Thread: They're not Mandolins But ....

Default They're not Mandolins But ....

I know this may be a bit off topic, but if you are in Southern California between now and late October try to get by the Museum of Making Music in Carlsbad for the "Banjo in America" special exhibit. There are some incredibly beautiful instruments on display that have either been acquired by the museum of borrowed from collectors across the nation.

Of course they also have some great mandos in the permanent exhibit.

I have just about overdosed in music there this weekend with a banjo string band performing on Friday night followed by a showing of the movie "Give me the Banjo." The movie was shown with Tony Trishka moderating.

Saturday was highlighted by an old time music group followed by a Bluegrass slojam and then topped by a Tony Trishka concert in the evening.

Today Deering is sponsoring an instructional day for those of us the don't play the banjo. Sigh!! will this mean another instrument that I will play poorly???
    Eastman 804V
    Kentucky KM-505
    Banjos - Deering Goodtime 19 Fret Tenor & 5 string
    Guitars:

2006 Taylor GS5 - For Sale
    2014 Taylor 114e
    1986 Martin MC28 Acoustic/Electric
    Holden Village Taylor GS Mini & Mahogany GS Mini

Default Re: They're not Mandolins But ....

Thanks for the heads up, joemcg. Sounds like a fun exhibit and a good museum in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleosporin View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, joemcg. Sounds like a fun exhibit and a good museum in general.
    You are welcome. It's definitely worth the time to see. The museum is sponsored by NAMM, and is in their HQ, right behind Legoland for those of you visiting the area.
    Eastman 804V
    Kentucky KM-505
    Banjos - Deering Goodtime 19 Fret Tenor & 5 string
    Guitars:

2006 Taylor GS5 - For Sale
    2014 Taylor 114e
    1986 Martin MC28 Acoustic/Electric
    Holden Village Taylor GS Mini & Mahogany GS Mini

Sounds like a fun exhibit and a good museum in general
    I just visited this museum last month on my trip to San Diego. One F-styl Loar mandolin is displayed and available for the visitor to play. I did play it, it sounds great. However, not all the instruments in this museum are great. there was some strum sticks that are either off-tuned or sound bad.
    The auto harp on display is a small one (24-strings, 5 chords), violins are in the glass cabinets so no touch.
    Some harps are displayed too but these are the small ones (about 2 feet tall), not the real big ones.