Thread: Good string for classical sound

Just finished breaking in a set of D'Addario strings on my borrowed Larson mandocello, but they still seem REALLY bright to me, and I don't like the feel of the G strings (I am going with a single C but 2 Gs). I am guessing I want to try Thomastik next, but would like to hear from MO players to see what 'dola and 'cello players prefer. THANKS for any input!
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Perhaps Dogal or Pyramid strings might work better. Single course C string makes sense and was an option that Calace himself employed.

I use round wound strings (bronze) which I had made by Lenzner for the scale length of my cello (600mm). They have a very clear sound though, which I prefer. I wouldn't use single C strings as that makes a different sound (and volume), certainly for tremolo. I've tried d'Addario (round wound) as well, but only for mandolin. If they were the right size they'd be very good strings (too high tension for the mandolin strings). The same goes for Hannabach and Dean Markley. They're excellent quality and very good for let's say a Gibson mandolin, but too heavy for the classical mandolins. I would love to try them in a 'light' version, but till now I couldn't find that.
    (Maybe their cello strings are the right size for a classical cello as well, I haven't tried them yet.)
    If you want to hear the sound of the Lenzner cello strings, you can listen to this #TRIOSONATE IN C MAJOR (H. Purcell) , or other recordings at #this page.

Quote Originally Posted by (violmando @ Mar. 19 2005, 23:51)
    my borrowed Larson mandocello
    Is this a vintage Larson Brothers instrument or a contemporary one made by Daniel Larson? I am very curious in either case. I actually didn;t know that Daniel Larson made mandocellos.

It might make a difference in terms of what strings you would use.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It's a Larson Bros. instrument--actually has a Stahl tag on the inside. If I had a digi camera, I'd take a picture--it's a lovely instrument and I wish it was mine!
    Thanks for the advice, folks!
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Is the one you have like the one on the left? Photo from the Hartman book.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stahl_mandossm.gif 
Views:	203 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	7500  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yep, that's my borrowed baby! I really like its sound, but the strings were old, so I replaced them about a month ago, but they still sound too bright and tinny.
    I had also borrowed a Gibson from the '20s but it just seemed too big for me....Really like the size of the Larson for shifting. I am actually a double bassist, but I have the smallest bass playing hands I've ever come across so a shallow neck width is best.

I would use lighter strings on this 'cello also as on any vintage flatback.You nmay need to do a custom set.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Jim, when you say "custom set" how do I go about getting these? Do you have a place/person you'd recommend? This is a whole new ballgame for me, as I've only been on mando for about a year---THANKS!

Std D'addario strings are (in inches): .074, .048, .034, .022

You have a few possibilities.

First, what is the scale length of this m'cello? If it is short enough, maybe the std string tension is fine.

You could try Dogal Calace strings for "mandoloncello" set ##RW93. One problem I have is that there is no info on their site as to the gauges or tensions.

In the US, the sole importer of the mandolin strings is:
    Classic Bows, Inc., PO Box 81655, San Diego, CA 92138
    Phone: 1-888-402-5277
    email: classicbows@nethere.com
    Talk to Greg Gohde

The other alternative is to create your own set of loopend strings. You can buy single strings from
    Juststrings.com, for instance.

BTW if you don't like the sound of the D'addarios, perhaps the Thomastiks might be good (tho expensive) but you could even try silk and steel, assuming that you can fgind that Cstring gauge anywhere.

Let us know what you come up with.

Good Luck!

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

ever willing to tout the merits of nylgut ... you might consider contacting aquilacorde here in italy:

http://www.aquilacorde.com/home1.htm

mimmo is the man to talk to - his english is much better than my italian. they have an american outlet as well but i don't have the address.

they make wonderful strings.

- bill

No doubt that Nylgut is a good nylon string, but I am not sure that it will sound very good on an instrument originally intended for metal strings. Sort of like putting nyon strings on a flattop steel guitar.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Because I am REALLY busy this time of year--school music teacher--I went with an easy experiment--Thomastiks are easy to get. I'll let you all know when I get them on--I'm hoping for at least new Gs by a gig on the 10th. These round wounds are killing me!

jim - perfectly true! i wasn't paying attention. i associate "classical" with gut and gut with nylgut.

- bill

Violmando - I know what you mean about roundwound cello strings sounding too bright and metallic, especially when playing tremolo on the C string. A solution I've stumbled on is to wrap a bit of scotch tape around the string where the pick contacts it. The right amount of tape will take out the jangly overtones without overly deadening the sound. You'll have to experiment to find what works for you.
    I normally use Thomastiks, but they tend to start sounding dead fairly quickly, especially the lower strings. Thanks to the tape trick, I've managed to pair a roundwound string with a Thomastik on the C course with very little noticeable difference between them.

THANKS for the tip, Jonathan---guess I'll be experimenting with tape when the new strings come!
    Yvonne

OK--got another question about these:
    The new Thomastik strings came today and by putting on the Gs I can tell already there will be an improvement. But I encountered a problem and also have another question:
    Problem: Cstring winding is too thick for C peg hole. How do you go about reaming it out? Keep in mind that this is a vintage Larson Bros. If I need to go to someone, any suggestions for SW/S Central Ohio? I can always make do with the old C till I get there.
    Question:[B]I was going to just change one each of the D & A strings for the time being to see what it felt like--am I nuts? The brightness of the D'Addarios does carry well....
    THANKS for any advice--I'm still a newbie to classical mandos

Quote Originally Posted by (violmando @ April 01 2005, 13:37)
    Problem: Cstring winding is too thick for C peg hole. How do you go about reaming it out? Keep in mind that this is a vintage Larson Bros. If I need to go to someone, any suggestions for SW/S Central Ohio? I can always make do with the old C till I get there.
    I think you have to be careful for overstringing if the strings are that heavy. Also the intonation might be gone ... I don't know how far the bridge is from the crank on your cello, but it may want to go back quite a bit with Tomastics.

It should be possible to take te winding off the top of the string; Embergher strings used to be already made that way (even for mandolin), it shouldn't affect the sound.

I went ahead and put the roundwound C back on--I'm only using one C anyway, but I LOVE the Thomastiks! Maybe because I use Thomastiks on my double bass--I feel right at home! I DO feel that my Gs are still alittle muted; that might be my borrowed instrument or the setup; I may try another brand on them sometime just to see. I have decided that when I go for my mandocello I will be checking out the Gstrings alot; we seem to play alot on them and like I said, it seems difficult to get the tone out.
    THANKS for all the advice! I was one of the players at the Dayton Mando. Orch gig at Books & Co.--it was a BLAST to play for that many people!!!!