Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mandolins and Beer!

Default Re: Mandolins and Beer!

Smutty nose makes some great beers. Look for the variety pack. Love the IPA and ales. Any tabs available?
    Thanks. Great work.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein
    "We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same."
    ~Carlos Castaneda

2. The following members say thank you to Kennyz55 for this post:

Hey Kenny, I have hand written tabs which look pretty bad. I could scan them though. Thanks for the nice words!

That'd be great. Working through 1st 1 & trying to figure out Sam's version of Sailin' Shoes. Thanks and love the videos. Not to high jack this thread but does anyone have the chords to Sailin' Shoes?
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein
    "We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same."
    ~Carlos Castaneda

Sailin' Shoes, off of the muy excellent Late As Usual, is in G chord. The key thing there is the dom7 tonality he gets on the opening vamp. He's fingering 3-5-7 on the D-A-E strings and sliding up and down. Not easy...and so very great.

Great series! I confess that I'm mostly a wine drinker at home, but beer is what I drink at sessions and with my beer-appreciating friends when they visit the house for a jam. I like the dark ones, the darker and thicker the better, and not too sweet.

The house beer I stock for those occasions is usually "Black Butte Porter" from Deschutes Brewery. Always available at the local Safeway and not expensive. My absolute favorite dark beer is "Old Rasputin" Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing. But it's not easy to find, and a bit pricey. A terrific, complex beer... a meal in a glass, not pale dishwater. Sometimes they have it at the pub where we have our Scottish/Irish sessions and I always order it then. When they don't have it I drink the old standby Guinness at the session. They do at least have it on tap, and they do the little shamrock thing on top, which is cute.

At home I do the philistine thing and serve the dark beers cold, but at the session I drink two pints over a three hour period, pacing myself (dark/thick beers are good for that), so they inevitably warm up to the proper temperature.

7. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Hey Daniel, just found this thread and it's awesome! Great way to learn some new licks and find out about some good beer. Speaking of beer, I'm in STL and we're undergoing a renaissance in craft brewing at the moment so we have no shortage of good, local beer and breweries to choose from. Unfortunately, I don't believe any of them are distributed to SC at the moment. However, I recently had a good porter from a brewery in Asheville, NC which may be available to you. The brewery was French Broad and the beer was their Anvil Porter. It was tasty. Keep up the good work!

9. The following members say thank you to mang1974 for this post:

Daniel, thanks for sharing! My only suggestion would be to perhaps flip the camera into a horizontal orientation

Thanks again,
    Mike

11. The following members say thank you to dezguy for this post:

Thanks mike. I did that for video 2. Still new to this but having fun!

Fat Tire was (and likely still is) very popular where I used to live in CO--about a half mile from the New Belgium brewery in FtCl...seemed to be the beverage de rigueur, and naturally I had to drink boatloads of it. But I was mostly into rioja and flamenco at the time. The Tour De Fat is loads of fun.

NB brews up a batch of some nice ales--I enjoyed the Abbey, Trippel, and 1554 Black

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.png 
Views:	155 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	122908

This thread is making me very thirsty..
    Last edited by catmandu2; Aug-19-2014 at 5:21pm.

14. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JCook View Post
    danielpatrick, very nice playing, and I like the idea of mandolin music and beer reviews. I think you're the only one doing it. I'll look for Fat Tire beer here in Massachusetts. A couple of beers I like are Old Thumper, and John Courage (which is English, and I haven't been able to find it around here much lately, but it's good).

Keep the licks and the sips comin'!

Jack
    I've had too many Belgian and Belgian style beers to count and I would rank Fat Tire close to, if not at, the bottom. Pretty poor ratings on ratebeer.com too.

For Belgian styles not directly from Belgium/Flanders/Holland, I recommend anything by Unibroue(La Fin Du Monde is really good), anything from Ommegang, and Alexander Valley Brewing has both an amazing double and triple. I put all these right up there with the real deal Trappist beers. Surely you can get Ommegang and Unibroue in MA - they're from NY and Quebec respectively and at my local Costco in the SF Bay Area.

After I posted my message I came across #2. I love that lick in number 2. I've been jamming on it all night

No pecan beer for me though

Cheers,
    Mike

17. The following members say thank you to dezguy for this post:

Sounds great thanks for the licks and the suds, really like the fat tire ale!!

19. The following members say thank you to jimj for this post:

Walking the long road... Fr. White's Avatar

Dan, I am just up the road from you in Columbia and I love the Lazy Magnolia beers. You need to try their Sweet Potato Stout (if you haven't), great taste.

Also great playing. I am going to go practice that lick now...thanks for doing this.
    +

Eastman MD504

21. The following members say thank you to Fr. White for this post:

Thank you!

I'm a big fan of lager beers from Europe. I think you would enjoy Carlsberg Elephant if you can find it in your area. Beware, it is a high-gravity brew, 7.2 percent.

24. The following members say thank you to dcb504 for this post:

Mandolins and beer are a great combination

It's a shame I haven't seen bazens flatbac around for a while, brewed by a friend of mine who plays mandolin and is also a brewer!

Some great suggestions! Heading to the store in a bit to pick some up!

Hey good buddy, the suspense is killing me. Can't wait to see the beer you've chosen, and the lick! Tonight I will be enjoying a Prima Pils from Victory brewing, while perfecting the lick from week one.

Will be posting new video tomorrow evening. I picked up a few last minute gigs this week. I'm looking forward to this one. Fun jazzy/bluesy lick over a slow progression. Also the first beer recommended by a café member!

Smile Re: Mandolins and Beer!

Funny how my beer choice seems to affect the tunes I play, I'll enjoy a Full Sail IPA and find myself playing "Tipsy Sailor" or I'll have a Black Butte Porter and out comes "Kid on the Mountain" Oh I've got a Ninkasi in the fridge getting cold, I can feel "Wind that shakes the Barley" coming on. So many Beers, so many Tunes!

I put my notice in this week at my current brewery. Now begins the process of opening my own. Tanks are ordered and the lease is signed. We should be tapping beer in January. I will send some your way when the goods are flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Great series! I confess that I'm mostly a wine drinker at home, but beer is what I drink at sessions and with my beer-appreciating friends when they visit the house for a jam. I like the dark ones, the darker and thicker the better, and not too sweet.

The house beer I stock for those occasions is usually "Black Butte Porter" from Deschutes Brewery. Always available at the local Safeway and not expensive. My absolute favorite dark beer is "Old Rasputin" Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing. But it's not easy to find, and a bit pricey. A terrific, complex beer... a meal in a glass, not pale dishwater. Sometimes they have it at the pub where we have our Scottish/Irish sessions and I always order it then. When they don't have it I drink the old standby Guinness at the session. They do at least have it on tap, and they do the little shamrock thing on top, which is cute.

At home I do the philistine thing and serve the dark beers cold, but at the session I drink two pints over a three hour period, pacing myself (dark/thick beers are good for that), so they inevitably warm up to the proper temperature.
    A fellow porter fan! If you have a chance, see if you can find some Baltic porters. Żywiec has one, as does Baltika. If you like Old Rasputin, I think you'll enjoy those. Also, there is a brewery in San Diego called Ballast Point. They make an inperial stout called Sea Monster that packs a wollop, though it is a little pricey. Still, for $10, one can buy a top-tier beer, whereas the equivalent in the wine world will run you upwards of $60 or more. I, for one, welcome the craft beer renaissance.

edited to reply with quote.
    Last edited by danielpatrick; Aug-27-2014 at 9:54pm.

Congrats on the great news! I wish you all the best!
    Quote Originally Posted by d18daddy View Post
    I put my notice in this week at my current brewery. Now begins the process of opening my own. Tanks are ordered and the lease is signed. We should be tapping beer in January. I will send some your way when the goods are flowing.

34. The following members say thank you to danielpatrick for this post:

Episode #3 is now available!!! Sorry for the delay! Keep the suggestions coming!!!

Denny Gies and d18daddy get some shoutouts! (Denny sorry if I mispronounced your name!)

I hope you all enjoy!!!! Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDNu_vbYAYU
    Last edited by danielpatrick; Aug-27-2014 at 10:40pm. Reason: Bad link posted for video.....I blame the Optimator.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danielpatrick For This Useful Post: