Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 Good GBOM'S--Comparisons

Default Re: 3 Good GBOM'S--Comparisons

Still undecided but I did just return from Colorado and visited Herb Taylor while there. Great guy, lots of good ideas. And so at the moment he and I are going back and forth, sharing ideas, with the possibility of a new build. And so it goes . . .

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

I'm digging this one out of the thread grave for a good reason -
    I might be considering a short scale instrument with F Holes to compliment my Gzouk.
    I keep looking at Clarks and thinking they look nice, but there's almost NO video footage on YouTube.
    Quite a lot of Old Waves. Brock, thanks to Ms Jarosz. But only about three videos of a Clark, none of which really show what it can do.
    THere's a great one of the Northfield that's up & coming.
    But still no Clark.

I can find a Clark for sale in the UK (Trevor's shop) and some Old Waves, but Black & Brock GBOMs don't appear here much...

So, a shout to all you Clark owners - let's hear em. If they are good I want to know. And I'm in the UK & don't travel....
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0212.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	156.1 KB 
ID:	146302My only "direct" exposure to the Brock had been through Sarah's playing and videos/recording and was leaning that way….

I ran across Austin Clark's website through the forum and started a conversation… He happened to have a finished instrument available. After 5 years of contemplation and jonesing I wouldn't call it an impulse buy, but the deal was made and I've had the OM for almost a month now. It is a non cutaway model.

The workmanship is superb. Fit and Finish excellent. Although I have not had the opportunity to physically play any other OM, I find the sound, tone and playability fantastic.

One thing I noticed once I had the Clark in hand was that the neck is more narrow [mandolin like] than what the Brock appeared to be just from watching Sarah's videos. Austin's [mine] is 1 1/4" at the nut, [Fletcher doesn't list his nut width on the specs on his web site, but it looks to be wider on video and in photos]

I have always been a guitarist first and mandolin is a "second" instrument and when I got the Clark in hand I will admit I had a moment's nervousness about the neck width. However….. I have hands that are on the smaller side, and as I've had more time with the Clark I am finding the smaller neck an advantage for me with the combination of the 20.25" scale. Mandolin intervals and chord/inversions forms are a different animal than the guitar.

I am really happy with the Clark…. and I have it in my hands now rather than waiting on a list for another year or so… Carpe Diem! none of us know how many are left.

The other thing ,that has been mentioned previous in the thread, is that Austin is just a delight to deal with. True gentleman, easy to talk to, and delivers the goods exactly as "advertised".

And as you can see from the attachment it completes my "Brunette" wall nicely.

Sorry Rob but I don't have the recording capability that would give you any true idea of the sound quality….. especially when you consider playback quality. We won't discuss skill on the new instrument….at this point at least. If there is one over there in the UK that you can get your hands on in person I highly recommend you give it a test drive and hear for yourself.

Mike
    Last edited by michaelcj; May-14-2016 at 10:19am.

At Wintergrass a few years back Darrol Anger and Sarah Jarosz hosted am OM workshop. I brought my 21" TJ Jessen F4. We sat around and tried each other's instruments. Sarah's Brock was a great OM. I think Darrol had a cutaway GOM by Andrew Mowry? Austin Clark (and Andrew Mowry) were in the instrument room with their wonderful work as always. You couldn't go wrong with any of the OM's there that day. But if it were my informed purchase, considering workmanship, tone, cost and back order waiting list I would call Austin Clark and place an order.

5. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

2 Words - Andrew Mowry
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

7. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

40bpm 

Went another, and most unexpected way - I ended up buying the Sobell Cittern that was recently in the classifieds (long scale). Would've been great to get the Clark; but the lure of having a mandocello and zouk in one instrument appealed massively (CGDAD tuning at the mo!).

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    My band's website

9. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

I am just trying to imagine how the discussion with the other half would go, I can't see me getting away with
    the lure of having a mandocello and zouk in one instrument appealed massively

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    I am just trying to imagine how the discussion with the other half would go, I can't see me getting away with
    One of the joys of bachelorhood…… there have to be a few…. it's only fair

It would be wrong to assume I'm a bachelor.

My band's website

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    My wife sometimes assumes I soon will be when another mandolin shows up at the door...

Speaking for myself there mate…...

15. The following members say thank you to michaelcj for this post:

Well for "inquiring minds" I acquired an Old Wave GBOM after all the dust settled. Just a fantastic instrument. I had some setup tweaking done after receiving it, just to make it easier to play--it was well setup when I got it new--and that was the trick. I put flatwound strings on it and it now plays and sounds like a dream. Bill Bussman being the creator of these instruments picked out beautiful woods front and back. The top is Engleman from Colorado. My regular F5 has a 1-piece Sitka top and now I'm an Engleman owner as well. Not wanting to take heat from anyone, but I believe red spruce shouldn't be considered the only game in town. MY wife actually likes the OM better than my F5. Maybe that says something about my playing ability, too. So this new mandolin has been well received here at home. Be sure to check out the Old Wave.

well mine likes my tenor guitar above my wonderful forster zouk, the mandolins, and the sobell (though she likes that one v much)... maybe we should start a thread of "i have all this gear, but my wife/husband likes this one best.." :D

My band's website

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Mine likes my nylon string classical tenor guitar because it is the quietest!

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dorenac View Post
    I put flatwound strings on it and it now plays and sounds like a dream.
    Which strings did you install? I recently acquired a Black GBOM with a 21.5" scale, and while I've been running D'Addario EJ80's thus far, its old Epiphone archtop guitar styling has me wondering how it would respond to flatwounds.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Using Bill Bussman's suggestion for gauges I used TI's: .013, .023, .033,.047. I don't like the "sparkly" brite sound that many OM players enjoy. These TI's offer a warm, round, soft tone which is my preference. Also the sound probably "decays" a little quicker than bronze strings. Again my intention. I also used rubber grommets between the bridge and tailpiece. After the additional setup I've found it very easy to play.

21. The following members say thank you to dorenac for this post:

Just for comparison's sake, My Clarke with a 20.25" scale is strung with JP phosphor bronze; .052, .034, .023, .013.

The .052 G course is in a pretty sweet spot between too floppy and too thudy… and I might even try upping it to .054.

If I were change strings today I might up the G's, maybe split the difference between .047 and .052. Although I'm not unhappy with this current configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by dorenac View Post
    If I were change strings today I might up the G's, maybe split the difference between .047 and .052. Although I'm not unhappy with this current configuration.
    Replied to your PM hope you got it. Congrats on the new order. M

well mine likes my tenor guitar above my wonderful forster zouk, the mandolins, and the sobell (though she likes that one v much)... maybe we should start a thread of "i have all this gear, but my wife/husband likes this one best.." :D
    My wife is OK with the guitar, mando, bass, and OM, but she's not a fan at all of the banjo. Not my playing, just the sound in general...not that my playing's any good, either. Smart lady, there...

While she pretty much hates the banjo, she does love a good banjo joke! Definitely a keeper!!
    Chuck

In defence of my wife probably the worst I would get is a pitying look.

In terms of preferences they have all become a lot more acceptable since I got a posh shed/office to play them in.

27. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

fox