Thread: C. Bruno and Son

Default C. Bruno and Son

I always wanted a mandolin and I recently picked a C. Bruno and Son bowl back at a local Guitar Show.
    But I need help dating it, the gentleman I purchased it form dates it at 1913.

I did find what I assume is the serial #242750 any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Default Re: C. Bruno and Son

Post some photos. Bruno was a distributor and they had other makers make mandolins with their brand on them. I don't know if anyone has compiled a database of Bruno serial numbers. the company also goes back pretty far -- I have an original catalog from 1888 and I believe they were in business before that.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    …I believe they were in business before that.
    Charles Bruno Sr. partnered with C. F. Martin in 1838, had other partners until he went "solo" in 1863, brought his son into the biz before he died in 1884. So Bruno's been around a long time. Always sold instruments built by others.

Pics will be necessary. Given the wide variety of instruments, from many makers, sold under the "Bruno" label, doubt that a serial number matrix for all of them would be achievable.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I hope these help Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140803_191349[1].jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	122233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140803_191421[1].jpg 
Views:	644 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	122232

You have a fairly upscale model, with a large number of rosewood "ribs" making up the bowl, separated by lighter strips (holly?).

Thinking Chicago origin, period 1900-1925 or so. Could be Lyon & Healy/Washburn -- the "scooped" headstock silhouette reminds me of another make, but I can't think which one...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

6. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Thanks everyone for your help.
    Andy

I'm with Alan, looks very "Chicago" like, it don't know if Bruno is still around but, back in the mid 70's they had a rep named Gene Rucker for the "tri state area" when they brought the "Aida" line of banjos out. Pretty decent for the price. When I worked at "Homespun Music" we went to an open house and picked up one of the pieces of cabinetry which was way outdated for the warehouse but, cool as a cucumber for a retail harmonica,small goods unit. I think I still have an ashtray from Bruno & Sons.
    Sorry that was way off track.
    Very cool find on the mandolin! I think Washburn most likely.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  7.6 KB

Just wanted to post on the Bruno Thread. I have a 12 sting, beautiful inlaid pearl and perfect shape. Was curious about your feedback here about it. I usually only string it as an 8.

What would you say about this model

10. The following members say thank you to Kohnhead99 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kohnhead99 View Post
    Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  7.6 KB

Just wanted to post on the Bruno Thread. I have a 12 sting, beautiful inlaid pearl and perfect shape. Was curious about your feedback here about it. I usually only string it as an 8.

What would you say about this model
    Based on the 1917 catalog it appears to be a model 145.
    www.OldFrets.com: the obscure side of vintage instruments.

Can you post a larger image? I am not a big fan of 12 string mandolins and it is probably smart to only string it as an 8-string but I have always thought that if I had to have one I might string it with octave strings one the lower-pitched courses. I assume that these 12-strings were built heavier than standard models and with wider necks. Is the fretboard all pearl or pearloid?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Is the fretboard all pearl or pearloid?
    Jim, I have had unwavering faith in your superlative mandolin expertise.....until now, that is, when you have to ask the above question. And in utter disbelief I keep wondering if you really can't tell it's natural MOP we are looking at, or you are just playing head games with us, your disciples ?

When someone posts a postage stamp size photo I do not resolutely conclude anything, grasshopper. And neither should you. OTOH I did forget to mention that these. are technically called the Bluto models after Popeye’s nemesis’ beard.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

..... these are technically called the Bluto models after Popeye’s nemesis’ beard.
    You are correct, sir!

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EdMcMahon.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	182878  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig