Thread: How to become a performer?

I played out for the first time a few weeks ago at an open mic. Played with two pickin buddies, a guitar player and banjo player and lucky the event was videotaped. I was really amazed to see that we actually looked and sounded pretty good. So now the seed is planted and we have plans to do a few more open mics.

Because we videotaped we were able to look back at the evening and I did notice a few things in my playing I would like to improve upon. Most notable I tended to look down at the fret board the majority of the time we were up there.

My question is beyond being able to play your instrument competently, what other skills do you feel takes a musician and propels then into being a performer?

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Sadly enough being competent on your instrument is really not that important when considering the word performer, or #even entertainer, when considering a normal audience. #What is important is CONFIDENCE-first and foremost. #Also being comfortable on stage, having a nice repore(SP) with the crowd. #Being able to make your personality come through in your performance in a way that people respond to. #All of these things trump competence almost every time. #Learning to entertain can be harder than learning to play for some people-me included.

I agree a lot with Mike. As musicians we might focus on style, perfecting a part, having the best instrument, etc. The audience wants to be entertained. As long as you can connect with the audience you can do well. (Obviously some talent and skill is required, just not as much as we might think.)

No one has ever come up to me after a performance and told me I was playing the wrong brand of instrument.
    Gary Blanchard
    Original Acoustic and Electric Music
    http://www.irismusica.net

I think it depends on what kind of music you are playing, in what kind of venues and what kind of performance you want to do. I play church music in front of hundreds of people every week. this doesn't require much audience interaction, although there are some do's and don'ts about "stage presence" in that setting. Also, I play with an old-time string band, mostly for contra dances. Again, there is not much requirement there for interaction, since the caller does nearly all the interaction with the audience. We have done festival performances, though, that require more "showmanship." There, we try to work out in advance what kind of "patter" we are going to do between tunes. We also try to do a lot of eye contact with the audience and each other and always make it obvious we are having a good time playing. I know that other situations require even more showmanship and stage presence and while I admire those who can do that, it does not interest my group. So it's all in what you want to do.

Here is what I have done and would recommend. Videotape a performance, if you can, of a group that has the level of showmanship and stage presence you would like to have. Then videotape one of your own performances. Compare them and figure out what you need to do. Then you can even rehease in front of the camera, pretending the lens is an audience, until you get it right. Also, playing out consistently really helps.

A great rule of thumb for me is this:

If you are having fun, it is very hard for the audience not to have a good time, too.

But this is maybe trickier than it seems. #If you are not happy with your (or another band members) chops, singing/harmonies, an arrangement, a venue, that your car broke down, etc., you might have a difficult time having fun at the gig.

Z
    Member since 2003!

Registered User El Rey del Mando's Avatar

Darren,Sounds to me like,all you need is a bass player and off you go.lots-o luck in your future gigs.

John

Speak slower than you normally would. Not slow, but avoid rushing your speach out of nervousness.

Make larger gestures than you normally would. Extend your whole arm when directing the audience's attention toward the dobro player whom you just introduced.

Mind your posture. Keeping your back straight lends an air of confidence. But, do act naturally, not stiff.

Be yourself. I think this is the most important one, even when it contradicts other advice. An audience can smell phoniness a mile off. (Of course, some audiences like the phony stuff ... )

When I'm singing I keep my head up and sight the back wall just over the last head. But, I just as often close my eyes if I'm truly lost in the song. That's probably a bad habit, but I've often been told it's 'endearing' and makes me 'believeable'.

Likewise, I try to keep good posture, but if I really get into my playing I'll hunch over and hop around, stomp my foot, wiggle ... same thing as closing my eyes, probably a bad habit, but the audience likes that I let my personality show through.

I also benefit a lot from time spent in community theater. Above and beyond the lessons on stage presence, were the invaluable studies in the manipulation of Stage Focus - using stage behavior to will the audience's attention toward specific points of interest. The musical applications are huge.

- Benignus

Benignus, I come from a theater background as well and find that rules of the stage work for music. When I'm going good I'm moving with the music (not dancing) and this helps "sell" the song. I am also guilty of closing my eyes or looking at a spot above the audience, but I have been taught that it is best to look at people in the audience, sing or play to them, move from one person to another, as then the audience feels you're playing to them.

Wayne
    Smile Anyway

I agree with the oppinons of alot of you all. If you looke comfortable and are up on stage then the audience will enjoy you and your music. Unless you are comfortable with something that sound like ####.

Anyway if you are crowd friendly and can relate and get along with the crowd you will be a pleaser. And most important.. have a good time.

You guys are leaving out the most important part - clothes.

Get one of the following and wear it to every performance:

Hiwayun shirt
    Stetson hat
    overhauls
    suit & tie

and don't get all ambitious and try to wear them all at once
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by (picksnbits @ Mar. 22 2005, 08:44)
    You guys are leaving out the most important part - # #clothes.

Get one of the following and wear it to every performance:

Hiwayun shirt
    Stetson hat
    overhauls
    suit & tie

and don't get all ambitious and try to wear them all at once
    There is something to that. After years of wearing "whatever" when I perform I put together a performance outfit. I wear a collarless shirt or a white shirt, black pants with black braces (button, not clip) round tortise shell glasses (though I have just ordered a pair of round rimless to rplace them), and a derby hat, which is my nod to John Hartford as well as a way to add to the "old-time" look. Now I feel more like a performer and therefore act more like a performer. The audience seems to like it as well, it makes them feel I have made an effort. #
    Gary Blanchard
    Original Acoustic and Electric Music
    http://www.irismusica.net

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Actually, you don't have to go any farther than observing a really good, traditional blues guitar player to understand the secret to good performance:
    Facial Expressions...
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

I do a lot of open mic stuff, and it is good experience to work up a couple of songs a week, and network with other muscians that are in a similar area of their career.
    Biggest thing I feel is important,is to remember for those 5-10 minutes you are up there, is that you are the audience's main point of focus when you start, and it is your job to keep their attention to the end.
    Grab the ball and run with it!
    Introduce yourself if the MC does not, say a quick little thing about your song to initiate interest, and give it your best!
    Watch what the folks are doing that seem to be the most successful, and distill from that what might work for you.
    If there are more that one open mics in your area, attend them. you might be suprised to see a lot of familiar faces as performers, and in the audience.become a regular every week, and you can likely make some great connection

Thanks everyone, this was the type of advice I was looking for.

picksnbits - That is funny you mentioned proper stage attire. #The two other guys suggested we get decked out in suits and at first I wasn't hip to the idea. #But in hindsight I am glad we did. #An acquaintance that just happened to be there that night commented on how professional we looked and acted. #I guess we are doing something right.

Benignus - My posture was something else I noticed on the tape. #Mine is horrible. #I was bent over my axe the whole time we were up there, even when I was just chopping chords. #I am going to force myself to stand up straight and look into the eyes of the audience.

Again thanks for the replies, I will really take your suggestions to heart as we plan to do another open mic in the next two weeks.

All good things to do and experiment with to see what works best for your situation. Another thing is what you do before and after the performance. Talk to the people! Answer their questions, take time with them, let them play your instrument (as circumstance allows), be a REAL PERSON. They will remember a genuine spirit far longer than a stage presence.
    Gibson A-9
    Fender FM-63
    Gibson A-12
    (Just for starters.......)