Thread: Fender FM60E questions

Default Fender FM60E questions

I am considering buying a Fender FM60E 5 string electric mando and thought I would ask a few questions here. I have read the previous threads and am aware that some have had problems with the low C string.

My questions are these:

1. Is anyone currently using one in a regular gigging situation? If so, how is it working for you?

2. Has anyone tried using piezo element saddle sections for an "acoustic" sound and run through output through a TRS output jack with a "Y" cable to isolate the magnetic and piezo pickup signals for separate processing?

Thanks!

Default Re: Fender FM60E questions

I believe a poster here by the name of "mandroid" [?] has one that's been outfitted with piezo synth elements with output coming through a Roland 13-pin. That should give an acoustic sound, but not sure what he's done other than synth.

You can change out the saddles [they are normal Stratocaster type] for either RMC's or GraphTech's and install the appropriate electronics to get a fairly accurate acoustic sound. I have the RMC's on a synth guitar and it's a very nice acoustic tone, all things considered. The hollow body makes it easier to hide electronics away.

I went a different direction on mine; there's a mod-thread here if interested:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ktop-make-over

Regarding regular playing, it's become one of my fave instruments and the one I've been gigging.

I played with different string guages until I got a set that works quite well, although I can't remember what they are so I'll have to find someone with a caliber when it comes time for a string change.

Out of the box I was having problems with the tone and playability. The pickups are meh single-coils that don't humbuck and the pickup selector switch is in exactly the wrong spot. The retro-fit fixed all that and more.

On the plus side, it's an extremely well built instrument made just like Fender makes their high-end Tele thinlines. The neck is comfortable and it's quite light - especially compared to the new Mandostats.

Tons of tones, great range and an all around fun instrument.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-Fender-eMando.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	124454
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Thanks, Verne! I saw the thread about the synth set up but am not really interested in that aspect, just like the idea of blending piezo and magnetic pickup signals and wondered if anyone had done that.

The Graphtech Ghost system is probably your easiest option for adding acoustic-ish tones:

http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/ghost

I must admit to struggling with mine when I first got it - it played horribly and IMHO the stock pups are pretty meh. After the make-over and setup it's a completely different animal and once I accepted it for what it is, not what I wanted it to be, all is good.

It absolutely kills as a hard rocker but cleans up nicely. Think more in the vein of electric guitar than mandolin as far as tone and all will be revealed.

- ---==< V >==--- -

You dont have to use the 13 pin.

Its the black box.

from the 8 pin DIN I got (the tech installation) fit in the edge, replacing the 1/4"

http://www.emando.com/images/builders/Biller.jpg

the RMC polydrive 2 http://www.rmcpickup.com/polydriveii.html
    http://stores.soundislandmusic.com/r...ive-ii-preamp/

was Modified by the Tech to split out the Magnetic pickup signal , #7 pin.

so a separate output for the Preamp .. Battery powered with a 9v in the box,

and the Magnetic pickup
    with its tone and volume controls on the Instrument.

On the cheap perhaps wire all 5 pickup leads together .. add a second 1/4" Jack
    Get a lower cost Preamp for the piezo-s in the bridge.. Baggs, Fishman etc..

OR .. Consider one of Steve Ryder's 5 strings ?
    he will make all that into the instrument, built from scratch ..
    Last edited by mandroid; Oct-03-2014 at 12:20pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Or you can snag one of those Peavey tele's they made a while back that has piezo saddles and a preamp with an acoustic output. People in the know snag those cheap because it's a cheap "Peavey" in the minds of many.

A shout-out for RMC. Great stuff and super helpful/wonderful people. For battery life reasons they use a generic opamp. I found those pretty noisy for direct recording my Godin Multiac; McClish modded a circuit board with a chip socket on it so I could plug in whatever I want. I put in a top-of-the-line TI Excalibur opamp and its super quiet now.

- ---==< V >==--- -

As far as the low C string , you have to adapt to how it sounds . it will not have that tight mandolin sound you get from gdae strings . a 14 1/2 scale helps a small amount . think guitar in drop D or C#

you will need a good preamp / eq to make piezo sound good . the fender is mostly hollow and larger bodied ( for mando's ) so there is lots of room in the body for electronics . I have graph techs Hepander midi system and ghosttech's piezo saddles installed . I purchased the acostisonic preamp expansion module but have yet to install it . this is gear made for electric guitar not 5 string mandolin

8. The following members say thank you to ricomando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by zoukboy View Post
    2. Has anyone tried using piezo element saddle sections for an "acoustic" sound and run through output through a TRS output jack with a "Y" cable to isolate the magnetic and piezo pickup signals for separate processing?Thanks!
    Not on an emando but on my homemade telecaster, I have a Fishman Power Bridge which has piezo elements in each of the bridge saddles which are wired to a stereo output. Ideally I split the signals with an A-B box sending each signal to a dedicated amp or the electric signal to a tube amp and the "acoustic" signal to the mixing board. For practical reasons (who wants to carry 2 amps?) I mostly just use the guitar as an electric with a mono out to the tube amp. Besides that however, the piezo elements are quite difficult to EQ to get an acceptable "acoustic" sound. It's mostly just sounds like another flavor of electric guitar. I suspect that on a mandolin, the piezo elements would give you another "electric" mandolin sound. YMMV and please, if you do this please keep us updated and please take pictures of the process.

Name:	Tele Bridge 002.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	127865

Best of luck,
    Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Last edited by lenf12; Dec-21-2014 at 11:49am.

10. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Here is my Fender

Name:	midi pics 007.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	265.3 KB 
ID:	127907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fender midi 003.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	127908