Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1920212223

Thread: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet music.

Default Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz0fk3G7upQ

Yes, this might appear off-topic but since we're talking about Sicilians~ and Dave and I share that trait!

Firsts for Sicilians! LOVE IT! Thanks, Dave! Made my day! I had no idea "Tiger Rag" was written bySicilian La Rocca! My first memory of it is in high school marching band. Little did I know back then! So...first jazz recording: Sicilian-led jazz band. First Hawaiian steel guitar recording: Sicilian (Calamara~just to give everyone a sneak peek)!

2. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uapraiupj...rq2Pwg2Ia?dl=0

This link will take you to the Method Books folder: Gavitti, Pignoloni, and Tesio. Each can be invaluable assistance to the guitarist who accompanies (and to mandolinists) seeking a consistent and dependable chord patterns, correct voicings, and the Italian touch! I would download Pignoloni's small booklet and strongly suggest that Tesio's method be examined in light of his love for Cristoforo. As to Gavitti, I don't know very much about him and was not able to include him in the HEROES book.

Hope you're enjoying the beginning to a lovely summer.
    Last edited by Mandophile; Jun-04-2019 at 7:40pm.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

I love the title of Tesio's book: "Complete Musical Catechism."
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- 1937 Gibson L-Century -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

http://harpguitars.net/blog/2019/06/bohmania/ You can download the stories by Gregg and by me.

I'm so excited to finally be able to share with all cafe members and guests. After HEROES was published, I put together the threads that I had left behind and found more as I deepened my research. Piecing together the rare clues and very few documents, and with the help of wonderful friends I've met on MandoCafe, I give you an intriguing Chicago story of two musicians who fell in love.

The Calamara story is now published on line at Gregg Miner's website. Once you click, you'll see the parallel stories --his wonderful compare and contrast analysis of the harp guitars and my story about the Calamara couple --mandolinist Nettie and harp guitar player Emilio.

Light those fireworks! get your refreshing glass of prosecco and enjoy the fried calamara! Happy Fourth! Sheri

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Hi Jim.
    i couldn't get dropbox to work on my machine but, I checked out your soundcloud. Sogno Di Bimba was great. What did you use for the backing, it was a Bass right?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9zhxeekpy...Zb9lDzWUa?dl=0
    ITAIAN VINTAGE AUDIO RECORDINGS

To celebrate five yea(yesterday!) since I started this thread, I want to celebrate the fabulous Italian mandolinists and guitarists.
    Just added three new titles--all recorded on a metal disc and recorded within a block of the old Di Bella store on 116th.
    These were labeled "Luigi Giorno Trio": NEW TITLES:
    Amore e Follia (Caropresi)
    Trionfo dei Mandolinisti (Canoro)
    Vitina maz (Greco)

Thank you to everyone for helping to preserve the music. A big shout out to Mike Guggino! practicing at home on Caropresi maz. I'm really looking forward to seeing/hearing him and the Dawg next Sunday, July 21 when they come to my backyard--at Sonoma State! YIPPEE!!
    p.s. I'll be uploading a new recording index later today. Stay tuned! Big shout out to Normanno!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Italian_Audio_Vintage_Recordings_Index-7.11.19.pdf  
    Last edited by Mandophile; Jul-12-2019 at 6:10pm. Reason: add attachment

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

And yes---the mandolin being played by my Grandfather Luigi Giorno on Amore Follia --Mazurka by" G. Caropresi is indeed the one featured on the cover of Sheri's book. After 100yrs this mandolin from Italy is alive and well and still residing with me here in Germantown in Philly and still receives visitors, ethnomusicoligists, and assorted italophiles throughout the year ! If it could only talk ......."Tante Serenate sotto le finestre"......

13. The following members say thank you to Musicapralis704 for this post:

A new Cardilli title (a waltz composed by the Maestro himself) "Segreto del Cuore" now resides in the CARDILLI FOLDER

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b2jz8my27...RDzxLaKVa?dl=0

UPDATED INDEX is attached here with new title.

Thanks, Normanano! I can't wait to try it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_7.20.2019_8P.pdf  
    Last edited by Mandophile; Jul-20-2019 at 10:08pm. Reason: typo

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

MUSIC CATALOGS FOLDER
    I just uploaded a Cardilli music catalog, probably published around 1911. It is a thematic catalog with the latest
    (mostly) Neapolitan canzone and includes his mandolin trios. I only recently found it on eBay so was unable to draw on
    it for my Cardilli chapter in HEROES. Note: Cardilli's catalog is 42 pages and it measures only 4 1/2" by 7" so I scanned two pages
    at a time. Here's the link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g2slmtau8...8U_0uC-Ba?dl=0

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Guggino shreds it with the Dawg!
    Steep Canyon Rangers and Grisman (Green Music Center 7-21-2019)
    OK to download! What a phenomenal afternoon!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dgh3vph0f...SXfB9Qwca?dl=0

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Great post, photos, and musical snippets of Grisman and his group! I've been a fan of his ever since I first saw the film "King Of The Gypsies" way back in 1978 ! What a beautiful musical score he created-- along with Stephane Grappelli for this film ! Such passionate, evocative music-- so much like the beautiful minor keys and and harmonies that appear in so much of our beloved Sicilian, and Southern Italian ballo liscio music. A film well worth seeing and listening to if you've never seen it !

Grisman was sitting in with the Steep Canyon Rangers...briefly and then they did the finale together. It was such a great day to hear two of my fav mandolinists united! I'll have to check out the film...as I've never seen it! Grappelli and Cipolla played together on a Grisman album...way back.

Michael Reichenbach

I have just uploaded a new video for Sentimento Notturno (Nocturne Thoughts) , by Prof. L. Canoro, published in 1928 by A. Paolilli's Music Co. from Sheri's dropbox archive. A very nice tune in e minor, very easy guitar part, nice second mandolin.

Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mandoisland For This Useful Post:

Just uploaded Canoro's guitar part for "La Napoletana" mazurka. It's in the Di Bella folder.
    Also updated the Index with recent corrections and it shows #151 as a complete trio. (SEE ATTACHED INDEX)
    If you have any questions, feel free to contact me via mandophile or this thread. Thanks everyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_8.25.2019_10A.pdf  

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Thanks so much for adding this mussing G part-- fir this classic mazurka composed by Maestro Canoro and dedicated to his daughter Marietta !! Mille Grazie Sheri !

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9zhxeekpy...Zb9lDzWUa?dl=0

Italian Vintage Audio Recordings --various

just updated with new recording of Canoro's La Dolce Cristina.

See attached PDF of the titles to see what is in the Drop Box folder.
    If you want to familiarize yourself with the ballo liscio dance tradition, this is a great way to get started.
    Happy Harvest Moon!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Italian_Audio_Vintage_Recordings_Index-9.14.2019.pdf  

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

just added a September 1954 recording made at Bella Napoli on Mulberry Street. Luigi Giorno from Germantown, PA. and his M2, Joe G. and Tony C on guitar. "Niagara" was published by Tesio. You can follow along with the complete trio available in the Tesio folder. An updated index of titles is attached here.

Caveat: an annoying woman talks in the background, it's tolerable but I thought I should warn you!

The celebratory mood was evident due to this trip to Manhattan and the final return of Trieste under Italian rule. Some of you who bought my HEROES book know how important the Irredentist movement was (after WW1 and after WW2). Many titles from these publishers were political in nature and while this title "Niagara" probably refers to the Canadian falls, the mood was that of redeeming one more piece of lost property that both the wars' peace treaties stole from Italy.

p.s. refer to previous post for the Vintage Italian Recording folder link.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Italian_Audio_Vintage_Recordings_Index-9.16.2019.pdf  

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post: