Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gilchrist A3

Default Gilchrist A3

I was drooling over this when Massimo had it for sale and now here it is again. I have a feeling this is simply one of the best mandolins money can buy. Not cheap, but man, if anyone scoops this up and happens to live anywhere near Philadelphia, please let me know. I have a strange urge to play this mandolin.

Sean

PS- Lots of other cool stuff in the classifieds too, Nuggets, Tim O, Duffs, man o man.

Default Re: Gilchrist A3

Its definitely a cool mandolin, and I don't recall seeing many Gilchrist A3 before.

And I just have to mention how neat it is that the photo is taken with the mando propped up on the toilet seat against the white seat cover.

3. The following members say thank you to Clement Barrera-Ng for this post:

sgrexa 

[QUOTE=
    And I just have to mention how neat it is that the photo is taken with the mando propped up on the toilet seat against the white seat cover.[/QUOTE]

I would never buy a toilet posed mandolin.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

5. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

sgrexa 

Now that's funny right there.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Clement Barrera-Ng View Post
    Its definitely a cool mandolin, and I don't recall seeing many Gilchrist A3 before.

And I just have to mention how neat it is that the photo is taken with the mando propped up on the toilet seat against the white seat cover.
    Wow I didn't even notice that!

I just have trouble with the idea of spending so much on a plain black a model. As silly as that may seem I just feel like I should at least get a scroll for that price. I'm sure it sounds spectacular though
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    I would never buy a toilet posed mandolin.
    I feel the same way. Here's your dream mandolin. I am charging thousands of dollars for it. And it has been on my toilet. No matter how clean your toilet is, I find it insulting.

Maybe it's a secret message that the mando doesn't play worth a .....

I'm sure he was looking for a white background for the black mando. I hope it doesn't turn out like George Costanza's toilet book (Seinfeld reference). And, for the record, I was joking. I'm more concerned that it has a strap button. (joking again)
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

...Maybe he's just wrapping Christmas presents in there... and I don't know Sean, this one isn't compression grain Red Spruce so perhaps it not your thing.

12. The following members say thank you to OldGus for this post:

sgrexa 

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    I'm more concerned that it has a strap button. (joking again)
    I'm sure the price is reduced substantially since it has he strap button. The only issue is how much more would it be if it had not been installed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I feel the same way. Here's your dream mandolin. I am charging thousands of dollars for it. And it has been on my toilet. No matter how clean your toilet is, I find it insulting.
    Are you joking?

I've heard Joe Wash' Gil...the one serial # away from this one. I'm betting this is a killer sounding mandolin. If I were in the market for a top tier mandolin...I'd be seriously looking. As for the price...as they say in the vintage market "You didn't pay too much. You may have paid too soon" ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Are you joking?
    Hey Mike, I assume you clicked on the pic, right? I mean it's a Gil, not a $50 Rogue--then it would be funny! Bathroom looks nice and clean, but I don't play music or eat on the toilet, it is for another purpose. Why not photograph it on a stand, on a chair, on a table, on a clean towel, etc. I guess I don't get it? Maybe I'm a germaphobe, but I don't think so. Does make me wonder how it was cared for, but more importantly, do I want to buy something from someone who is thumbing their nose at a potential buyer?

On the other hand, if I saw a Gil at a junk shop by the side of the road, covered in dust with old rusty strings and sticking out of a trash can with Coca-cola spilled all over it--I would still stop and get excited and ask the farmer how much he wanted for it? If it was cheap, I'd take the filthy thing home and have a blast cleaning and restringing it. Unlikely to happen, but I guess it is a question of presentation. That's all I'm saying.

Um, for the most part, where the pic was taken is profoundly unimportant. Is he thumbing his nose at buyers? I think not. Was the lighting good right there? Prolly. Is Jeff Mando a germaphobe? Maybe. Do you want this mando? Definitely.

Next discussion?
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

18. The following members say thank you to dcoventry for this post:

Just for historical purposes...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	78534.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	122600
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

That mando is the SH*T!!
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

22. The following members say thank you to dcoventry for this post:

Best to base final judgement on how it sounds as Greg Boyd had one of these a couple of years ago and it left a lot to be desired for the price. In the immortal words of Robert Plant, "not all that glitters is gold," or, I might add, worth a lot of gold.

I had a nice one, a Model 3A what Steve used to call the Artist model. Also a black top, with bound sound holes and Steve's tweed block inlay like he uses on his jazz guitars. OOh-LA-LA! It is a beautiful & great sounding mandolin. Wish I still had that Gil! Steve no longer offers the 3A model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gil 3A front web.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	122601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gil 3A back web.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	122602   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gil 3A neck inlay web.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	122603  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gil 3a peghead web.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	122604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gil 3A body web.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	122605  
    Last edited by SternART; Aug-12-2014 at 11:47pm.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SternART For This Useful Post:

I'm the seller...photo idea was a combo of lighting/background/humor...
    (May have failed on all 3 accounts) Mando never actually touched the toilet (for scratch reasons more than hygiene...)
    Joe Walsh told me he played it once in Italy and that it's great (maybe being polite I dunno) Gatti felt he had one of the best mandolins in the world and regretted having to sell. Why am I selling? To get a new one?....relentless MAS..
    It's a mental disorder.

27. The following members say thank you to holden for this post:

sgrexa 

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

I was just gonna email you (holden) and ask why in the heck it was photographed on the toilet. Then I thought, hmmm, I wonder if it's being discussed.

Whadya know.

Seriously, if I won the lottery, the first thing I would buy is THAT Gilchrist. Not kidding.

I saw Joe Walsh a few months back at a small venue in Minneapolis, and his Gil was one of the best I've ever heard.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by holden View Post
    (May have failed on all 3 accounts) Mando never actually touched the toilet (for scratch reasons more than hygiene...)
    Joe Walsh told me he played it once in Italy and that it's great (maybe being polite I dunno) Gatti felt he had one of the best mandolins in the world and regretted having to sell. Why am I selling? To get a new one?....relentless MAS..
    It's a mental disorder.
    As far as I remember, Massimo Gatti was the first owner. It was later sold back to Massimo through the Acoustic Guitar Gallery in Solingen (Germany). The owner participates here. I heard from him, that it was one of the best mandos he had and that he sorely regretted having to sell it. I definately know from jamming with Massimo that it sounds great.

If you´re a blockhead - like me - you might opose strap buttons, black tops, x-bracing ...

But if you like old blacktop F-2-aestetics, x-bracing-soundwise, model-As - like me - then this might just be THE mandolin for you.

Holden, I am quite interestet in what you have your eyes upon. Good luck with your sale, I´m sure its a great mando.
    Olaf

I've always heard you can catch MAS from a toilet seat.

I think I just did.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Hey Mike, I assume you clicked on the pic, right? I mean it's a Gil, not a $50 Rogue--then it would be funny! Bathroom looks nice and clean, but I don't play music or eat on the toilet, it is for another purpose. Why not photograph it on a stand, on a chair, on a table, on a clean towel, etc. I guess I don't get it? Maybe I'm a germaphobe, but I don't think so. Does make me wonder how it was cared for, but more importantly, do I want to buy something from someone who is thumbing their nose at a potential buyer?

On the other hand, if I saw a Gil at a junk shop by the side of the road, covered in dust with old rusty strings and sticking out of a trash can with Coca-cola spilled all over it--I would still stop and get excited and ask the farmer how much he wanted for it? If it was cheap, I'd take the filthy thing home and have a blast cleaning and restringing it. Unlikely to happen, but I guess it is a question of presentation. That's all I'm saying.
    Of course I saw the photo. To makes a joke of its display is one thing, to take it seriously is absurd.

33. The following members say thank you to Mike Bunting for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by holden View Post
    It's a mental disorder.
    He speaks!!! Thanks for the clarification on the photo--I figured it was an attempt at irony and humor--Letterman style stuff that probably went over my head. In re-reading the postings it seems like most people thought it was funny, too.

Really seems like it is a fine mandolin. Good luck with the sale, I'm sure finding a buyer won't be difficult on MC.

If I was in the market for another Gil, this would definitely be on the list. Steve's x-braced Englemann tops really produce big, fat tone. Good luck with the sale. Somebody will get a good'n!