Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taylor Guitar owners here on the Cafe

I kinda felt left out with all the Martin talk, how about those of us who play Taylors? As for me I have 3. A 1993-615L that I bought in Nashville from Gruhn's. A Signature Series Dan Crary left-handed model that I believe is the only lefty made in that series and my "camp" guitar- a 310, sounds great playing some slide blues...
    Its interesting to me that the few BG festivals I've been to still only Gibson's and Martins are played. As if its not BG if its any other. comments?

I posted on the Martin guitar thread, too.

I have a 2000 Taylor 514ce (FOR SALE) and a Baby. The Baby is tuned in Fripp's New Standard Tuning (CGDAEG) and is my camping guitar.

I should start a new thread asking who owns Mossman guitars... I have one, I wonder who else here does...
    Less talk, more pick.

Well Sir, I have an 810 and a sweet 510ce. Both were given to me by my honey gal wife, one on a Christmas and the other on a birthday. All 3 are keepers!

Richard

I've got an 810 custom. Three piece Cocobolo back and sides, maple binding, love it.
    Bill James
    www.axinc.net

Anyone else notice the number of worship leaders playing Taylors? I think that's why I've never been invited up to play in church...I'm a Larrivee man,
    Paul

Does Everyone on this forum play guitar?? Heck, I don't even like carying one of those things around . You know you have to answer all those silly questions like " Is that a great big Mandolin/"
    Ok so I just happen to have the best looking 810 that you have ever seen. {And did I mention that it almost plays it's self] along with several other nice guitars. But the one that seems to get the most playing time is a goofy little Baby Taylor with a rare earth sound hole pickup.[Heck I paid more for the pickup than the Guitar] I can take that little short scale puppy and a small acoustic amp in one hand and look out jam , here I come.
    I'm sorry , I ramble . What was this thread about any way ?
    B.Pat
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by
    I have a 2000 Taylor 514ce (FOR SALE) and a Baby. The Baby is tuned in Fripp's New Standard Tuning (CGDAEG) and is my camping guitar.
    I should start a new thread asking who owns Mossman guitars... I have one, I wonder who else here does...
    Gee whiz, Ken - get some guitars, why don't you. Didn't you also have a little 800-series Taylor too?

I've got 3, spanning the sub-jumbo sizes;
    422 (maple) - probably my favorite among the 3.
    414 (ovangkol). My first high-end instrument.
    710 (rosewood, 1984 - qualifies as a "vintage" Taylor, I guess).

Haven't played any of them, or much guitar at all, in a few years, sorry to say, but always hope to get back to them someday. I've seen more Taylors being played at BG/OT festivals than I would have expected, here in mid. TN.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

I own and love a 612ce. Fantastic quilted maple back and sides. She of coarse is second only to my Rigel.

I had a 714 up till last week. Had to sell it to pay the tax man but it really wasn't getting the play it deserved anyway. Seems I always pick up my mando instead.
    Jay

Barb E.

There are three in this household:
    I have a lovely little 512. I think it's a 97 - got it used from Gryphon Strings.
    And husband has a 2002 314 that he loves, plus a Big Baby.

I keep a Big Baby in the motor home. Sounds great when playing lead to a Martin playing rhythm

Here is a print I created of my Taylor late 1980s got to look up my original bill to get the exact year.
    Actually this image got printed as a small black & white image in one of the "Wood & Steel" issues.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guitar.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	7435  

I also posted on the Martin thread and I also have a '96 Taylor 710, prettiest guitar I've ever owned, in fact I don't play it much cause it's just so dog-gone purty!

Randy

I bought a 414 for my wife. Really love the matte finish and the sweet sound.

I have a sweet 2000 314ce.....I love that Grand Auditorium body style......unfortunately I picked up a bad habit a couple of years after getting this guitar, and now I barely touch it.....but I have acquired 3 mandos since then that are getting some serious attention

'96 514c....pretty cool guitar...sounds great

Played a 310 that was OK today.

Rick

I have a Taylor 510ce. Very bright sound and good sustain.
    I am not an Athenian or a Greek, but a citizen of the world

I have a 2003 410-LTD with gloss imbuia back and sides.

My baby is and will always be my '93 model Taylor 410. Spent pretty much my whole month's paycheck to buy her that year (was in the Army at the time), and I've been told by some good players that she's got a rare sound for a 410, like a much more expensive guitar. After a refret and setup last year, she's as easy to play as an electric.
    My original IV mandolin kit blog- http://makingamandolin.blogspot.com/

Baby Taylor, mahogany & spruce. Not at all bad for what it is. Paid almost as much as as I did for my '73 Alvarez-Yairi (copy of a prewar herringbone). Bought it to travel with, but never travelled with it, so it is now the 'upstairs guitar'.
    Gene R. Rankin (a CheeseHead)
    Phoenix custom Deluxe

2003 514ce for me. Plays like a dream and the Mahogany/Cedar combination makes for a very warm tone. A great fingerstyle guitar which would look wonderful next to a Bourgeois "Country Boy" someday.

Be well,

Rob

Love the 514c...

I have two Taylors--a 1997 655 12-String (black custom finish), and a 2001 K14CE with a Koa top. # Wouldn't part with either of them...the 12-string is one of the easiest playing guitars you could ask for...
    Drew

I've got a ~1995 814c and added a Baggs dual-source. A very fine instrument that has developed a very balannced sound. Very intimate when needed. Very loud when needed.

Then just last year I got a 455ce, jumbo 12-string, w/ES. It still seems a little tight to me, but I trust it too will develop with age.

I had an interesting situation where someone plugged their ES-equipped instrument into the direct box I usually use with my Baggs. The Baggs must have much more bass response.

I am very much a Taylor fan.

We have a 410 that is great for the Carp Camp. Play hard all night and barely have to re-tune.
    RT