Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Retirement Beginner

Default Re: Retirement Beginner

Yep, still like my 305 after 2 years. There are things I like about that flat finish. Makes me brave. I still take it to the weekly jam because I'm not afraid of a scuff and it cuts through fine.

Set up is key.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Must. Keep. Practicing. Ben Cooper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    Don't listen to him Bob. They are out there, if you know where to look.
    My wife is my mandolin groupie!

And I feel like a young'un as I picked up the mandolin at nearly 36 years old and no where near retiring yet. Can't wait to retire though so I can devote as much time to the mandolin as I want too! Good Luck and I envy you the time you can spend on it!
    Last edited by Ben Cooper; Sep-20-2014 at 10:33am.
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

Ben

Enjoy every day God gives you. Don't wish your life away. Thanks for the best wishes.

The only reason that I say this is my friend lived for retirement and passed away 3 months later.

Thanks again enjoy your family. Take Care

Sorry for being so sappy
    Last edited by Bob byk; Sep-20-2014 at 6:19pm.

4. The following members say thank you to Bob byk for this post:

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob byk View Post
    Ben

Enjoy every day God gives you. Don't wish your life away. Thanks for the best wishes.

The only reason that I say this is my friend lived for retirement and passed away 3 months later.

Sorry for being so sappy
    Nothing sappy about it. I've been blessed with five years retired so far, and have lost a lot of friends who never got the chance or got just a smidgeon of retired time. Live every hour as a special gift.

Have to admit, got into mandolin after "forever" on the guitar, and it's led me into tenor guitar, tenor banjo and ukulele. Retirement's given me the opportunity to experiment with a lot of things that I never had the time to do when working.
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

I own the Michael Kelly pictured in my avatar and also a Loar 505 tell me what you think of those 2. Also I`m dying to buy a Collins A style???

Ben

Sorry for being so sappy
    That's whats so great about this site is a place to share your feelings and a common love of small instrument called a mandolin. Now that is sappy @ age 58!!!

I did not think of asking when purchased, what is the best way to store ? I have the soft gig bag.

Soft gig bag is fine for keeping at home and general purposes. Might get a hard case for more serious traveling. One great thing about a mandolin is that it will fit in the overhead on a plane. I would never check one.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Ended up with the Eastman305. Hated spending the extra coin, but loved everything about the 305. Thank everyone for their help.
    Great choice. I have tried out several 305's and found them superior in sound and playability to Eastman's more expensive models. Your 305 should take you a long ways and you may never "need" anything else.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Should I store the bag laying down or hang up. If laying down on back or side? Or, doesn't really matter.

They like to sleep on their back. Or standing up is fine. The gig bad is fine too. I haul mine everywhere.

But don't store it. Play it. Get a stand and leave it out at the ready and on the stand and you will practice more.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

"Store" was a poor choice of words . Thanks
    Last edited by Bob byk; Sep-22-2014 at 2:06pm.

I just got back from out of town so I am late to this thread. Congrats on retirement and on your awesome choice of instrument! I'm also retired and loving it.

My mandolin sleeps in a gig bag, and I keep in on its side, but that's because my house (and rooms) are small and occupied by klutzy people. I'm afraid of it falling over if it's on its tail, or getting stepped on if on its back. I don't have room for a stand, so the case it is. I didn't see much mention of humidification - you can buy one, or make one. I use an empty, clean plastic spice jar with two slightly damp cotton balls inside, with the perforated lid on to keep the balls in place. It's lightweight and won't do any damage if it clonks into the mandolin.

I'm sure many will disagree with this, but don't lock yourself into one playing style this early. I found that as much as I enjoy listening to bluegrass, I wasn't at all interested in playing it, so I wander between folk (early and revival), cowboy, old standards, show tunes, classical, and other miscellaneous categories. Whatever you wind up playing, one suggestion I offer is to learn one or two simple tunes as well as you can right at the beginning (once you know the basics), and start and end your practice sessions with them. If you have a frustrating time with other tunes or methods, it really helps mentally to start and end with something that sounds pretty good! Now go play that thing!
    "The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret" -- (Terry Pratchett, The Truth) R.I.P. and say "ook" to the Librarian for me.