Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet music.

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Default Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

That is a cribbed waltz titled "L'Indifference." It is composed by Joseph Colombo and Tony Mureno, Italian immigrants who arrived in Paris in time to enjoy the explosion of bal musette venues called guinguettes. There are lots of transcriptions of this fast-paced java waltz. I've attached my transcriptio/arrangement based on the 1942 edition from Léon Agel, M 144.

Since I can't see the sheet music, I don't know what arrangement they're using but it is typical bal musette. Nearly all the bal musette composers were Italian immigrants. If you want, you can order my CD with 75+ bal musette titles in PDF format. It is called "French Soirée" via Pay Pal. Bon Chance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails L'Indifference_d_F.pdf  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

YES! That is indeed the song in key of FMaj. And here is where I get to feel really silly - I actually downloaded an arrangement of it in GMaj last year after exploring bal musette online. It was beyond my ability then and I hadn't remembered having downloaded the sheet music. Well at least I am consistent in what catches my ear and gets stuck there!

How do I find your Bal Musette CD of PDFs? Merci beaucoup!

Hi, everyone. I got my copy of Heroes in the mail on Saturday. Wonderful, and informative. I haven't gotten to the "dense" parts yet, but so far it's great. Thanks as always, Sheri!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christopher Stetson For This Useful Post:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9zhxeekpy...Zb9lDzWUa?dl=0

this is the audio file link which includes an Index of titles as a PDF. Many if not most of the titles are in the Drop Box. Learn from the pros as to what this music sounds like, the right tempos etc.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

just updated and uploaded the Italian audio file Index. Little by little I am trying to fill in the missing titles or recordings. Sorry for any inconvenience. Hope you're enjoying the dances, too! Just uploaded Vicari playing on the Columbia label "Allegria in Montagna."

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Not since September have I updated the Index for the combined folders. See attached.

One new and enchanting composition (intermezzo-serenata) from the Hero on Bleecker Street, "Sogno D'Autunno", added to the Cardilli folder. Dedicated to his 'figlia' Vittoria, it was probably a vain attempt to win her affection in an ugly separation between Cardilli's wife and Cardilli. She took the daughter and Cardilli, the son. While they never divorced (you simply can't do that!), the estrangement got worse with his wife "living in sin" with a much younger man.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_2.11.2019_1P.pdf  

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

The book launch at Volpi's in downtown Petaluma on my birthday was a delight. Mandolinists came out and a grand daughter of Maestro Luigi Canoro. It was such a delight to meet Shelley Diamond and her Italian mandolin-playing boyfriend. I know so many descendants in the virtual world as a result of my research but to meet someone is rare. As mentioned in my HEROES book, Canoro's internment was a couple of miles from where my mother lived. As a result of Shelley's hard work, a beautiful photo of his placque appears at the end of his chapter. It honors the best composer in the book...the songbird of Naples!

see attached photo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0147.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	174802  

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

It has been several months since I added anything to the Drop Box. The final push to get HEROES published took every ounce of energy. I'm happy to say that these new titles are ALL TESIO! They were in sad shape and could not have endured any additional handling. As a result, they were scanned with great caution and required special care.

THE UPDATED INDEX --as attached-- contains six new titles. Tesio was in the early stages of building his mandolin music catalog (and would reissue titles with Century as they became best selling titles. While the older generation of mandolinists was nearly extinct and the Belle Epoque waned, one might have been able to find these titles via European publishers but Tesio's arrangements remained a rich resource. He was so careful after the copyright office nearly shut him down (details in my HEROES book!) that he made darn sure he covered himself. You'll note his conscientious record and adherence to the rules of copyright on the title pages. Enjoy these additions to the Drop Box.

TESIO FOLDER LINK
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ge77nkdb8...7XP6wylRa?dl=0

NEW INDEX ATTACHED

West Point March (M1 only)
    Tre Amici Trio
    Treno Lampo Trio Marucelli
    Bridal polka M1 Carosio
    Squilli di Udine Trio (there are several Faruzzi in the Drop Box--all are a cut above!)
    Chrysanthemum (M1 only) Sartori
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_2.26.2019_8A.pdf  

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Michael Reichenbach

Hi Sheri,

Here is the Tarantella Siciliana by Giuseppe Tarantola from your archive, the mandolin trio from the O. Pagani edition:

I have started searching for recordings by Tarantola and I Quattro Siciliani - great stuff!
    Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mandoisland For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandoisland View Post
    Hi Sheri,

Here is the Tarantella Siciliana by Giuseppe Tarantola from your archive, the mandolin trio from the O. Pagani edition:

I have started searching for recordings by Tarantola and I Quattro Siciliani - great stuff!
    That's very fine fingering work!

However it sounds a slight bit German style to me - no tremolos on the longer notes. Now, I understand this tune doesn't have many long notes, but listen to the interpretation on this tarantella, and hear that she puts some tremolo on the ending pitches.

I keep bringing this issue up because I love this music and love that folks are playing these tunes....but just like Irish music sounds best with the "nyah" and appropriate ornamentation like rolls and cuts, Italian mandolin music is dry and non-Italian sounding senza tremolo.

Nice sounding bowlback, too.

https://www.amazon.com/siciliani-str.../dp/B01M8HI4RB

Did you get this recording yet?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Fugazotto did a great job cataloging and we spoke briefly while I was writing my Tarantola chapter. Living in Italy, she did not and still does not have much access to what we have here re: New York Italians. Anyway, it's worth it to buy the book (level of Italian should be intermediate) but you want it for its beautifully restored recordings of Tarantola's compositions. BTW, I just bought a I Quattro Siciliani on eBay (I have quite a few now) but this one has an all-Polish label and was pitched for Eastern Europeans. It is still IQS with Tarantola playing clarinet. That man had amazing lung capacity--keeping in mind that these were not recorded in segments--just one take--and if he is breathing, he seamlessly phrases and renders these rollercoaster triplets. Catalano's mando work is excellent, too.

21. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Michael Reichenbach

Many of the recordings by I Quattro Siciliani are available here:

Discography of American Historical Recordings

and in the Internet Archive

I have also made a youtube playlist with some of the recordings

23. The following members say thank you to mandoisland for this post:

[QUOTE=mandoisland;1712138]Many of the recordings by I Quattro Siciliani are available here:

Discography of American Historical Recordings

Yes, this is an amazing resource, one that I often consulted for research. Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes we forget that it is, indeed, an worldwide internet! ;-)

25. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

The Drop Box links are not forever as much as we think that everything posted on the internet might be.
    I'm reposting fresh links for all the latecomers--well--for everyone. I'd like everyone to start their own Drop Box folders based on the Italian music publishers. And I'd like everyone to order my HEROES book so you can play their sheet music and learn more about these mandolin publishers and players.

and a reminder, please download this updated Index--as attached here. I'm always making repairs, additions, and corrections.
    A. MATACEA --mandolin and voice (mostly)
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fkfrgnk12...ly4cziLQa?dl=0
    A. PAOLILLI
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dwjop3xot...NZ2FyLJJa?dl=0
    A. GRAUSO
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t0k376jaw...uaXhwIuAa?dl=0
    G.B. DE STEFANO
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i5c9sesbl...pmFWQoraa?dl=0
    M.V. CARDILLI
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b2jz8my27...RDzxLaKVa?dl=0
    O. DI BELLA
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6v7xfftvf...67_YzZ_ga?dl=0
    P. PAGANI
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zvjjf66gj...ubHJo5Uoa?dl=0
    PIETRO TESIO
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ge77nkdb8...7XP6wylRa?dl=0
    VINTAGE ITALIAN AUDIO FILES
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9zhxeekpy...Zb9lDzWUa?dl=0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_4.29.2019_6P.pdf  
    Last edited by Mandophile; Apr-29-2019 at 10:22pm.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

For compare and contrast purposes, it is always great fun to evaluate the various arrangements. Pignoloni was a multi-instrumentalist and I think that guitarists who question the so-called simplistic chording style will see how thoughtful he is with his arrangements.

I've just uploaded two brand new arrangements by Flaminio Pignoloni for O. Pagani. "Che Ridere" a classic Becucci and "Under the Double Eagle" are complete trios and now reside with Pagani folder. Now we have three versions of "Che Ridere" and four versions of "Double Eagle."

I've updated the Index at 6:50P so please update with most recent attached Index. Thx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_4.29.19_6P.pdf  

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    I'd like everyone to start their own Drop Box folders based on the Italian music publishers.
    Sheri: I am not exactly sure how to do this. I have multiple folders in my Dropbox that just showed up there from various folks. Any clues on how to do this?

I do get alerts when folders change so would Dropbox do that automatically?

I see that there is the option to "Save to My Dropbox." I guess that is what you mean?

--------
    Yes! That worked. I guess you have to do it folder by folder. It would be nice to have them all in one folder but they show up separately mixed with all my other folders.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Apr-30-2019 at 11:36am.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

30. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Hmmm. You bring up good points, Jim. I segregate publishers...it's the only sane thing to do but others feel differently. I think some like to see all the titles clustered, others prefer that a specific arranger or composer should stay with his publisher.
    When I said 'save to your dropbox' I think I meant that as a generic term. ;-)

BTW, just uploaded Becucci's Telefono waltz to the Italian Audio Folder. Recorded Easter 1971, Norman Giorno Calapristi is about 17, playing mando and his uncle Joe Grosso on guitar. Using the Tesio edition. I also updated the excel spreadsheet.

32. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Hmmm. You bring up good points, Jim. I segregate publishers...it's the only sane thing to do but others feel differently..
    From a musicologist's POV, it is the sane thing.

As a player, sometimes I'd rather list everything by alphabetical title. If I played a lot of dances again, I might group them by dance genre.

Hey, exciting news—for me, at least. My copy of Italian Mandolin Heroes in America arrived just a few minutes ago. I know many others have this beautiful book already. Very impressive, Sheri. I look fwd to reading it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

35. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Michael Reichenbach

Another great tune from Sheri's archive - Tra Veglia e Sonno - it's also featured in Italian Mandolin Heroes in America.

Two versions:

Tra Veglia e Sonno - Suzuki bowlback

Tra Veglia e Sonno - Washburn M3SBR Jethro Burns

I got this mandolin back from a friend who had bought it from me ca. 20 years ago
    I just put new strings to the mandolin and thought that the sound would fit for the Italian American Mazurka.

I have made one change in the second mandolin part and filled the empty measures of the guitar part to make it possible to play this with my looper. Of course I would prefer to play this life with a real trio.

Which mandolin version do you like better?

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mandoisland For This Useful Post:

This story of recovery and future restoration comes from Luigi Giorno's grandson, Norman. It is one of the many actual investigations that have been launched over the course of the past few years while Norman and I worked on "saving Italian civilization" from the barbarians! LOL! Truly, so much of the Italian mandolin repertoire was slipping through the cracks and disappearing. I am so thankful to Norman and to Donna, a cousin) and VE (Victor Emmanuel) for rescuing the last vestiges of a prolific era in dance music. This was like an archeaological dig in the bowels of a dank, muddy cellar where Italian musicians would rehearse on Baxter Street in the Bowery. SEE ATTACHED PHOTO of the building that currently houses "Whiskey Tavern" is on Baxter Street and the entrance is around the back where they found the subterranen depository of rehearsal dance music.

I've edited his email for the sake of clarity only.

"Yes, VE was digging---literally in a broken cardboard box covered with spiderwebs and plaster dust--(we all had masks and gloves on)-- and pulled out a large black leather folder that split and crumbled when he tried to open it. Inside was a mix of about 30 or more mixed Violin. Mandolin--mainly M2 pieces , an accordion piece by Pietro Deiro--10 pages. Mauro V. Cardilli piano arrangement of the "Royal Italian March."

Inside of a broken piano bench in another corner (the legs sitting in water)--I found a pile of O. Pagani and O. DiBella Band sets and a complete (band) score "uncut"---a Canoro arrangement of a march published by DiBella.

"Cuore D'Artista"-Marcia Sinfonica--and parts----of so many others also composed and arranged by Canoro and a few by Gioè!

We were down there for about 2 hours making sure we boxed and bagged it all--- then went upstairs into his grandsons tenement to cleanup--Believe me we needed it. We had even brought a change of clothes. I was sure we would need them. We dropped off all of those clothes with a Chinese cleaner and VE will bring them back down to us on Wednesday.

Donna went up to the Dakota while we were down that cellar and later took a cab back down to Canal street to meet up with us.

By weeks end they were going to start gutting that building. NOTHING would have survived I'm sure !"

Name:	dsc01015.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	176497  
    Last edited by Mandophile; May-06-2019 at 10:42am. Reason: wrong street

39. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Amazing story, Sher, from the frontlines in "saving Italian mandolin civilization".....Thanks for sharing.
    And for all the hard work, of course!
    Brings to mind Robert Edsel's book "Saving Italy". Like his "Monumnents Men" but just focused on the Italian peninsuela. Great book with lots of unexpected heroes and villains.
    Highly recommended....
    Maybe a similar documentary to be made on your work?
    Mick

Name:	51RCFZRWWaL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	176504  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Yes, I've read the books and you've read my mind. I already know that I want John Turturro to direct and star in it. I'd cast him as Tafarella! I've not thought about the other composers but I'd like to scout Naples and Catania to find some authentic musicians who'd play the music in various episodic flashbacks. I guess I'll have to write the screenplay now!

...LATEST COMMUNIQUE and UPDATE from the FRONTIER
    "At the moment---I've found 28 distinct and complete band parts for full concert band.
    There may be more instruments parts here, but at the moment that's what I've come up with !!!! Will keep you posted thru the week !

This Canoro band arrangement of his composition (as attached here) I carried down with me on the train----much too precious to leave up in NYC until Wednesday or Thursday when VE brings the rest of the crates down."

Name:	20190505_200720.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	812.2 KB 
ID:	176505  
    Last edited by Mandophile; May-06-2019 at 3:42pm.

43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

When my HEROES book began to take shape, gosh, 4-5 years ago, I had to decide on the geographical areas where the Italian communities were significant enough. I purposely left Chicago out for several reasons. I could not find enough Italian composers or arrangers to justify the distraction in my narrative. I felt badly. My grandparents lived there before they moved out to the San Francisco Bay Area. I could not find any Italian mandolin publishers at all and frankly, to seal the tomb, I could not find any Italians working on mandolin trios (composing or arranging). Well, except for one! His name is Emilio Calamara, a significant harp guitarist and his mandolin playing wife Nettie. To make a very long story short (don't worry you will get the long story--I'm close to finishing it) but suffice to say that I knew that after the book was done (phew!) I would find the time to investigate some of the mysterious parts of his life. Little did I know that after four months of intense discovery, I have unraveled one of the most fascinating of all biographies. it is particularly riviting because he married a mandolinist and I have some photos (at least one never seen before) and have benefited from the generosity and kindness of two fellas who made me an offer I could not refuse. I'm pleased to say that when it is uploaded and ready for devouring, I will post the link here and I will possibly make it available for download at Academia.
    The very special (and most unexpected) surprise came today in the mail. I had order some sheet music and had no idea what it would actually be. I was blown away. This piece of music (now in the MISC folder) looked like something written during vaudeville but it turned out not to be...and I'm so glad that it isn't. It is, in fact, THE EARLIEST MANDOLIN TRIO in America. Yep. While it isn't the earliest mandolin trio composed by an Italian in America, it is the first mandolin trio arranged and published. Before De Stefano's and before Tesio, this one was published in the final months of 1895.
    I'm celebrating Emilio Calamara and I deeply apologize to him for not believing enough in the Chicago story to include with the other HEROES! My new story will make it up to him and I promise I have done justice to his life--cut short in such a brutal way.
    Stay tuned! and I hope you enjoy this new piece. One more mind-blowing fact about this title--it is a TANGO! This really blew my mind! I have some theories about this but that will have to wait. The composer is Thomas J. Rohas and I know next to nothing about him--but his sheet music (some) resides in the presidential library of Rutherford B. Hayes. Now there's a president we can all get behind! ;-)

New title: "Good Evening, Miss" Trio arr by Calamara
    MISC FOLDER
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/co16hc6i5...3y9iXmSla?dl=0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_5_13.2019_7P.pdf  

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

When my HEROES book began to take shape, gosh, 4-5 years ago, I had to decide on the geographical areas where the Italian communities were significant enough. I purposely left Chicago out for several reasons. I could not find enough Italian composers or arrangers to justify the distraction in my narrative.
    I assume the same could be said for New Orleans, which has had Italian and Sicilian immigration since the early 1800's. Although there is eveidence of mandolin activity in New Orleans, it seems most of the Italian/Sicilian musicians went into band music; indeed the first recorded jazz was by a band led by a Sicilian.

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post: