Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noam and other winners at IBMA

Default Noam and other winners at IBMA

I was just so pleased to see Noam take Banjo Player of the Year, AND Best Album for Noam Pikelny Plays Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Noam Cover 2.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	124463

It's been almost a year since it came out, and I did not feel that it got the recognition it deserved. It's clear that Noam put his heart and soul into it, and to see that recognized really makes me feel good about IBMA. It's that rarest of things, a true 'landmark' recording, that will influence how musicians treat this major American body of musical work, the Monroe instrumentals, for years to come. I couldn't be happier for Noam.

PS Also great to see Dominick Leslie win the Momentum award for mandolin. If you haven't seen his recordings with Chris Eldridge on YouTube, check them out.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Default Re: Noam and other winners at IBMA

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    I was just so pleased to see Noam take Banjo Player of the Year, AND Best Album for Noam Pikelny Plays Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe!

Name:	Noam Cover 2.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	124463

It's been almost a year since it came out, and I did not feel that it got the recognition it deserved. It's clear that Noam put his heart and soul into it, and to see that recognized really makes me feel good about IBMA. It's that rarest of things, a true 'landmark' recording, that will influence how musicians treat this major American body of musical work, the Monroe instrumentals, for years to come. I couldn't be happier for Noam.

PS Also great to see Dominick Leslie win the Momentum award for mandolin. If you haven't seen his recordings with Chris Eldridge on YouTube, check them out.
    Who else won?

2014 HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES
    The Original Seldom Scene
    Neil Rosenberg

2014 DISTINGUISHED ACHIEVEMENT AWARD RECIPIENTS
    Deering Banjo Company
    The Delmore Brothers
    European Bluegrass Music Association
    Hillbilly at Harvard
    Bill Keith
    Molon Labe

ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR
    Balsam Range

VOCAL GROUP OF THE YEAR
    Balsam Range

INSTRUMENTAL GROUP OF THE YEAR
    Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen

SONG OF THE YEAR
    Claire Lynch (artist & co-writer) and Louisa Branscomb (co-writer) - "Dear Sister"

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
    Noam Pikelny - "Noam Pikelny Plays Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe"

GOSPEL RECORDED PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR
    Dailey & Vincent - "Won't It Be Wonderful There?"

INSTRUMENTAL RECORDED PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR
    Special Consensus - "Thank God I'm a Country Boy"

RECORDED EVENT OF THE YEAR
    "Wild Montana Skies" by Special Consensus feat. Claire Lynch and Rob Ickes
    Molon Labe

EMERGING ARTIST OF THE YEAR
    Flatt Lonesome

MALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR
    Buddy Melton

FEMALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR
    Amanda Smith

INSTRUMENTAL PERFORMERS OF THE YEAR
    BANJO
    Noam Pikelny

BASS
    Barry Bales

FIDDLE
    Jason Carter

DOBRO
    Phil Leadbetter

GUITAR
    Bryan Sutton

MANDOLIN
    Adam Steffey
    Molon Labe

BLUEGRASS BROADCASTER OF THE YEAR
    Kyle Cantrell

BLUEGRASS EVENT OF THE YEAR
    Bluegrass Underground

BEST GRAPHIC DESIGN FOR A RECORDED PROJECT
    Lou Everhart (designer) - Chris Jones & The Nightdrivers' "Lonely Comes Easy"

BLUEGRASS PRINT/MEDIA PERSON OF THE YEAR
    Chris Jones

BLUEGRASS SONGWRITER OF THE YEAR
    Tim Stafford
    Molon Labe

7. The following members say thank you to 45ACP-GDLF5 for this post:

Kowboy 

Blog Entries

Gee Adam Steffy again. don't know about you all but WHY!?!?!? Granted his style is what everyone "accept me and maybe a few others don't really care for. He is awesome but not my style I like!!!!!!!!!
    People froth at their mouths but I just don't get it. To me I want originality not freak speed. just saying the days of Duffey,McReynolds,Osborne.Dawg,McCoury and could name a handfull more are over!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

That's why these awards are pretty much a joke.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

It was Steffy wasn't it, who kind of shocked the audience when, complimenting the other nominees, saying of Thile, 'I'm not worthy to carry his case…', which set off laughs and murmurs. Thile didn't play much bluegrass this past year, so I don't think the comment deserves any flame wars. It was meant as an admiring joke and that seems the right way to take it.

But having watched the whole awards feed, I was quite impressed by many of the choices, performances and tributes. Probably the best award ceremony of any kind that I've ever watched - and that's thanks to Producer, Amy Reitnouer of the Bluegrass Situation, I suspect.
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    Gee Adam Steffy again. don't know about you all but WHY!?!?!? Granted his style is what everyone "accept me and maybe a few others don't really care for. He is awesome but not my style I like!!!!!!!!!
    People froth at their mouths but I just don't get it. To me I want originality not freak speed. just saying the days of Duffey,McReynolds,Osborne.Dawg,McCoury and could name a handfull more are over!
    Noam's album featured Ronnie on mando on every track, and won Album of the Year. The days aren't over and that award proves it. Ultimately it comes down to the output of the year and the influence of the artist (among other things). I will say the amount of positive press the entire event is getting after moving to North Carolina should be encouraging to all bluegrass fans, and most of the awards went to more traditional minded players this year (even if they aren't that way all of the time).

14. The following members say thank you to coletrickle for this post:

Boxcars played last weekend at OBX Festival. Took this shot of Adam and for those that are interested it was shot on real b&w film with a Nikon FE camera.

Name:	000002610023 (1).jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	345.4 KB 
ID:	124494
    Mark

Gibson A circa 1917
    Collings Mf 5 "Blackface"

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnmarkva For This Useful Post:

From Brad - "'I'm not worthy to carry his case…',...". Adam Steffey could get a better tone out of any of my cases that i get out of the mandolins !. There's no need for comparisons when you reach the level of CT & AS. They are both incredible players who choose to play in different styles. For me,i don't care for the stuff that CT 'currently' plays,although i have to admire his tremendous talent.
    Interesting to see AS playing what appears to be an Ellis - i wonder what his current mando.arsenal is ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

The awards are great marketing for bluegrass music. As far as who is the best, what song is the best, etc., that's all subjective. If you don't think so, start a thread about 'the best' here.

Having said that, IMHO, Adam is the most 'musical' and most tasteful mandolin player and has been for 20 years. His playing matches and blends and actually enhances the music better than any. Just saw him at the Outer Banks Bluegrass Festival last week, and he confirmed it. Of course, that's only my humble opinion.

Bob
    re simmers

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to re simmers For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by re simmers View Post
    The awards are great marketing for bluegrass music. As far as who is the best, what song is the best, etc., that's all subjective. If you don't think so, start a thread about 'the best' here.

Having said that, IMHO, Adam is the most 'musical' and most tasteful mandolin player and has been for 20 years. His playing matches and blends and actually enhances the music better than any. Just saw him at the Outer Banks Bluegrass Festival last week, and he confirmed it. Of course, that's only my humble opinion.

Bob
    Agreed, no matter who they picked, someone is gonna say so and so deserved it more.
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

Blog Entries

That's NOT true! Long Black Vail. These awards pick the same people over and over. Adam is fantastic but there are other mandolin players out there and again they go unnoticed as with Barry bales, Jason carter, Byron sutton. How many times have these guys won?

Yes they are a joke!

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sachmo63 For This Useful Post:

From the IBMA website....

These awards are to honor people who are known as, and have achieved fame as, bluegrass music performers.......

So the issue is the criteria, the award is for "bluegrass" and if you're not playing in the genre you will get overlooked. Players I can think of aren't considered "bluegrass" so they aren't eligible to win...a shame really but I guess they can compete for other awards.
    Last edited by bigskygirl; Oct-04-2014 at 8:34pm. Reason: Add info
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Wow, not sure how it's possible to diss Adam Steffey just because he won another award. Listen to the tone, timing and taste on New Primitive (played at fairly moderate tempos) and the last couple Boxcars cds and I say he deserves all the accolades he gets. If he's not your cup of tea that's your prerogative but I don't think he deserves to be bad mouthed on here.
    Last edited by Mark Christensen; Oct-04-2014 at 9:18pm.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark Christensen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Christensen View Post
    Wow, not sure how it's possible to diss Adam Steffey just because he won another award. Listen to the tone, timing and taste on New Primitive (played at fairly moderate tempos) and the last couple Boxcars cds and I say he deserves all the accolades he gets. If he's not your cup of tea that's your prerogative but I don't think he deserves to be bad mouthed on here.
    It's not Adam Steffey that is being dissed, it is the whole award show charade.

Refer to #7, sounds like a Diss to me but you agreed with him so your response is no surprise.

I think AS is the most influential mandolin player in my lifetime and such a nice guy that talks to every fan that comes along. What an ambassador for our music, we couldn't as for any better.
    But, I do think that the comment back by Bluegrass78 said in the correct context and spirit does have some merit. Adam has been so influential that if you DONT play like him you are considered sub par either on a amateur or higher level by especially the younger bands and players out there.

I will also say that bluegrass music is the absolute worst genre of music for competition among the players. I have found this true in both secular and gospel music after playing for 30 years. Shame on us for being that way, it's not good for the future of the music.

As a side note, I hope he is playing an Ellis....
    2014 Ellis F
    2012 Gibson F5G
    2012 Martin D18GE
    1990 Martin HD28V (custom prototype)

Nice picture. Can't beat film if you ask me.
    What film are you shooting? I've got an FE2 and a freezer full of Agfapan...
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    That's why these awards are pretty much a joke.
    According to who?
    Molon Labe

My own opinion of the IBMA awards is that they are certainly NOT a 'joke',far from it - but - i will say that there are some very fine musicians who have been overlooked,as mentioned above, Jason Carter to name but one. Jason's been a mainstay of Del McCoury's band for a long time (since 1992) & he's one of my top 3 favourite fiddle players of the current era. his CD "On The Move" is one of the best fiddle albums i have. With so many great musicians in Bluegrass music,it's not really surprising that many deserving ones are overlooked.
    From burt50 - "Can't beat film if you ask me". As a one time avid film user,i tend to agree.However Eastman Kodak would have a different opinion - sadly !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Jason Carter: Fiddler Player of the Year, 2014.
    Look, no award ceremony is going to please everyone, and most have some bias built into the voting rules et c. But if you watched the ceremony this year, you had to be moved by Phil Leadbetter's acceptance talk, by Critter's masterful induction of the original Seldom Scene (including his dad), by Noam's carefully thought out explanation of how the years stretching the limits with Punch Brothers are what let him find his own voice when he went back to play the Monroe/Baker cannon, and lots of great performances. And I missed a lot, watching the live feed when I could. Even the dance number was sweet and appropriate. I think they're heading in a good direction.

Name:	BenandCritter.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	124582
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

Quote Originally Posted by johnmarkva View Post
    Boxcars played last weekend at OBX Festival. Took this shot of Adam and for those that are interested it was shot on real b&w film with a Nikon FE camera.

Name:	000002610023 (1).jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	345.4 KB 
ID:	124494
    Very nice photo. Love the graininess quality of this particular REAL B&W film. He's playing his Ellis.