Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Old Time Intruction for Intermediate Player

Default Best Old Time Intruction for Intermediate Player

Hey all,

I've been moving more and more into old time and looking for good instruction (book or online) for an intermediate-level player. Any advice would be more than appreciated.
    Many thanks!

Default Re: Best Old Time Intruction for Intermediate Player

You don't need no stinking instructions for old time! Just learn the tunes!
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LongBlackVeil For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

There is some truth to that.

Just learn the tunes and don't chop.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    You don't need no stinking instructions for old time! Just learn the tunes!
    Pick & Grin, here is another friendly answer for you:
    Carl Jones Old Time Mandolin Tunes and Tips
    http://www.elderly.com/videos/items/...LLE-DVD012.htm

I don't own this DVD but I have heard him play in an intimate setting and he sounded wonderful.

By the way. "Learning" the tunes is not everything. I can learn the tune and still not sound Old-Timey. Over at the Song-a-Week Social Group there is a lady that can make sound EVERYTHING old-timey, while I am always struggling with it, although I would have the technical skills, I believe.
    Same thing on the fiddle. You can "learn" a tune but bowing in an old-timey style is a different kettle of fish.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manfred Hacker For This Useful Post:

Thanks Manfred Hacker; I think I might give that DVD a try! Yes, following tab is one thing, the sound is something one can pick up, but there are always useful tips, eh?

Perhaps not as "instructional" as you might be looking for, but I thought this tune collection looked interesting.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/79773
    Mitch Russell

9. The following members say thank you to onassis for this post:

Blog Entries

Have you looked in the tablature archive here on MandolinCafe? In the Old Time section.

I would like a good source CD for OT tunes myself

11. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

I think in any music, but maybe even more so with old time. Listening is the most important thing. My problem with books and DVDs (at least the ones I have purchased over the years) is that they spend way too much time teaching tunes, instead of giving tips and teaching how to really listen. It's a personal pet peeve of mine when I buy a book or dvd, and I end up with a songbook or some guy showing me tabs and teaching tunes.

I can get that by myself, for free, that's why honestly at this point I'm really cynical about DVDs and books. I don't know,
    Maybe the dvd mentioned above is better than I think, but I'm not going to be shelling out for another DVD, Most have been a waste of money for me, I have learned most of what I know by listening and learning tunes by ear and by studying jazzmandos ffcp (again free). The ffcp helps learn by ear because if you know the key, you can apply the ffcp and now you know almost all the notes, you just have to put them in order

13. The following members say thank you to LongBlackVeil for this post:

Thanks onassis and Mark Wilson! These are very helpful!

Thank you, too, LongBlackVeil. Yes, this has been a frustration of mine, too, and why I am also cautious about books/dvds/etc., hence the post. Thanks so much for turning me on to ffcp! I'd been consciously doing 1st position ffcp on my solos without realizing it was a thing. Googling it, if found http://jazzmando.com/ffcp.shtml, and am definitely going to get working on the other positions. Thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Pick&Grin View Post
    Thanks onassis and Mark Wilson! These are very helpful!

Thank you, too, LongBlackVeil. Yes, this has been a frustration of mine, too, and why I am also cautious about books/dvds/etc., hence the post. Thanks so much for turning me on to ffcp! I'd been consciously doing 1st position ffcp on my solos without realizing it was a thing. Googling it, if found http://jazzmando.com/ffcp.shtml, and am definitely going to get working on the other positions. Thanks for that!
    I'm glad you looked it up then. Honestly ffcp I think has helped me more than anything so far. Like I said, it really makes it easier to learn by ear, which I think is the ultimate learning method. Ffcp is important no matter what style your playing. Another good site is mandozine.com. Lots of good stuff there. lessons, exercises, tabs, all kinds of stuff.

16. The following members say thank you to LongBlackVeil for this post:

Ace! Thanks, LongBlackVeil!

If I could offer one thing it would be this: Have the ability to swing OR play stuff squarely. Lots of OT fiddle stuff, if it's swung it starts to sound grassy. That's OK if you realize it. If that's what you want. But I'd say having the skill to adjust or shut that swing off will ingratiate you to the OT world. Playing hornpipes and such, sometimes they want to play them with a lilt. This is another rhythm thing that needs to be mastered. Conquer the subtleties. One subset being rhythms. Stemming from OT being the music that folks dance to.

19. The following members say thank you to farmerjones for this post:

Here is a great website that i have been using to learn Old-Time fiddle tunes. Enjoy. some of the recordings are pretty rough but still good.
    http://slippery-hill.com
    Jacob Hagerty, Hagerty Mandolins

James Moodie #8
    Michael Fraser #5
    Jacob Hagerty #1,#2,#3
    1918 Gibson A1
    https://www.facebook.com/hagertymandolins/
    http://foggymemory.com
    http://www.youtube.com/j87571

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jacob Hagerty For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred Hacker View Post
    Pick & Grin, here is another friendly answer for you:
    http://www.elderly.com/videos/items/...LLE-DVD012.htm

I don't own this DVD but I have heard him play in an intimate setting and he sounded wonderful.
    I had not heard of Carl's DVD. He is a great player never flashy; always serves the tune. That's a big part of old-time IMHO.

The OP might enjoy Norman Blake's mandolin DVD as well.

Here's another description of Carl's DVD:

Several tunes slowed down for learning and useful musical "tips" sprinkled in along the way. Simple concepts that make it easier to wind your way through songs and tunes. Erynn Marshall provides guitar back-up. A good addition to any mandolin enthusiasts library.

"I recorded this down in Louisiana with the assist of Wilson Sayoy and his sister Gabrielle--on cameras and production. It was just a few days after my daughter, Kelli, had married Wilson's brother, Joel Savoy, in a lovely ceremony in Eunice. They have many happy years ahead of them I am sure."

1. My Little Home In West Virginia Key of G (Ellis Hall from the Green Mountain Boys fiddled this tune so well)
    2. The Georgia Waltz key of G—being from Macon Georgia, I was compelled to include this one!
    3. Little Princess Footsteps- key of C from Missississppi – fiddler Alvis L. Massengale and the Newton County Hillbillies. One of my all time favorites.
    4. Gwine Down The Valley – A happy little A tune I always enjoy playing and I think you will too.
    5. Wes Muir's Tune—The Key of C and a Missouri tune—always a winning combination. The mandolin works great C as you will "see"."On the video I feel like I was successful in covering a lot of ideas in a short time (these are put into the chapter format for quick access) and Erynn and I had a bit of fun picking as well which I hope comes across."

23. The following members say thank you to Perry for this post:

Thanks farmerjones: great advice!

Thanks a ton, Jacob Hagerty. What a great website, eh? I went to your YouTube page and really enjoyed your playing. I've gotta get working on that Wayfaring Stranger!

Thanks, Perry. Very helpful! I've got a mind to order that DVD, which I will do soon.

Here's the best way to learn. Play along with these folks.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...C36C58B8781B9C

28. The following members say thank you to High Lonesome Valley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by High Lonesome Valley View Post
    Here's the best way to learn. Play along with these folks.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...C36C58B8781B9C
    Certainly all excellent musicians for sure but I would say that is only one style of old time music and most of those folks are more on the bluegrass border with old time. Wonderful videos tho, of course.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

30. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

don't forget to have fun
    --
    Fender FM-52E (2003)
    Rogue RM-100A (2009)
    The Loar LM-400 w/ Cumberland Acoustics Bridge (05/2010)
    unknown project fake resonator from the 30s-40s.

32. The following members say thank you to gauze for this post:

I've spent a lot of time listening to Mike Compton's work with John Hartford. Specifically a show from May 30, 1997 where it's Mike, John, and I believe Darren Vincent (primarily on bass). Lots of ideas of rhythmic accompaniment that is not a chop. Also, another vote for Carl Jones' video.

1924 Gibson A Jr. Snakehead
    2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

34. The following members say thank you to Trey Young for this post:

Registered Plec Offender Mickey King's Avatar

Matt Flinner will be having an online old time music course starting in January. http://http://www.mattflinner.com/2014/11/old-time-mandolin-curriculum/
    Mickey

Skip Kelley-Kentucky F-5
    Northfield F5S
    Collings MT

36. The following members say thank you to Mickey King for this post:

I found this great instruction record from 1977 by Michael Holmes. "Mandolin Instruction: Old Time, Country, and Fiddle"

http://www.amazon.com/Mandolin-Instr.../dp/B000S57C8U

There's three versions of each title. He plays each tune slow, fast, and with accompaniment. I have learned several tunes from it so far, and listen to it while I work for familiarity. While the tunes are a century old, it's new territory for me.

38. The following members say thank you to John O'Brien for this post:

I got a song book for Christmas, Old Time String Band Music for Mandolin, includes a CD with about 10 songs, in multiple versions by multiple artists. 23 tracks total. I have just glanced through the music, there are 70 or so songs. First 6 pages or so have some information on the transcription method he used, and how one can fill out the melody by interpreting the song, or listening to the artists on the tracks.

The recordings are rough, but there are some gems. I have never heard the "All Go Hungry Hash House" before, I need another listen to digest it.

http://www.amazon.com/Time-String-Ba...c+for+mandolin

40. The following members say thank you to Gary Leonard for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by John O'Brien View Post
    I found this great instruction record from 1977 by Michael Holmes. "Mandolin Instruction: Old Time, Country, and Fiddle"

http://www.amazon.com/Mandolin-Instr.../dp/B000S57C8U

There's three versions of each title. He plays each tune slow, fast, and with accompaniment. I have learned several tunes from it so far, and listen to it while I work for familiarity. While the tunes are a century old, it's new territory for me.
    Michael Holmes used to be the person responsible for Mandolin Camp North in Charlton, MA. He's retired as the head but will still be there because it's his baby. There's a pretty good dose of Old Time at the long weekend camp. Highly recommended.
    There's a discussion of it here: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...awesome-lineup!

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

42. The following members say thank you to Ryk Loske for this post: