Thread: Rickenbacker Electric Mandolin

Default Rickenbacker Electric Mandolin

Among other stuff, here:

http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/4625131724.html

Anyone seen one of these before? It looks like a bumblebee!

NFI on my part.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Default Re: Rickenbacker Electric Mandolin

That is still a current Rickenbacker model: http://www.rickenbacker.com/model.asp?model=5002V58
    2011 Weber Special Edition Oval Hole
    2010 Kentucky KM-254
    circa 1930 Stradolin rescue

From the Elderly Archives:
    http://www.elderly.com/new_instrumen...5002V58-JG.htm

And a trade show babe from the 50's hanging on to one:
    http://www.rickenbacker.com/gallery_...lery_year=1950
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

So, Jaycat dare I say it?

"Was you ever bit by a dead bee?"
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by mando.player View Post

And a trade show babe from the 50's hanging on to one:
    http://www.rickenbacker.com/gallery_...lery_year=1950
    Cool photo, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    So, Jaycat dare I say it?

"Was you ever bit by a dead bee?"
    "I've no memory of ever being bit by any kind of bee."

He wants $1800 for it. I'll pass.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

What is the current price of a new one? Are the new ones still US made? and the one that Elderly had was for $1600 + list price. I don't know about you guys but I've always been able to walk away with paying 20% (or more) less than list on any new instrument. We don't know if the one on CL is vintage or not but I somehow doubt it.

No, it's not vintage. There have been two or three batches of these since they were brought back in 1997 or so. Not currently in production, but not a lot of demand for them either. I've had a couple and don't find them very easy to play, and certainly didn't sell either of them for $1800.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

His ad also pictures the soundhole of a Gibson mandolin, but his ad doesn't mention it being for sale. He also pictures his puppy, so you know he is a good guy....

I thought maybe he's selling the puppy,maybe to feed hungry pit bulls----

I've got one of those Ricks- that I got in trade with Mr. Mando himself. Not a black one (which I think is way cool), but the natural one. I really like it, and sorry Martin, find it fun and easy to play. It has that twangy Birds like tone, especially when played with a little reverb. From what I read, the original one back in the 60's was made for Roger McGuinn of the Byrds, who also played a Rick 12 string guitar. It always gets noticed when I play a gig with it- with the usual comment- "I didn't know Rickenbacker made an electric mandolin". Or of course the usual, "what the heck is that?" $1800 seems a bit steep, but like Martin said, they don't make them anymore.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Just read on Rickenbackers site that the first one was made in 1958, so I guess that story about the first one being made for Roger McGuinn is not true. Perhaps they made a custom model for him. I'm not sure where I heard the McGuinn/Rickenbacker connection.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    I've got one of those Ricks- that I got in trade with Mr. Mando himself. Not a black one (which I think is way cool), but the natural one. I really like it, and sorry Martin, find it fun and easy to play.
    Glad to hear that! I remember thinking the neck wasn't that comfortable for me, but that's very much a personal matter. One of the original 12 in 1958 did go to the Byrds, and in fact that very instrument has been offered on eBay a few times of late, in the $3-4K range if memory serves. But I don't think it was the first one.