Thread: 1969 Gibson F-12

Default 1969 Gibson F-12

I visited a local music store today and was looking at the mandolins they had in stock. One of the employees mentioned a Gibson they took in yesterday. He brought it out and told me it was a '69 F-12. I don't know Gibson mandos the way a lot of you do I'm sure, but this one just didn't look right. The fretboard had an extension like an F-5 would and I thought the 12's had the cut off board. Also, this mando had a very yellow tint to it (binding as well). Looked almost like an Aria I had a few years ago. The Gibson label inside had F-12 written in blue ink and the serial number was hand written as well. The sound wasn't too bad, but I've heard of repro's that could pass as a Gibson and thought this might be one, but these guys should know...at least I would think so.

The shop is going to post a listing on ebay and I'll post a link as soon as I see one. Will be interesting to hear what the experts think. The guy told me these things could go for $8-$10K, but they are selling this one for $3995. Okay!
    Cheers,
    Dale

Future Mandolinist

Default Re: 1969 Gibson F-12

$3995 is optimistic by a factor of about 2x. The rest of it sounds legit; yellow binding, fretboard extension, etc. I recall that mine was a '71, did the one in the shop look like this?

Yes, the one I saw today did look similar. The extension wasn't scooped and the headstock had only 'Gibson', but it does have that same yellowish appearance.
    Cheers,
    Dale

Hi Dale, the binding on most vintage instruments turns from white or off-white to ivory then to yellow over time--this is normal. It can be accelerated by nicotine if the instrument was played in a night club nightly for years or if it came from the home of a heavy smoker who left it on a stand in a room where smoke could get at it. Usually this is considered normal for a vintage instrument, but once in a while the nicotine smell is so strong that the instrument stinks or feels sticky to the touch. It can be cleaned off to a degree, but it takes time and isn't easy.

On a related note, two weeks ago I saw a 1952 Gibson F-12 at a pawn shop for $2300, thinking it might be a deal. I mentioned it on this forum and only got a couple of responses, mostly thinking $2300 was too high or at least an F-12 doesn't seem to generate much enthusiasm, at least at MC.

A 1952 F-12 is a much better animal than a 1969 F-12. I believe that at $2300 the 1952 is under priced. A 1969 F-12 would be over priced.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Dale, I see that you are in Florida, well last year I saw an F-12 at a Guitar Center store in Lakeland and was wondering if you also saw this one at a Guitar Center store as they might move them around from store to store, anyway I posted on here as to what I saw and got a few responses and I went back and tuned it up and it is a piece of junk compared to other mandolins that Gibson has made in the past, the fellow at the store said he would come down in price from $4000 to $3000 if I bought it and I told him I wouldn`t give him $300 for it, at first I was told that it was a new production line and after posting the serial number on here I found that it was in fact a 1960`s mandolin and those were lean years for mandolins by Gibson, everyone won`t agree to that but for the most part they weren`t up their normal standards...IF you saw this one at a G.C. then I would bet it is the same mandolin and I would pass if it were me, as I did at the Lakeland store...

Hi Willie, no it wasn't at a GC, but still a popular shop here in town. My thinking was like yours that the late 60's and 70's models weren't up to Gibson standards, but when I saw this mando I didn't think it even looked like a 'real' Gibson. I have two '26 Gibson A's and realize the binding can turn, but this looks like a pure yellow and kind of cheap looking (don't remember a smokey smell to it). That's why I thought it might be a fake. The shop hasn't listed it on their website or ebay that I know of.
    Cheers,
    Dale

A friend of mine has an early 70's Mastertone with the same yellow binding. Not sure on the binding/finish they were using at the time but it doesn't age well!

Curiously, this one is called an A 12 because the scroll was not cut out, though a F in all the other ways ..

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/78589
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Curiously, this one is called an A 12 because the scroll was not cut out, though a F in all the other ways ..

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/78589
    OH MY! The dreaded lump scroll appears again.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
    A 1952 F-12 is a much better animal than a 1969 F-12. I believe that at $2300 the 1952 is under priced. A 1969 F-12 would be over priced.
    Here is a question: For $2300 would the 52 F-12 be better sounding than spending $2300 or so on an Asian F-style? I'm guessing by reading between the lines that the Asian F-style would blow it away, but I would rather have a vintage USA Gibson for the same money. And again, $2300 to me is a lot of money, buying a $5-10K Master Model is not an option for me. Thanks.

I just had it out with an ebay guitar dealer passing off an F12 as a 1968 when it was clearly a 1971. They should have better sense then to tell such misinformation. First, you should never believe what that original owner tells you. Problem with dating these by the average Joe looking at Gibson's serial number chart mess is they fail to see Gibson used the same numbers from mid60's to late 60's with those of the early 70's to mid 70's. You need to know or at least look at the catalog specs with photos if possible and there you will clearly see without hesitation the difference between a 60's F12 and 70's F12 (or F5 too).

The mando in question has been posted on my local music shop's website. They have now updated it to a 1971!

The price has been reduced 1k and it does have 'The Gibson' on the headstock. I didn't remember that from before.

http://www.bluesangelmusic.com/magen...hell-case.html
    Cheers,
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Pauline View Post
    The mando in question has been posted on my local music shop's website. They have now updated it to a 1971! The price has been reduced 1k and it does have 'The Gibson' on the headstock. I didn't remember that from before.
    Recently added, perhaps.