Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally I found the Ultimate Mando pick!

Default Re: Finally I found the Ultimate Mando pick!

Man this has got me thinking, I wonder how much my genuine Aerosmith pick is really worth?

Me too, I have an authentic KISS pick caught at a concert and a Trans-Siberian Orchestra pick signed by Joel Hoekstra...I'm rich...!!!
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Well ... not until you make a sale. Until then, you just have assets. Oh, valuable ones, to be sure, but in a state of more potential than actual wealth. I sure hope you are keeping them safe, secure, and well-maintained in the meantime. Wouldn't want their collector's value to depreciate.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Think about how much those Curly Ray Cline fly swatters are worth now!!!
    I can't find mine, drat it!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

I've got my Red Knuckles And The Trailblazers fly swatter, signed by all of them, including Slade (whose signature takes up one whole side of the handle). NFS. Also my black-on-black Slade T-shirt. NFS.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Well ... not until you make a sale. Until then, you just have assets. Oh, valuable ones, to be sure, but in a state of more potential than actual wealth. I sure hope you are keeping them safe, secure, and well-maintained in the meantime. Wouldn't want their collector's value to depreciate.
    I've got them secured in a specially sealed glass case buried in a secret underground vault, only me and Geraldo Rivera know the location.....
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigskygirl For This Useful Post:

Alden, Minnesota, 12 miles west of where I-90 and I-35 cross in Southern, Minnesota

I hope this seller keeps his picks well humidified. Do you suppose that the picks sound better after a Tonerite session?
    "Put your hands to the wood
    Touch the music put there by the summer sun and wind
    The rhythms of the rain, locked within the rings
    And let your fingers find The Music in the Wood."
    Joe Grant and Al Parrish (chorus from The Music in the Wood)

Call it a scam or whatever, but this is eBay at its BEST! Under the right circumstances, you can literally sell anything for any price! Most of us are savvy buyers, but there is another class of buyer that I like to call the "true collector". This type is rare, but I would encounter this type of buyer occasionally at high-end auctions, vintage guitar shows, when I worked at a vintage guitar shop, and very, very rarely on eBay. This type of buyer takes a certain pride in paying the most for something he feels is special, either in its provenance, condition, or actual rarity. I have actually insulted this type of buyer by offering them a better price--they feel something must be wrong with it if you are selling it for less than it is worth. It is an "old school" type of salemanship to tell a buyer, "congratulations, you have just paid the most for a "fill in the blank, Les Paul, etc..." than anyone has ever paid for one!" In the early days of vintage guitar selling George Gruhn would tell customers this after a big sale. Same exact mentality as the fine art auctioneer asking for a round of applause to the lucky buyer who set a world record price for a Warhol, Van Gogh, etc.....the total opposite of getting a screaming deal for cheap at a yard sale! If you are selling on eBay there are less buyers who subscribe to such a theory, but when you "hook" one it is a beautiful thing. I have a friend who buys on eBay and he is very particular about condition, who owned it, etc. One of his techniques is, "I see you are asking $5000 for your nice guitar. If you would be willing to sell it on time for $1000 a month, I would offer you $7000 for it." Try his technique sometime, you will be surprised how well it works!!! Obviously, 99.9 percent of us like a great deal, but for some the definition of a great deal doesn't always mean the lowest price. Anyway, just some rambling thoughts, I had on the subject. But honestly, especially with vintage items, I think two sellers can list the same exact item and be $200 apart in price and both will sell on eBay. Like ya say, just takes the right sucker, err, I mean, valued customer!

Those are for people who have more money than sense.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

11. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I don't know - I have signed my OM case myself, but nobody offered any money for it so far...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I have been really shocked at some ebay prices that are nearly double their market value. Thinks like "Mint in box" "never taken out of box" "old store stock" can really play on a collectors wallet. In the case of this Monroe picks I think it's more of a "go find another at any price" price. It's that rare! And I don't buy they were used by the artist or crew or band members.

Blog Entries

Did Mr. Monroe ever hand out picks with his name on them at his shows?

I believe this ebay guy has bought a stash of NOS picks along with an old imprinter.

A lot of his 'reviews' are from same accounts.

About 30 years ago in the back of the guitar magazines, there were small ads for personalized guitar picks with your name on them. Pretty cheap, I think they were about ten bucks a gross. Cheap way to advertise and give a fan a nice souvenir. When I worked at a guitar shop, we saw them all the time in guitar cases, always people you never heard of. When I saw the Rolling Stones, Keith threw picks at fans who wanted them. I don't find it hard to believe that Bill Monroe had picks made or that his mangement had picks made to give to fans back then. I'm guessing he probably played a tortoise pick himself, but I don't know. A lot of old BG guys do. I find it hard to believe it is worth $179, but then again, if somebody buys it, it is worth that to that person.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Creepy. One who spent $ 102 wrote "Fantastic my son will love this". Useless gifts from clueless people are embarrassing enough, but obvious junk from close relatives - where do you even begin to react properly?
    Ummm, you mean they AREN'T really REAL?? oh man....... (wonders if she can get her money back....)
    Last edited by rubydubyr; Dec-13-2014 at 2:27pm. Reason: typo <sigh>

I will sell this one for $2 with FREE shipping.... ; )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	127629
    2009 Ellis A
    2015 Weber Yellowstone 2-Point Octave
    1984 Flatiron A5-2
    1952 Martin A Oval
    1912 Martin Bowlback
    1915 Washburn Bowlback
    1910's Lyon and Healy Bowlback
    3-1900's European Bowlback's

18. The following members say thank you to 3rdegree for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Most of us are savvy buyers, but there is another class of buyer that I like to call the "true collector". This type is rare, but I would encounter this type of buyer occasionally at high-end auctions, vintage guitar shows, when I worked at a vintage guitar shop, and very, very rarely on eBay. This type of buyer takes a certain pride in paying the most for something he feels is special, either in its provenance, condition, or actual rarity. I have actually insulted this type of buyer by offering them a better price--they feel something must be wrong with it if you are selling it for less than it is worth.
    There's a saying, "I can't afford to buy cheap." That would be this sort of customer's motto.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdegree View Post
    I will sell this one for $2 with FREE shipping.... ; )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	127629
    Go ahead and write his name on a Blue Chip and I'll pay the $2 (shipping included).......

Lol...Lol...
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1