Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interested in learning the Mandolin

Default Re: Interested in learning the Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by bart mcneil View Post
    I think what is important in this thread is that you have done an unusual amount of thinking about your first purchase and very likely have selected a nice instrument. You would be amazed how most of us have stumbled through our first purchase relying on hope and luck to get something playable. You did well. I am sure you will enjoy it.
    Thanks for the compliment. I think it helps me as well because I think that by asking a lot of questions and reading about the possibly instruments of choice, you end up etching out which ones you want, and which ones you don't want. Also, google searching are amazing as well as youtube. >>

And another thing is when I am down in Spring Green, we are going to take a pitstop down to Madison and look at some of the music shops down there. Cause they might have something unique that Green Bay don't offer.

I would really go for the Pava. I have had the pleasure of trying the full range of models and they are all wonderful. A Pava could be your life-time mandolin. I doubt you will never need anything better. In my opinion, a fine mandolin will also make learning easier. A Collins, Weber, Gibson or other US made instrument would also work just fine. Good luck on your decision.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Collings MT, Kentucky km900, Gibson A9
    Living’ in the Mitten

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BridalWreath View Post
    So I thought I should update you all: Guess who will be hopefully getting her mandolin on Friday! :D Like you guys have suggestions, I went for it and ended up purchasing the Gibson A-9, which comes with the case, arm rest and strap. I am so excited!
    A fine choice imo. Congratulations. Whats gonna be your first tune?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Probably Old McDonalds. LOL! But I do want to learn some classic rock songs. Also going to see if I can translate my violin music onto the mandolin and see how it sounds. I have a lot of different pieces including Stairway to Heaven. I also want to learn some blues as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    The A-9 is a great choice as would the Pava have been. Many of us here would love to have such a fine instrument...you are lucky to start off with something so nice. Now you'll have to learn to use a pick!
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
    The A-9 is a great choice as would the Pava have been. Many of us here would love to have such a fine instrument...you are lucky to start off with something so nice. Now you'll have to learn to use a pick!
    Yes, the picking will be interesting, considering I am used to bowing. Correct me if I am wrong but with picking it is more wrist movements? I know bowing is more wrist/elbow movements.

I would focus on proper grip first and work with your wrist a little. Just start out on what feels comfortable, but also pay attention to the techniques many experienced players use. Great choice, enjoy!

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by sgrexa View Post
    I would focus on proper grip first and work with your wrist a little. Just start out on what feels comfortable, but also pay attention to the techniques many experienced players use. Great choice, enjoy!

Sean
    Thank you Sean, for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by BridalWreath View Post
    Yes, the picking will be interesting, considering I am used to bowing. Correct me if I am wrong but with picking it is more wrist movements? I know bowing is more wrist/elbow movements.
    I think you will find the elbow comes into it just as much, though perhaps more emphasis on the wrist. Holding your pick firmly but not too tightly is important. Heck, as with violin, there is a complete set of skills for mandolin, many of which you already have with the violin. For example, you will automatically fret the strings better than a guitar player will as it is done much more in the manner of a violin than guitar.
    One important thing is to keep a steady up/down rhythm. You might start by striking a string only on the down stroke then later strike an occasional note on the up. Only down strokes may give you quarter notes, add the up and you've got eighth notes while picking at the same speed.
    Don't think on it too hard at first. Just get a feel for a smooth up/down rhythm.
    There are quite a few online lessons out there, especially good is "Mike Marshall's Mandolin School" http://artistworks.com/mandolin-lessons-mike-marshall

John
    Austin TX
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
    I think you will find the elbow comes into it just as much, though perhaps more emphasis on the wrist. Holding your pick firmly but not too tightly is important. Heck, as with violin, there is a complete set of skills for mandolin, many of which you already have with the violin. For example, you will automatically fret the strings better than a guitar player will as it is done much more in the manner of a violin than guitar.
    One important thing is to keep a steady up/down rhythm. You might start by striking a string only on the down stroke then later strike an occasional note on the up. Only down strokes may give you quarter notes, add the up and you've got eighth notes while picking at the same speed.
    Don't think on it too hard at first. Just get a feel for a smooth up/down rhythm.
    There are quite a few online lessons out there, especially good is "Mike Marshall's Mandolin School" http://artistworks.com/mandolin-lessons-mike-marshall

John
    Austin TX
    Thanks John! The help is much appreciated!

I'd consider this, seriously...

Girouard A Style Turtle Shell Binding Beautiful Great Chop

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/78976

Or, if you would rather buy new with a really nice setup included, definitely buy from Dennis Vance of The Mandolin Store.

My Gibson came in! Pictures to come soon.