Thread: maple bridge for mandolin

Default maple bridge for mandolin

Some photographs of the maple bridge which I designed and manufactured for the last carbon mandoline that I have just finished (for my own use, I am not professional!)
    I carried out 6 models in various materials composite or wood. This model gives the best result.
    The sound is very balanced, the acute ones are brilliant and the low deep ones, which I had not managed to obtain with the other bridges manufactured.
    The sillet of bridge is carried out starting from Ag, Cu and Sn alloy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chevalet carbcam 04.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	122502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chevalet carbcam 03.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	122503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chevalet carbcam 02.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	122504Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chevalet carbcam 01.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	122505

2. The following members say thank you to carbonpiou for this post:

Default Re: maple bridge for mandolin

It's a beauty. I made a bridge, for the first time ever, a few days ago. Makes a big difference.

Really an exquisite look. Form following function, it's a beauty.

I don't know enough about how wood would transmit the sound, so I must ask. How is the sound compared to a similar rosewood or ebony bridge. I would think that, maple being harder, it would transmit the tone as well if not better? I would love to see one of those on my flat-top mandolin, just for looks alone.

Maple is not harder than ebony, to the contrary ebony is much harder than maple.
    Bill Snyder

7. The following members say thank you to Bill Snyder for this post:

1. There's some great information regarding bridge construction by Red Henry.

http://www.murphymethod.com/index.cf...t&contentId=87

2. There is an additional MC thread documenting this topic.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ighlight=henry

These do seem to follow the Red Henry design with the addition of the metal saddles. So, carbonpiou, which saddle worked the best? Silver, copper or tin?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim, the mixture Ag/Cu/Sn are extremely hard, much more in any case that brass. The result is found in the harmonics and the depth of the low registers.
    I went on the site of Red Henry. We made the same approach, without us to know…

Ah, I see -- you do say it is an alloy. Very interesting.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Very nice bridge.

How is the sound compared to a similar rosewood or ebony bridge
    Typically, maple increases volume and sounds brighter (at the expense of some depth). I can see some mandolins benefitting from a maple bridge. Especially mandolins that are not your standard F hole.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by carbonpiou View Post
    Some photographs of the maple bridge which I designed and manufactured for the last carbon mandoline that I have just finished (for my own use, I am not professional!)
    I carried out 6 models in various materials composite or wood. This model gives the best result.
    The sound is very balanced, the acute ones are brilliant and the low deep ones, which I had not managed to obtain with the other bridges manufactured.
    The sillet of bridge is carried out starting from Ag, Cu and Sn alloy.
    It looks nice but there is no consideration for compensation on this bridge? How is the pitch at the 12th fret compared to opne strings?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

14. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

Indeed, there is no compensation on the bridge. In my many tests, I carried out a pon with a compensation extrêmemnt specifies, not made with calculation, but with a measurement of frequency. Frankly, the variation of accuracy between the bridge not compensated and compensated was very tiny (less than 0.3mm)
    This can be explained by my choice of strings (10-13-24-34) usually used on the classical mandolines which also do not have a compensated bridge. and especially by the fact why the fretboard is rigorously right with an action regulated very low (1.2mm at 12th fret on E strings and 1.5mm on the G stringsn without buz.
    For your information, the tuning fork of my mandoline is of 352mm (personal choice related to my morphology) My bridge is regulated with 355mm on E strings and 356 mm on G side. This adjustment makes it possible to have the best accuracy on the level of hoops 1 to 7 (the most played) and to preserve the accuracy after the 12th fret.

16. The following members say thank you to carbonpiou for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by carbonpiou View Post
    Indeed, there is no compensation on the bridge. In my many tests, I carried out a pon with a compensation extrêmemnt specifies, not made with calculation, but with a measurement of frequency. Frankly, the variation of accuracy between the bridge not compensated and compensated was very tiny (less than 0.3mm)
    This can be explained by my choice of strings (10-13-24-34) usually used on the classical mandolines which also do not have a compensated bridge. and especially by the fact why the fretboard is rigorously right with an action regulated very low (1.2mm at 12th fret on E strings and 1.5mm on the G stringsn without buz.
    For your information, the tuning fork of my mandoline is of 352mm (personal choice related to my morphology) My bridge is regulated with 355mm on E strings and 356 mm on G side. This adjustment makes it possible to have the best accuracy on the level of hoops 1 to 7 (the most played) and to preserve the accuracy after the 12th fret.
    Very good! Well it is a beautiful bit of work and looks to be very low mass. The use of light gauge strings probably helps a lot the the compensation like you say. Are you going to stain the bridge black to match the mandolin?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.