Thread: Weber Aspen I or Eastman MD305?

Default Weber Aspen I or Eastman MD305?

I visited my local music shop today and there were two mandolins that caught my eye. An Eastman MD305 for $395 and a Weber Aspen I for $995. Both of these are new instruments and both sounded good to my ear. The Aspen had much greater sustain and overall tone in my opinion. I would play mostly classical music and almost no bluegrass. My mandolin collection composes of a $49 rogue, and two solid body electric mandolins. I am in a metal band and I play the electrics for that, but I want a good acoustic mandolin.

Are these good prices that they are offering and if so, which one should I get?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Weber Aspen I or Eastman MD305?

I love the Aspen. I have an Aspen II, the difference being cosmetic. It has incredible sustain and a beautiful sound. Very un-Gibson. It is capable of doing everything well, with the exception that it is not a bluegrasser.

The Eastman, being an arch top with F holes will be better suited for bluegrass. I will let others comment on it, but from your post I think you would be very very happy with the Aspen. I love mine. I also think it would be a better mandolin overall.

IMO
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MosquitoXEL View Post
    Are these good prices that they are offering and if so, which one should I get?
    The Eastman is a good price, provided that it is set up, as it goes for $479 at Elderly: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/n...ag--MD305C.htm.

The Weber is probably the better mandolin and also better suited to your applications, although I'd have a hard time paying a thousand dollars for a flattop when alternatives can be found for half that figure.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I love the Aspen. I have an Aspen II, the difference being cosmetic. It has incredible sustain and a beautiful sound. Very un-Gibson. It is capable of doing everything well, with the exception that it is not a bluegrasser.

The Eastman, being an arch top with F holes will be better suited for bluegrass. I will let others comment on it, but from your post I think you would be very very happy with the Aspen. I love mine. I also think it would be a better mandolin overall.

IMO
    Thank you for your quick reply. Do you think that $995 is a fair price for it? I know that the list price is $1299. What other mandolins should I look for in that price range?

There is also a used Weber Hyalite on craigslist in my area for $950. Which of these three would be the best purchase for me?

The Aspen is fairly priced if it is truly new with Weber warrantee. If it is new it is NOS. Weber ceased production on their flat top line a couple of years ago.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    The Aspen is fairly priced if it is truly new with Weber warrantee. If it is new it is NOS. Weber ceased production on their flat top line a couple of years ago.
    The salesman said that it is in fact new and has been in the shop for several years. It was stored behind a glass display in a humidified room and when I first picked it up it was still in tune. When I sighted down the neck, there was absolute no warping and the intonation was perfect. It included a lifetime warranty with Weber as well as a lifetime warranty with the shop.

If you think you will keep it long term, an Aspen I is a good instrument that adds variation to a collection of mandolins. Not great for bluegrass but very sweet sound. I played a number of hyalites and owned one but traded it in long ago, not bad for under a grand but it left me wanting more of that arched top mando sound - like the instrument was almost there. I believe if I had bought an Aspen instead I would have kept it, since it fills a different niche in tone (assuming you want that niche). As stated above, it is a lot of money considering other great mandos in that price range, but this is one of the better non-bluegrass options in that range.

If you played the eastman and are happy with the tone and playability it may suit your needs, and many out there are content with them. But if it were ME I would already be dreaming about my next instrument - the eastman seems more like a stepping stone rather than a destination (again, for me).
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

I have a Weber and am very happy with it. If the Weber has been there for a long period of time I am sure the owner would like to move it. The Eastman is priced nicely, the 305 is a nice little mandolin. Have you considered buying both in a package deal. You would have two pretty nice mandolins with very differant voices that should cover just about any type of music. And I bet you could get a pretty nice package deal if you pressed the issue.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

See if you can get him down a bit, and grab the Weber. As mentioned earlier, if it's been there a while, he may be open to a deal. I've had at least a dozen Webers over the years, from flat tops like the Y2K to their f-hole F models(had a bad case of MAS for several years, in remission now). It will keep its value better than the Eastman if you need to move it later, and likely comes with one of their excellent cases, which are worth the price of many cheap mandolins. It's a good fit for the music you listed. I just traded for a used Aspen, and it was a good move. Great little instrument with more sound than you'd expect. Can't beat Webers for build quality. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

I have an Aspen1, & love it. I have never met an Eastman mandolin that could compare. I also play many styles, but not much BG. I would note however that I have played many Eastman guitars that I would have liked to own, I'm just not partial to their mandos and I have played no less than 15, probably 20. I would buy another Aspen in a second.
    The registered user formerly known as 1-2-many.

Blog Entries

That is a good price for the Aspen, but if you can get a better price, by all means do so. But I would not walk away at $995.00 for a Weber Aspen I new with original HSC.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Well I did it guys, I got the Aspen! Not only that, but I was able to talk the salesperson down to $799. It is the best sounding mandolin I've ever played and the tone is just incredible. I will be keeping it for a lifetime. Pictures to follow (of course)!

Congratulations, you will love your Weber.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

Good job! I paid about the same in trade plus cash for a used 2006 model, so you definitely scored. Only had it a few days, but it sounds better every time I play it. A new set of J62s really seemed to wake it up, tons of volume but still very sweet tone. Enjoy it, you've done well. Frank.
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

If it's been sitting that long, it's only going to sound better in the coming days/weeks/months.

Great score - enjoy it in good health!
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Nice, you will never experience buyer's remorse with this one!
    Blow on, man.

Well I did it guys, I got the Aspen! Not only that, but I was able to talk the salesperson down to $799. It is the best sounding mandolin I've ever played and the tone is just incredible. I will be keeping it for a lifetime. Pictures to follow (of course)!
    Congrats! I should get you to negotiate my next purchase
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Well I did it guys, I got the Aspen!
    Congratulations! Good for you. Great mandolin at a great price. As the owner of two Webers, each of which I consider to be permanent members of my very small collection, I hope you will be as happy with this Weber as I am with mine. Sure, I have other mandolins I also love, but my Webers are, for me, as good as it gets.

Blog Entries

Congrats and enjoy it.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +