter Martin has some excellent videos as well to get you going right.

There are others, but these two, Mike and Peter, are my favorite explainers.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Is there a particular kind of pick I need to have? I have a few days until I get it so I want to be ready!!! And thank you for your responses.

Blog Entries

Picks are a real personal thing. Most mandolinners like a thicker pick, in my experience. Something like between 1 and 2 mm. Lots of choices.

There are exceptions, of course, but this is the general trend.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Congrats PedsRN!...Welcome to the world of mandolins...solid choice on instrument and vendor btw...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

I use a thin pick for quiet playing, and a medium pick for most of my playing. Don't use one of the fatter picks, but might if I ever tried one.

All of my picks are the rounded triangular ones about 1". I just found that that shape is comfortable for my playing and it seems the standard pick shape for most players. Any pick costing over $2 is kind of silly, in my opinion.

As you likely know from your guitar experience, there is a lot of junque out there designed mainly to lighten your wallet.

Have fun.

Ordered my Eastman MD-315 yesterday from Folkmusician.com . Did a lot of research. online, including a lot of suggestions and accolades here at the cafe, thanks.

What are your thoughts on a strap? Do I néed one?

Congrats. Eastman makes a good mando. I advise on buying a bunch of different picks and seeing what you like. I'm personally digging the Wegen picks right now.

A strap isn't necessary if you play sitting but essential if you stand. I'd say pick one up.
    Good luck!

Nice, congrats. I love my Eastman, looks and sounds great! Picks - there are tons of them ranging from a few cents to a few hundred just try a bunch you probably already have alot of them from your guitar playing. Straps - I'd get one, Lakota leathers has some nice ones, just be careful....the Eastmans are known for having loose end pins so check that before you rely on the strap.

There are lots of free videos but I'd take some in person or Skype lessons for immediate feedback on posture and technique.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    . . . just be careful....the Eastmans are known for having loose end pins so check that before you rely on the strap.
    Not sayin' that's not the case bigskygirl, but my md-315's end pin had to be practically destroyed taking it out when I replaced the tailpiece. It looked to me like it had been glued in. I got mine new from TMS so it definitely came from the factory that way. I had a md-514 that never had problems, either, & I always use a strap. Just sayin'. Of course, ymmv. :-)

PedsRN, great mando! I got mine from TMS, too, & it was probably the easiest playing mando I've owned! TMS did a super setup!

Take care,

Frank

Welcome to the Cafe', PedsRN...you made a great choice buying the 315. It's a great playing, great sounding mandolin that will do well by you for quite some time. As for picks and straps, I think you'll find that the picks that you use playing the guitar will not do well on a mandolin. They're too thin and flexible to get through the double courses of strings. When I first started on the mandolin, I went to my favorite guitar shop and bought about a dozen picks in different sizes and shapes. I soon found the shape and thickness that worked best for me (I'm using a triangular shaped pick that is 1.5mm thick). Last year while at IBMA, I splurged and bought a Blue Chip for $35.00 (sounds crazy, I know) and love it. Wegan picks for about $5.00 are my second choice...there are others to try as well. Straps - most people use a strap, and you can do something as simple as using a rawhide lace to getting a beautiful braided strap from Lakota Leathers. I feel my mandolin is much more secure with the use of the strap. Regardless of what path you take for lessons, Mandolin For Dummies is a great source book to have for reference. Good luck on your mandolin journey, and have fun!