Thread: Documentary on Levon Helm

Default Documentary on Levon Helm

This may have been discussed prior, but I just recently saw the documentary on Levon Helm "Ain't in it for My Health" on Netflix (came out last fall). A very interesting film about one of music's more iconic fellows. You even get to see Levon play some A and F-model mandolin...Well worth the watch.

http://levonhelmfilm.com

Default Re: Documentary on Levon Helm

I saw that a while back, very interesting movie! Well worth watching!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I watched it on Netflix. I saw The Band a few times over the years. Levon always played at least one tune on the mandolin every time I saw him.

AKA Billgrass

Twas surprised by the volume of Mandolin content. I agree the movie is worth watching, particularly if you are of a certain age and still can hear the opening lick of THE WEIGHT in your head!

One issue raised during the film, is the source of Levon's financial problems: no songwriting royalties. Performance yes, but writing, no.

Sad how often the wreckage of great musical collaboration is due to disagreements about sharing credit and money! Imagine if that group had lasted as long as U2! The tunes we would have!
    Daily joy - morning noon and night:

The emblem for the Levon Helm Band has a prominently displayed F-5 as part of its composition. Happy I got to see post-Robbie The Band and Llevon Helm Band a few times. I always knew he played mandolin, but I was really excited when I say a pic of him playing a Telecaster!
    Skip Kelley F5-BRW Adi/Brazilian rosewood with Virzi

Quote Originally Posted by Billgrass View Post
    ...particularly if you are of a certain age and still can hear the opening lick of THE WEIGHT in your head!
    For the record, my boys are 8, 7, and 5, and The Weight is their second most common request (after Guy Clark tunes).

7. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

lenf12 

Yes Marty, "The Weight" has become a classic American(a) composition. It's so good to hear your kids dig it too. I also really like "Acadian Driftwood" for it's strong musical connection to "The Weight" but also because my grandparents migrated from the Maritime Provinces to the USA back in the 1920's.

Here's a nicely illustrated studio version of "Acadian Driftwood". Enjoy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te7KW4K-00E

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Last edited by lenf12; Nov-09-2015 at 1:16pm.

9. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Cool mention, Ain't In It For My Health is highly recommended. I've seen it numerous times, watched it again this weekend in fact. Love Levon.

I have another recommendation though not so much mandolin content: Glen Campbell - I'll Be Me is a ridiculously poignant movie, a must see IMO and its on Netflix

11. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

I need to re watch that, I was really impressed the first three times I saw it!

Have not seen the Glen Campbell one but, there is one on studio musicians done by Tommy Tedesco's son called "The Wrecking Crew" well worth the time too! Glen was in that too!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Yes, wrecking crew was great, btw big Leon Russell fan here. Muscle Shoals is great, could watch it often. But the Glen Campbell movie is also an unprecedented documentary about Alzheimer's as well as music - truly a great and unforgettable story.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Big Leon Russell fan here too, but I feel obligated to throw out this caveat: went to see him last year and was very disappointed. He played everyone else's songs but his own, and none of his more well known tunes (at least not by the time we walked out an hour into the show).

I had looked forward to seeing him for a long time, so felt quite let down.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I play a seldom heard song done by The Band and I think written by Levon: Daniel and the Sacred Harp.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    I play a seldom heard song done by The Band and I think written by Levon: Daniel and the Sacred Harp.
    Like most of the songs on The Band's first few albums, that one was credited only to Robbie Robertson.

Twas surprised by the volume of Mandolin content. I agree the movie is worth watching, particularly if you are of a certain age and still can hear the opening lick of THE WEIGHT in your head!
    Yeah, I can still hear that lick so clearly, followed by Levon's spare drum lick and his voice pullin' in to Nazareth. No mando content on the recorded version of that tune, although there was plenty on the version that flew through the air sometime after midnight on the final night of the final Mandolin Symposium.

One issue raised during the film, is the source of Levon's financial problems: no songwriting royalties. Performance yes, but writing, no.
    From what I can tell, Levon's only songwriting credits on the first three Band albums were for "Jemima Surrender" and "Strawberry Wine." How big would you guess the annual royalty check is for those two tunes?

As much as I appreciate Helm occasionally bringing mandolin into the Band's songs, for me, his mando playing runs a distant third behind his intricate drumming and his rich vocals. When he sang it, there was no question that Virgil Kane was the name.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    ... intricate drumming and his rich vocals. When he sang it, there was no question that Virgil Kane was the name.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

And he was "Ridley" in "The Right Stuff" as well as Loretta Lynn's father in "Coal Miners Daughter", to mention just a few accomplishments outside the music world! What a guy!
    Timothy F. Lewis

If I recall correctly, Levon claims in the doc that the down-home sound you find on "Cripple Creek" and others was something he alone brought to Robbie and by extension the Band. Of course that cannot translate directly to songwriting credits but I got the impression he felt Robbie cheated him by failing to acknowledge (or recognize) Levon's contribution to the Band. I love all those guys so I find it hard to take sides, but dang I sure felt for Levon after watching it.

I also felt bad for Levon after watching the documentary. As regards his alleged songwriting contributions to The Band's oeuvre, however, I would probably give them more credence if he had gone on to do any of his own songwriting in his ensuing solo career. I think he did little to no original material after leaving The Band. Someone will correct me if I have that wrong.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

The wiki tells us Levon Helm wrote nothing on "Music From Big Pink," co-wrote "Jemima Surrender" and "Strawberry Wine" with Robbie Robertson ("The Band" and "Stage Fright," respectively), co-wrote "Life Is a Carnival" with Robbie Robertson and Rick Danko" (Cahoots"), and that's it. Not every singer is a songwriter, not every songwriter is a singer. Levon was a great singer, great drummer, and played the mandolin just fine. Whatever he didn't do does not diminish himself in my eyes, not a bit.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

It was a sad film, from the standpoint that there was such a big "falling out" between the musicians in "The Band".
    The thread regarding "How do I decline being asked to join a band" thread has some of the issues that I have had with members. Thankfully, only one departure there had any long lasting hard feelings.
    Timothy F. Lewis

[QUOTE=lenf12;1447215]Yes Marty, "The Weight" has become a classic American(a) composition.

Written by a Canadian...

Levon's issue is not at all uncommon. The real money has been in publishing rights. Few writing artists have been really happy with the deals they've gotten. Few band mates from successful groups have been happy with the inequities between published vs. unpublished members once the fire's gone out. Eagles vs. Geffen. Ginger Baker vs. Jack Bruce. I'm with JB, Levon is not diminished in the least, I'd say he is one of my musical heroes and definitely a big influence.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff