Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: origin of super glue

Default origin of super glue

I had a conversation with my dentist today and told him I thought super glue aka CA was developed and used during the second wold war as a quick means to mend injuries of soldiers. His take was it was invented in China in the 1960's for jewelry repair.

I'm sure one of our knowledgeable repair gurus knows the true history of CA ( can't spell it let alone pronounce it), super glue crazy glue.

Thanks
    Michael Lettieri

Default Re: origin of super glue

http://www.supergluecorp.com/history.html

Wikipedia has more detailed information.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MANDOLINMYSTER View Post
    I had a conversation with my dentist today and told him I thought super glue aka CA was developed and used during the second wold war as a quick means to mend injuries of soldiers. His take was it was invented in China in the 1960's for jewelry repair.

I'm sure one of our knowledgeable repair gurus knows the true history of CA ( can't spell it let alone pronounce it), super glue crazy glue. Thanks
    You are correct -- your dentist needs to read some history!!

The Chinese had nothing to do with the development of cyanoacrylates AFAIK. The superglue formula was accidentally developed in the early 1940's at Eastman Kodak laboratories in New York by a team of chemists working under contract to the Army-Air Force. They were charges with trying to develop hard, clear materials (plastics) for the windows and gun turrets of WWII bombers and fighter aircraft. They realized at the time that cyanoacrylates had incredible potential as an adhesive but did not have time to investigate them as such until after the war. The products became widely available to the public in the early 1960's.

o
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

It can still be used on wounds. I have friends who used some when their dog got bit pretty bad by another dog.

Blog Entries

I read somewhere it was developed as a denture repair glue. I tried it on mine and it lasted about 3 hours.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    It can still be used on wounds. I have friends who used some when their dog got bit pretty bad by another dog.
    While you can use CA on wounds, they made a less toxic version called Dermabond (2-OCA) that is approved for use on humans. There is some debate about the toxicity of CA but mostly it is about avoiding irritating your skin and nasal mucosa. Dermabond costs a lot, so CA is probably used a lot outside of medical facilities.

I would not recommend you use CA or Dermabond on a DEEP cut, especially a BITE. It can trap bacteria well below the dermal layers and contribute to anaerobic infections (depending on the bacteria present in the mouth of the animal).
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    While you can use CA on wounds, they made a less toxic version called Dermabond (2-OCA) that is approved for use on humans. There is some debate about the toxicity of CA but mostly it is about avoiding irritating your skin and nasal mucosa. Dermabond costs a lot, so CA is probably used a lot outside of medical facilities.

I would not recommend you use CA or Dermabond on a DEEP cut, especially a BITE. It can trap bacteria well below the dermal layers and contribute to anaerobic infections (depending on the bacteria present in the mouth of the animal).
    +1 on not using it for DIY wound fix up, but in a Hospital setting I can vouch for it's effectiveness: for my recent abdominal surgery they glued me back together rather than stitched, and it worked extremely well... or at least I haven't falllen apart yet...

Blog Entries

You would sound better with hot hide glue, though. Everyone knows that. This is an undisputed fact....
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    : for my recent abdominal surgery they glued me back together rather than stitched, and it worked extremely well... or at least I haven't falllen apart yet...
    For mine they used stainless steel clips - around ten inches of them - probably a bit much for glue!

The first time I came across what I now assume was superglue, was in the mid 1960's. it went under the name of "Eastmans 4000" (may not have been 4000) and a small bottle of it cost Ł25. A friend used to get time expired stuff when it was being thrown out by ICL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    For mine they used stainless steel clips - around ten inches of them - probably a bit much for glue!

The first time I came across what I now assume was superglue, was in the mid 1960's. it went under the name of "Eastmans 4000" (may not have been 4000) and a small bottle of it cost Ł25. A friend used to get time expired stuff when it was being thrown out by ICL.
    i read that a scientist was working at Kodak and was trying to develop a material that could be used to put lenses together without boundary lined..it worked but then he found that he couldn't get them apart..

I had emergency carotid artery surgery on my left side of my neck, the incision is about 10 inches long.....and not a single stitch was used, all closed by medical superglue......so there ya have it.....BK
    Last edited by barry k; Jul-17-2014 at 2:52pm. Reason: spelling

I have used tit to glue two ends of a rubber gasket together and when I tried to pull it apart the rubber broke before the glued joint did, it is some amazing stuff when used correctly...

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Remember these commercials? Good old silly stuff!

Fun reads. My problem with these products is they dry out in the tube after just a few uses. Because of this I tend to collect repair projects and do them in a batch.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I have used tit to glue two ends of a rubber gasket together
    Never tried one, must ask the wife….
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

17. The following members say thank you to Colin Lindsay for this post:

Definitely get the wife's permissions before trying that.
    Frank Sings But Walt Disney.
    My YouTube channel

I'll never forget my first introduction to it:

While playing classical guitar in a master class about 1972, I hit an upstroke chord with so much force that the tip of my ring fingernail tore clean off and went flying out into the audience area. The teacher (a great Japanese player) immediately got down on her hands and knees, saying "We must find the piece!" Turned out she had this new product, and after class she reattached the nail tip using super glue plus layers of cigarette paper and nail polish. Held for the six weeks or more the nail took to grow back out.

I still think of it as mainly a product for fingernail repair.

My first intro. to the stuff was back in the early '70's. I had a pair of new shoes (Hush Puppies) with rubber soles & one of them split across by a couple of inches due to having stepped on something sharp.I bought some SG,cleaned off the split & applied the glue.Unfortunately,in holding the join together,the nail of my right thumb became very attached to the sole of the shoe. Glue had oozed out & i was 'bonded'. A careful application of nail scissors got me free. Very 'iffy' stuff if you don't take care. It didn't repair the shoe either,it split again,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

One of the bass players in our church band (who I've seen break strings on the bass while playing) uses it when he rips calluses off.

I am nearly certain that Eastman developed the adhesive under a government contract. In early 1961 the Air Force mandated using "Eastman 910" adhesive to stabilize all components on B-52 electronics. I remember gluing my fingers to the units more than once.
    Byron Spain, Builder
    www.theleftyluthier.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Luthier View Post
    I am nearly certain that Eastman developed the adhesive under a government contract. In early 1961 the Air Force mandated using "Eastman 910" adhesive to stabilize all components on B-52 electronics. I remember gluing my fingers to the units more than once.
    Yes Eastman Kodak invention during WWII ---but it was not developed as an adhesive -- that came later. see post #3.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

a Korean War medic told me it was developed for the windscreens during WWII... but a variation was developed called "instant suture" (his words not mine) used to quick close gaping wounds on frozen Korean battlefeilds so the wounded could then be kept warm in transit to MASH units

Isn't the surgical glue which some have commented on another thing altogether from super glue? I always thought the surgical glue was meant to dissolve after it had outlived its purpose. I can't imagine it sitting there intact (like super glue would be) inside the body, long after the surgery cuts had healed... it wouldn't make sense. Super glue has held my screw-on post earring together for 35 years. It would take acetone to dissolve that bond. At least I won't be losing the earring!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    Isn't the surgical glue which some have commented on another thing altogether from super glue? I always thought the surgical glue was meant to dissolve after it had outlived its purpose. I can't imagine it sitting there intact (like super glue would be) inside the body, long after the surgery cuts had healed... it wouldn't make sense. Super glue has held my screw-on post earring together for 35 years. It would take acetone to dissolve that bond. At least I won't be losing the earring!

bratsche
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate#Medical

I had already read that, Jim, but it didn't answer my question... or if it did, it was too technical or scientific and went over my head. Maybe the different formulations they talked about would account for differences like that. Or maybe not. Oh, well.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel