Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Brothers, NYC, July 16

Default Mandolin Brothers, NYC, July 16

Heading there tomorrow. Let me know if there is any inventory you want me to check for you. No, I don't think they'll let me try the 1924 Loar or 1925 Fern.

Default Re: Mandolin Brothers, NYC, July 16

Hope you're taking the ferry from Manhattan to NJ. That's a wonderful trip. Have fun at MB.
    Do you have any advice for aspiring fiddlers?
    I wish I had some sort of new advice. It's sort of like losing weight:
    Don't eat so much. --Barbara Lamb

Recently I was speaking to a man who has been buying and selling mandolins for a long time, and he told me never to buy from the Mandolin Brothers, for they will rip you off. This may very well be untrue, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

I find post #3 to be mean-spirited and ill-informed. Why did the poster of that post even bother to post that?

And to the OP, Stan and staff will mostly let you try out anything in the store.

5. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

It doesn't hurt to ask. Of course instruments on the level of a Loar are not hanging on the wall. When I was there a couple years ago I asked Stan if I could play the Loar that was listed on their website at the time. Stan's son got it out of the safe and I got to play it for quite a while. Nice folks and very accommodating.

In reply to Post #3, I got a good deal on a banjo at Mandolin Brothers.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Ferry View Post
    Recently I was speaking to a man who has been buying and selling mandolins for a long time, and he told me never to buy from the Mandolin Brothers, for they will rip you off.
    Isn't it the customer's responsibility to know what he is buying and how much he is willing to pay for it? And if Mandolin Bros. prices seem slightly higher than some other places, you should try living in NYC....

To dispel the nonsense spouted by a previous poster, I have been a customer of Mandolin Brothers for going on 20 years now, and I have had nothing but good experiences. Do they have the lowest prices of anyone in the industry? No, they do not-- but their prices are clearly posted and you are free to walk away if you don't like them. And unlike many stores, I have found Stan to be open to a little spirited negotiation. So if you don't like the price, see if you can find one you do like.

Mandolin Brothers is an acoustic music gem, one of the best collections of instruments in the world. Stan Jay is one of the most knowledgeable resources on the history of American instruments that I have ever spoken with. If someone has had a bad experience there, they certainly have every right to share it. But for someone to come on here and bad-mouth them based on nothing but the grousing of a third party-- it's beyond absurd.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RichM For This Useful Post:

Mandolin Brothers prices are, generally, at the high end of the market range. That is not a "rip-off." My experience is that Stan and his staff are honest about the instruments they sell, don't misrepresent, and will negotiate on trade-ins etc.

From what I understand, they do or have done a good deal of international business, and are experienced in the "world market" for vintage instruments. I would also caution Marc F that repeating what someone has told you, about a dealer with whom you've had no direct experience, is not particularly helpful. Anyone can have a bad experience with a particular seller, and then go around warning others about that seller's "lack of integrity." I've read similar Cafe´comments about dealers that almost invariably get praised by others for honesty and customer service.

No dealer is faultless; we all make mistakes. But accusing one of the major US vintage instrument dealers of "ripping off" buyers, without evidence other than an anecdote from an unidentified source, is a low blow, IMHO.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Not that Mandolin Bros. needs any defending--certainly not from me--but they are truly a top-notch, reputable, honest establishment. I've made several significant purchases from them over the past 10 yrs, and remain more than satisfied with what I got. And they're incredibly gracious, besides: on one of my visits, without my even expressing an interest, Stan just handed me a Lloyd Loar from the back to try. And I'm a "nobody"!

And to give a first-hand transaction account, I bought a Flatiron F-5 Artist Model from MB in 1985. Stan (from MB) and Stan (from Elderly) had the same instrument class in stock and ready to go...at the exact same price...I went with MB because I could hold the thing.

I went back into this post to correct a typo and was sorely tempted to remove it, MB hardly needs defending from a scurrilous attack

14. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

First of all, Jim (OP) you can ask to play the high end mandolins including the Loar-signed F5s. Someone will be with you when you do but you can certainly play them. I have a number of times. You do have to ask, since they are usually not on display.

Second, I do agree with the majority of people here that Mandolin Brothers is an excellent store, one of my favorite places to visit. I bought both my first Gibson and my Flatiron A5-2 there. Also, they never make you feel obligated to buy and the sales folk, including Stan, are genuinely enthusiastic about showing you things that they like. In the old days I recall their prices were among the highest for vintage stuff however i think the other major vintage dealers are pretty close these days. They are competitive tho on the new instruments and, I believe, will meet other competing prices.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Vuksinich View Post
    And I'm a "nobody"!
    Wait, Matt! I know you! You are not a nobody!! Far from it!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Mandolin Brothers treated me well demonstrating the instrument I was interested in, and spending considerable time with me talking about the mandolin. I had only a few days before gone blind and was afraid to attempt to diddle with the mando for fear of damaging it. The instrument was very well set up. I knew I was spending a bit more but I wanted to buy from a well reputed dealer with well set up instruments, and I did. A very rewarding purchasing experience. And a highly enjoyable just going there.

Hey verbs4us, I'm always curious about the state of their stock of Gibson As, which are usually readily hanging for you to try.
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Ferry View Post
    This may very well be untrue, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.
    Marc, your signature says, 'young mandolinist' and maybe your too young to know that repeating second hand slander on the internet doesn't do any good to your own rep. I've dealt with this shop for more than 30 years. They didn't last that long by 'ripping people off'.

And of course they will let you play any instrument in the store. Just be respectful of their time and business. And get a slice across the street after. That's good pizza.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

You go, Allen. Right on.

22. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

I went there when I had been playing for just a few years and Stan spent a long time with me bringing instruments over to try over and over. I didn't buy anything but a shirt. Stan couldn't have been nicer and I had a great experience.

Blog Entries

Marc,
    Lesson learned? Stan is an institution in the Mandolin World. What another dealer thinks of his price structure seems to pale compared to the experiences of people here. His store is still a bucket list item for me, along with attending an Andy Statman concert at the Synagogue in NYC. Day trip to dream about.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

When I lived on the East Coast, I'd make it to Mandolin Brothers every chance I had...Staff was very accommodating, even though I clearly wasn't in the market for a expensive instrument. One time I simply asked "what's cool?", and out came Wes Montgomery's L5! Great service, and memorable visits playing/testing/holding my dream instruments. From my experiences, there would be no problem checking out the F5's.

My son and I just visited Mandolin Bros. last week. We were vacationing in Point Pleasant, NJ and thought we’d make the trip up. Spent about five hours there before heading back.

We found them to be as accommodating as advertised. The instrument selection was great. The store did not seem busy (we were there on a Wednesday I believe) and we were not once pestered by the sales staff, which consisted of Stan and his two grown children. The only negative thing I would say is, prepare to experience “instrument overload”. It’s kind of like being a food addict at a buffet that has everything – it’s hard to truly savor and enjoy any one item because you’re thinking about the next one, and you’re going to get full before you have a chance to try everything you want to try. My son was much better about this than I was. I kept saying, “Ok, now try this one, I want to hear this one,” and he’d say, “No, I’m saving that one for later.” At times it was excruciating, but he eventually played them all. Also, we took a break for lunch (Burrito Bar) and came back, which allowed us to kind of regroup. If I was serious about buying something, and it was possible, I’d want to visit the shop several times. There’s just so much there it’s hard to absorb everything in one session.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1064[1].jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	121588Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1078[1].jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	121589Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1080[1].jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	121587

Blog Entries

Just ask and I'm sure Stan will let you play anything, I know a few months ago they had an old Gibson mando I wanted BAD . a 1935 F-10 and I was going to get a great cash price compared to the 18.5G at Retrofret for a 34 F-10! Stan was Kool throughout but before I could get the $$ together she was gone! BUMMER!!!

I live in Norway, and will be going to NY (and USA) for the first time in September. My nr1 tourist attraction will be the Statue of Liberty, which I will pass on my way to Staten Island and Mandolin Brothers (tourist attraction nr2). I will spend a considerably longer time at nr2. My main intention this time is to possibly buy me a guitar. If I can't find it at MB, I guess I won't find it anywhere, although I'm also planning a visit to Retrofret in Brooklyn. Wish me luck! Sorry for detracting from the thread. Just being excited, I guess:-)

29. The following members say thank you to John Kinn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Gregg View Post
    Hey verbs4us, I'm always curious about the state of their stock of Gibson As, which are usually readily hanging for you to try.
    Will do, Amanda. Which are you interested: new, used, both?

Stan is a walking talking encyclopedia of string instrument knowledge. If there's anyone on the planet who knows more I'd sure like to know who that is!

Even though the prices are at the top of the market they are within market parameters and justified. MB instruments are gone over with a fine tooth comb and each instrument is described in exhaustive detail. Those of you who are fans of Stan's florid prose as I am know this to be true. If there's anyone on the planet who gives you more details about an instrument, I'd sure like to know who that is!

I got to visit the shop once. I regret that I wasn't in the market. I sure would have liked to buy something from Stan.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    Marc,
    Lesson learned? Stan is an institution in the Mandolin World. What another dealer thinks of his price structure seems to pale compared to the experiences of people here. His store is still a bucket list item for me, along with attending an Andy Statman concert at the Synagogue in NYC. Day trip to dream about.

Jamie
    From Pottstown to Staten Island? Can't be more than two hours on the road. Do it, man!