Thread: Lyrics for "Going Up" by Doyle Lawson

Default Lyrics for "Going Up" by Doyle Lawson

All, I am looking for lyrics on a song called "Going Up" which was recorded by Doyle Lawson and I think the Bluegrass Cardinals.
    The lyrics to the chorus went something like this:
    Going Up ( I'm going way up)
    Just to see my saviour there
    Going Up ( I'm going way up)
    To let him free my soul from sin

Any help would be appreciated!
    08' Gibson Fern
    1964 Martin D-18
    www.potterswheelgospel.com

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Default Re: Lyrics for "Going Up" by Doyle Lawson

That was with J D Crowe and the KY Mountain Boys (J D baritone vocal, Larry Rice lead vocal/mando, Doyle tenor/guitar) on LEMCO, about 1971. This was Doyle's first gospel project -- of course it was JD's group but there's no doubt Doyle is the genius behind the song selection and arrangement.

In the previous LP "Bluegrass Holiday" from about 1970 (Red Allen singing leads, Doyle this time on mando) Doyle dug out "Little Bessie". I think that qualifies as the beginning of his gospel career.

I believe it's by Vern Gosdin but I don't have the CD in front of me or nearby. From memory:

Verse:
    There's a man who is standing at the pearly gates / and I know he'll let me in
    For I'm going there for to see my saviour / let him free my soul from sin

Chorus:
    (as you wrote it -- Doyle has the leading voice on the chorus, the tenor leads it)

Verse:
    Oh I want to be ready when he calls for me / I want to wear a long white robe
    I want to wear those golden slippers on my feet / when he calls me I must go

(Chorus)

Swampy, thanks so much for the lyrics. I did find out it was a Gosdin Brothers song. I had no idea it was on the Model Church project by J.D. I wonder why that album was released so long after it was recorded? I think the song was recorded in 1971 and Model Church was released in 1978? Is that right ?
    08' Gibson Fern
    1964 Martin D-18
    www.potterswheelgospel.com

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

No, Model Church was released right when it was recorded, on LEMCO. The rights were later picked up by County (!! thanks Dave Freeman !!) along with the other LEMCO LPs "Bluegrass Holiday" (with Red Allen) and "Rambling Boy" (with Larry Rice -- renamed "Blackjack" by County) and reissued.

I well remember purchasing both the Model Church and Rambling Boy LP's from Larry in the band's motor home at Gettysburg festival in August 1971, while JD and the boys ate fried chicken. Was it $4 per LP?

I always liked the recording of Going Up by the Hillmen (Vern & Rex Gosdn, Dave Parmley, & Chris Hillman). I remember getting the cassette (remember those?) of the recording as a gift when suscribing to BU.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

6. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

Hi. My name is Rock.I play Bass for "The Dave Gosdin Band" in Atlanta Ga .He is Vern oldest brother's son. Dave said his mother wrote this song and Vern and Rex kinda took it .But he said Rex gave her all his royalties But not ol Vern LOL. Dave's dad was the first with the Gosdin family band. This was when Vern was in diapers.

Speaking of the Model Church album, in my opinion it is one of two best bluegrass gospel album ever recorded, the other being Calling My Children Home ( Country Gentlemen) both by Lawson as a side man.