Page 1 of 27 1234526 ... LastLast

Thread: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet music.

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Default Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet music.

I have been working for quite a while now, having scanned very old public domain sheet music I own. What's been done so far is now available in a Drop Box; hundreds of old ballo liscio sheet music (almost exclusively published between 1880s and early 1920s) scanned from my library and elsewhere. Among the Italian American publishers in Philadelphia, Providence, New Jersey, New York City etc) you will find Century, Cardilli, de Stefano, di Bella, Pagani, Paolilli, Schettino et. al. I believe all titles are no longer in publication and without copyright. The publishers have gone out of business many decades ago and stopped publishing. Trios are arranged for mandolin 1 and 2, plus guitar. Currently, I have close to 400 titles that can be accessed and downloaded. Yes, for FREE!
    Right now, I can and have also uploaded links to my Facebook page (Sheri Mignano Crawford) for access and for easy download but you'd have to friend me, I think, to get the files via that social media. I'm including a couple of links here just to see if this works out.
    Below is the first link to a list of titles by publisher (Excel spreadsheet)
    the second link is to the Cardilli collection --so far
    the third is to di Bella. --so far

Feel free to ask me any questions in this forum. I'd be glad to reply.
    HERE'S the link to see the titles of the sheet music currently available.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/iechi0jsxy...RS_7.11.14.xls

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kxnl2zskn...5rngS_r1uKwHDa

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j2j05kz3s...6i6pD5n8eNMNua

I'd love to get some feedback as to how successful you are at getting into the files etc.
    Grazie, Sheri

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

hey it works. the second link is to the Philadelphia publisher de Stefano, not Cardilli. I will post the other folders very soon.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5hd6gxrtt...mL8JwLrlZwghZa Cardilli
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rec0ru50d...9A1RpAsSWNCT1a Pagani
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0v1uux6li...u89ML0PQyn3zja Paolilli
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ib9grosrm...9qD9oBRiB-V8Qa Tesio
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1c0z85o2l...zD_vWQ8Jn8tEza miscellaneous
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0iu66pjwhc...ES_7.11.14.xls combined Indexes by titles

As I continue to upload new titles, you should be able to maintain access to the newer files...but as I'm also new at this Drop Box, please feel free to ask me about new materials etc. thank you and I hope you enjoy the music and share it.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Absolutely incredible, Sheri! What a wonderful and generous act on your part! Your "Mandolin Melodies" has been such a great resource for my own playing. I look forward to many hours of and enjoyment (and learning) from this huge Dropbox stash.

mille grazie per tutto....

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Wonderful!!! Thank you!!
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Sheri, thanks so much for sharing this preservation work. I was able to download all of the files without problems in just a few minutes. Now I only need to find the hours to play through this great collection!

John G.

P.S. I remember spending a fun hour or so at the CMSA convention in Montreal with you and a group of serious ballo liscio players sight-reading some of your "Mandolin Melodies" collection. Maybe we'll see you in Portland this fall?

Sheri, I downloaded everything quickly with no problems. Thank you so much for all your time and effort, including making an index, and for sharing it. I passed on the links to friends in Maine.
    Harper (My other mandolin is a harp)

Wow, you are a very generous person! Thank you for your hard work.
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

Fantastic! Thanks a heap, Sheri!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Professional Cat Herder Phil Vinyard's Avatar

Wow! I'm blown away with all that cool music. Many thanks!
    Phil Vinyard
    Gibson Jam Master F Standard #12 May 13, 2009
    Gibson Model A #67336 ca. 1921
    Harwood Bowlback ca. 1900
    Trinity College TM-325 Octave Mandolin
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass

Absolutely incredible! Thank you very much. I am sure quite a few of us will spend a lot of time enjoying this music. What a nice thing you have done for so many of us who play, and also for others who listen.

I went thru a bunch of these and there are some missing parts. It may be possible that I have them and will let you know when I have time to check.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi Jim,
    Yes, they're are missing parts as noted in the far right column of the spreadsheet. I've only identified what has been collected. This was the main reason why I posted at Mando Cafe..it's a APB to anyone who has any parts to fill in the vacuum where it exists. While a majority are complete there are titles that only have one part. It would be great to have everyone participate in this endeavor. My first thought is to invite people to submit the sheet music to me as a graphics file so I can vet, enter into the list, convert to PDF, and upload. I don't believe my drop box is set up to allow just anyone to add/delete. It would probably be too chaotic.
    So, by all means, anyone who reviews the list should be able to identify missing part. This would be wonderful to have the entire mandolin cafe participating in this historic venture! Thanks, Sheri

Thank you very much for this wonderful collection! What a great undertaking to scan all that music, and what a generous act to share it so willingly with all of us!

To receive such a warm reception and hear from so many fine fretted friends/players about the joys of playing this music, well, that has made it all worth while. I am continuously updating the excel spreadsheets (new ones today). More is coming in. In the meantime, I thought I should add the link where you see the actual catalog listings and title page samples from the publishers. This way we can all be aware of how much MORE exists out there and has gone missing. We want to fill the vacuum. So check out this link that contains catalog listings:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g2slmtau8...NMq4R8U_0uC-Ba

What a treasure trove of music, and blessings to you Sher for sharing these. For my contribution to the cause, I have taken the liberty of compiling the files into five or six documents for those who don't want to mess with all those individual files. I hope that's OK - I will take them down immediately if not. They are also available on drop box:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s98qepew6u...educed%202.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oz1bu71keg...educed%202.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbcjb7on0d...educed%202.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u046nr9hxb...educed%202.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bua10j2cyv...educed%202.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/srw9oa1mw1...educed%202.pdf

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to morgan For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

whatever makes it easier and faster. I appreciate the help. I don't think that will affect the drop box archive itself. thank you!

Wow! What a resource. Can't wait to get stuck into these. Do you mind if I post any versions I manage to assemble? It might be interesting to hear how we are all using the materials. Would anyone like to recommend any they particularly like so far?

Johnny

22. The following members say thank you to clachanmusic for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by clachanmusic View Post
    Wow! What a resource. Can't wait to get stuck into these. Do you mind if I post any versions I manage to assemble? It might be interesting to hear how we are all using the materials. Would anyone like to recommend any they particularly like so far?
    I've recorded quite a few of these over the past two years or so -- there are so many gems here!

Sheri and I have been discussing these Dropbox folders for a few weeks prior to her public announcement. Many of these are new to me, but a fair number I've had for some time: some are in Sheri's book, "Mandolin Melodies" (if you're reading this and don't have the book, go and get it -- she's picked many of the best tunes and arranged them in a more user-friendly form than the original scans), some are tunes that both she and I had independently of each other, some are tunes we both got recently from the same collector who wants to stay anonymous and who sent a large batch of Di Bella and Di Stefano tunes to us, and some are tunes I sent to Sheri recently to include in the Dropbox folders (as it turned out, she already had many of them anyway).

Here are ones I have already recorded (in reverse order of recording):

Il Canto dell'Allodola (Song of the Lark)
    Constanza Mazurka
    Lieto Avvenire
    L'Amore Di Un Angelo
    Fior D'Aprile
    Fin Du Siecle
    La Farfalla (Butterfly)
    Waves Of The Danube
    Profumo D'Amore
    My Love Tango
    Aida Mazurka
    Sogno d'una Fata
    In Fondo Al Mare
    Liebestraum
    La Petite Tonkinoise
    Lieto Passato
    Serenade I
    Speranze Perdute

I think these are all included in Sheri's folders -- apologies if the odd one is missing, I haven't gone through them to make sure they're all there. I've not included the ones I've learned directly from Sheri's book, some of which may also be in her folders.

Martin

24. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Yes, post anywhere and distribute worldwide! My preferences are always, it seems, the smaller numbers..earliest publications. So use the catalog and my excel spreadsheet to see those titles. The older stuff is the best. Check publication date column. Some of the really well known mazurkas may not be here as we concentrated on most dances that have not been available. Becucci and Canoro are the best composers!! Hands down. Try those composers first.

Fior d'Aprile has exquisite harmonies, too. Anything Canoro wrote is in the 100th percentile.

Also, several years ago my good friend Ralph Muscatell, now gone, videotaped my mandolin group and other ensembles. Since he died last year I've been managing his channel on YouTube. There are about 20+ ballo liscio dances recorded. Just search "Musky527" and you'll see that I've put them all in the ballo liscio playlist category. The mandolinists are identified in each video. Enjoy!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

I've just recorded one of the Pagani tunes from Sheri's folders, "Ginetta" -- a mazurka written by Santi Tafarella, one of Pagani's regular composers and one of my favourite composers (I've already recorded six of his other tunes). This tune is new to me, however.

Tafarella recorded this mazurka with his band, the "Sestetto Italiano Tafarella", on RCA Victor records (Victor 78600, issued 28 January 1926). The old Pagani shop on Bleecker Street now houses an Italian restaurant, also called "Pagani" -- I haven't been, but it looks rather nice in photos.

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

I am utterly astounded by the treasure trove of wonderful old music. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Sheri! I have been playing with the idea of a reader's session in the Des Moines area. Now I have TONS of music to start with... should I ever get around to figuring out how to do such a thing.
    Connor

Check out my new double-neck Mandolin:
    http://lee588.wix.com/mandoventure#!problem/mainPage

lovely! the melody is enchanting, and to gaze on the historic context is just utterly satisfying. Great job, Martin. I loved reading that Pagani did a "mean business in accordions"!

33. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post: