Thread: O'Flaherty Irish Music Retreat

Default O'Flaherty Irish Music Retreat

Just wanted to let you all know that I will be teaching mandolin at the O'Flaherty Irish Music Retreat this October 24-26:

http://www.oflahertyretreat.org/

2. The following members say thank you to zoukboy for this post:

Default Re: O'Flaherty Irish Music Retreat

I just registered myself and three of my boys... - 2 tinwhistles, a Concertina, and a tenor Banjo... and whatever zouk or mandolin I can bum...

I'm looking at this. I've got to get through this next week's conference first before I can think about October. Looking real tempting though.

Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

I'll be there taking the tenor banjo course from Seamus Egan but I will bring my mandolin too. Looking forrwad to seeing you there.
    Roger has promised a tenor guitar summit with Herb Taylor instruments while we are there. Herb will be there too if you are interested in buying the finest tenor guitar out there

Mike Keyes

I registered for Seamus Egan's classes too. I played Herb's instruments at a Zoukfest a while back...

Hmmm. Kind of far from NJ. I'd love to go, the classes look great and then a Herb Taylor instrument summit too. I'd really like to try that lattice tenor he has.

I went back in 2007 after I'd owned a mandolin for only a few months. I was interested in Irish music so I signed up. I didn't turn out to be an Irish Trad player, but I had a great time. I've never been around that many quality people in one place before. Everyone was just so kind and respectful that I felt I was in a greater class of people than you meet in the normal circles of life.

The highlight for me was sitting through a lecture/demonstration by the great Irish fiddler Matt Cranitch. A bunch of us sat around a large room while he stood in the center talking about music. I'll never forget his opening line as he held the fiddle over his head: "This is an inanimate object." His point was that it's not about the instrument: it's about what one does with it. I've never forgotten that. Nor have I forgotten the absolutely magical sounds he pulled out of that thing. A true master at his craft.

O'Flaherty's is the real deal. If I thought I could ever learn that kind of music, I'd definitely go back.

That's quite an impressive staff! Should be outstanding for folks lucky enough to go.
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

Can't go this year, but was there for the last three years. It is a great three days -- top-notch instructors, great evening concerts, and very well organized overall. If you like traditional Irish music, highly recommended.
    Too many instruments...too little time

Looking forward to this, one month to go...
    Last edited by Eddie Sheehy; Sep-19-2014 at 12:02pm.

I am really looking forward to it. I will be in the piping class but will sneak into Roger's area at some point for a peak. O'Flaherty is just the best Irish music retreat I have ever been to, and I have been to several others.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

I am really looking forward to it, too. It doesn't look like a tenor gathering klatsch will be possible with the tight schedule. Maybe one evening in lieu of sessioning? We'll see.