Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet music.

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Default Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz0fk3G7upQ

Yes, this might appear off-topic but since we're talking about Sicilians~ and Dave and I share that trait!

Firsts for Sicilians! LOVE IT! Thanks, Dave! Made my day! I had no idea "Tiger Rag" was written bySicilian La Rocca! My first memory of it is in high school marching band. Little did I know back then! So...first jazz recording: Sicilian-led jazz band. First Hawaiian steel guitar recording: Sicilian (Calamara~just to give everyone a sneak peek)!

2. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uapraiupj...rq2Pwg2Ia?dl=0

This link will take you to the Method Books folder: Gavitti, Pignoloni, and Tesio. Each can be invaluable assistance to the guitarist who accompanies (and to mandolinists) seeking a consistent and dependable chord patterns, correct voicings, and the Italian touch! I would download Pignoloni's small booklet and strongly suggest that Tesio's method be examined in light of his love for Cristoforo. As to Gavitti, I don't know very much about him and was not able to include him in the HEROES book.

Hope you're enjoying the beginning to a lovely summer.
    Last edited by Mandophile; Jun-04-2019 at 7:40pm.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

I love the title of Tesio's book: "Complete Musical Catechism."
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

http://harpguitars.net/blog/2019/06/bohmania/ You can download the stories by Gregg and by me.

I'm so excited to finally be able to share with all cafe members and guests. After HEROES was published, I put together the threads that I had left behind and found more as I deepened my research. Piecing together the rare clues and very few documents, and with the help of wonderful friends I've met on MandoCafe, I give you an intriguing Chicago story of two musicians who fell in love.

The Calamara story is now published on line at Gregg Miner's website. Once you click, you'll see the parallel stories --his wonderful compare and contrast analysis of the harp guitars and my story about the Calamara couple --mandolinist Nettie and harp guitar player Emilio.

Light those fireworks! get your refreshing glass of prosecco and enjoy the fried calamara! Happy Fourth! Sheri

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Hi Jim.
    i couldn't get dropbox to work on my machine but, I checked out your soundcloud. Sogno Di Bimba was great. What did you use for the backing, it was a Bass right?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9zhxeekpy...Zb9lDzWUa?dl=0
    ITAIAN VINTAGE AUDIO RECORDINGS

To celebrate five yea(yesterday!) since I started this thread, I want to celebrate the fabulous Italian mandolinists and guitarists.
    Just added three new titles--all recorded on a metal disc and recorded within a block of the old Di Bella store on 116th.
    These were labeled "Luigi Giorno Trio": NEW TITLES:
    Amore e Follia (Caropresi)
    Trionfo dei Mandolinisti (Canoro)
    Vitina maz (Greco)

Thank you to everyone for helping to preserve the music. A big shout out to Mike Guggino! practicing at home on Caropresi maz. I'm really looking forward to seeing/hearing him and the Dawg next Sunday, July 21 when they come to my backyard--at Sonoma State! YIPPEE!!
    p.s. I'll be uploading a new recording index later today. Stay tuned! Big shout out to Normanno!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Italian_Audio_Vintage_Recordings_Index-7.11.19.pdf  
    Last edited by Mandophile; Jul-12-2019 at 6:10pm. Reason: add attachment

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

And yes---the mandolin being played by my Grandfather Luigi Giorno on Amore č Follia --Mazurka by" G. Caropresi is indeed the one featured on the cover of Sheri's book. After 100yrs this mandolin from Italy is alive and well and still residing with me here in Germantown in Philly and still receives visitors, ethnomusicoligists, and assorted italophiles throughout the year ! If it could only talk ......."Tante Serenate sotto le finestre"......

13. The following members say thank you to Musicapralis704 for this post:

A new Cardilli title (a waltz composed by the Maestro himself) "Segreto del Cuore" now resides in the CARDILLI FOLDER

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b2jz8my27...RDzxLaKVa?dl=0

UPDATED INDEX is attached here with new title.

Thanks, Normanano! I can't wait to try it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_7.20.2019_8P.pdf  
    Last edited by Mandophile; Jul-20-2019 at 10:08pm. Reason: typo

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

MUSIC CATALOGS FOLDER
    I just uploaded a Cardilli music catalog, probably published around 1911. It is a thematic catalog with the latest
    (mostly) Neapolitan canzone and includes his mandolin trios. I only recently found it on eBay so was unable to draw on
    it for my Cardilli chapter in HEROES. Note: Cardilli's catalog is 42 pages and it measures only 4 1/2" by 7" so I scanned two pages
    at a time. Here's the link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g2slmtau8...8U_0uC-Ba?dl=0

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Guggino shreds it with the Dawg!
    Steep Canyon Rangers and Grisman (Green Music Center 7-21-2019)
    OK to download! What a phenomenal afternoon!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dgh3vph0f...SXfB9Qwca?dl=0

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Great post, photos, and musical snippets of Grisman and his group! I've been a fan of his ever since I first saw the film "King Of The Gypsies" way back in 1978 ! What a beautiful musical score he created-- along with Stephane Grappelli for this film ! Such passionate, evocative music-- so much like the beautiful minor keys and and harmonies that appear in so much of our beloved Sicilian, and Southern Italian ballo liscio music. A film well worth seeing and listening to if you've never seen it !

Grisman was sitting in with the Steep Canyon Rangers...briefly and then they did the finale together. It was such a great day to hear two of my fav mandolinists united! I'll have to check out the film...as I've never seen it! Grappelli and Cipolla played together on a Grisman album...way back.

Michael Reichenbach

I have just uploaded a new video for Sentimento Notturno (Nocturne Thoughts) , by Prof. L. Canoro, published in 1928 by A. Paolilli's Music Co. from Sheri's dropbox archive. A very nice tune in e minor, very easy guitar part, nice second mandolin.

Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mandoisland For This Useful Post:

Just uploaded Canoro's guitar part for "La Napoletana" mazurka. It's in the Di Bella folder.
    Also updated the Index with recent corrections and it shows #151 as a complete trio. (SEE ATTACHED INDEX)
    If you have any questions, feel free to contact me via mandophile or this thread. Thanks everyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_8.25.2019_10A.pdf  

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Thanks so much for adding this mussing G part-- fir this classic mazurka composed by Maestro Canoro and dedicated to his daughter Marietta !! Mille Grazie Sheri !

Italian Vintage Audio Recordings --various

just updated with new recording of Canoro's La Dolce Cristina.

See attached PDF of the titles to see what is in the Drop Box folder.
    If you want to familiarize yourself with the ballo liscio dance tradition, this is a great way to get started.
    Happy Harvest Moon!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Italian_Audio_Vintage_Recordings_Index-9.14.2019.pdf  

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

just added a September 1954 recording made at Bella Napoli on Mulberry Street. Luigi Giorno from Germantown, PA. and his M2, Joe G. and Tony C on guitar. "Niagara" was published by Tesio. You can follow along with the complete trio available in the Tesio folder. An updated index of titles is attached here.

Caveat: an annoying woman talks in the background, it's tolerable but I thought I should warn you!

The celebratory mood was evident due to this trip to Manhattan and the final return of Trieste under Italian rule. Some of you who bought my HEROES book know how important the Irredentist movement was (after WW1 and after WW2). Many titles from these publishers were political in nature and while this title "Niagara" probably refers to the Canadian falls, the mood was that of redeeming one more piece of lost property that both the wars' peace treaties stole from Italy.

p.s. refer to previous post for the Vintage Italian Recording folder link.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Italian_Audio_Vintage_Recordings_Index-9.16.2019.pdf  

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

PIANO ROLLS FOLDER:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ai5w4idsh...-4eq3D1Ra?dl=0
    I just uploaded a live performance on a pianola, a 1904 Polyphon Mechanical Player Piano, performed by Norman Giorno-Calapristi, in an old theater near the Galleria Umberto, Naples, in 1991. This new audio recording is Canoro's "I Figlia d'Italia." You can still hear the pianola's tambourine-drum which was in playable condition; however, the mandolin was no longer attached to the piano. The Piano Rolls folder has today's updated index of titles (piano renderings based on the mandolin trios).

MISCELLANEOUS FOLDER (Sheet music)
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/co16hc6i5...3y9iXmSla?dl=0

In addition, I've uploaded an easy to read PDF of "Tarantella Luzzitana" a public domain tarantella from Calabria as performed by Giorno-Calapristi's grandfather, Luigi Giorno in Germantown, Philadelphia, August 1954. Posted here as an attachment.

ITALIAN VINTAGE AUDIO RECORDINGS (MANDOLIN)
    with Giorno playing the Tarantella Luzzitana
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tarantella Luzzitana_M1.pdf  
    Last edited by Mandophile; Nov-24-2019 at 8:20pm.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

A hundred years ago, a group of citizens reorganized the Klan from the Reconstruction era. They chose the Thanksgiving holiday to announce their reinvigorated formation. WWI kept people focused on that catastrophe but by 1921, it was clear that this disruptive, insidious movement needed to be quashed.

This unpublished manuscript of the "Koo [sic] Klux Klan Oath" composed by Luigi Canoro in late 1921 with lyrics by Joseph Lazzopina appears to be a parody of one of the marching songs. Canoro seems to have published it for Violin and Piano but only the Violin part with lyrics has survived. Lazzopina's great sense of humor comes through on the lyrics.

While it certainly would not have appeared in a ballo liscio set list--at least I highly doubt that--it may well have been heard in an Italian Macchiette Napoletane or a vaudevillian style theater in the Bowery or elsewhere.

My Canoro chapter in "Italian Mandolin Heroes in America" eludes to this piece by name but at the time of publishing, it was only known by title. Nothing existed to confirm or deny its meaning. I'm so glad that I did not jump to any conclusion as it turned out to be a scathing spoof on the damaging silliness of this group of citizens.

Sit back and have a great laugh with the lyrics. The Oath is housed in the Miscellaneous folder but is attached here along with the updated Index.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Koo Klux Klan Oath_V_+lyrics.pdf   COMBINED_TITLES_11.30.2019_7A.pdf  
    Last edited by Mandophile; Nov-30-2019 at 10:30am.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Polyphon--1914 Electric/Player Pianola with Built-in Mandolin Mechanism!

This unique type of player piano (made in Germany by Polyphon Co.)---its marketing aimed principally for the Neapolitan theatres, musical community, and families of means. It could also be played manually if desired.

Polyphon and Co. were the publishers of much of the music for the beloved annual "Piedigrotta"--Festivals held each September throughout Naples and neighboring "comuni" of the region of Campania.

The Fall 1914 issue of the magazine that featured the ad for this piano sold at the prestigious "Emilio Gennarelli and Co"- in the Monteoliveto neighborhood of Napoli went for "only"-- a mere 3.500 Lire!!!!!! And they had a beautiful, full, and rich sound to them!!

I played on one of these few remaining pianos while in Napoli in Sept of 1991 and even though on its last leg sorely in need of repairs--its beauty and essence still came thru! A hefty sum for an average Neapolitan working family of the day----!!

The magazine issue is a treasure in itself --a veritable treasure--trove of many of the well known "canzonette napoletane"--of the day all richly arranged for either piano, mandolin, and vocal accompaniment.

I will post them all for downloading when I am finished scanning the entire issue.

In the meantime--I thought the readers and patrons might enjoy seeing this unique and interesting page from the issue.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gennarelli.PNG 
Views:	158 
Size:	744.9 KB 
ID:	181974

Best wishes to all for a Buon Natale and a Prospero Anno Nuovo!

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Musicapralis704 For This Useful Post:

I'll be updating the links that take you to individual music publishers. When you see an old link, you should know that they 'expire' and eventually, they're of no use. Stay tune as I will post each publisher with his link. I strongly suggest you download all PDFs and create your own archive as one can't guarantee that the archives will always be available.
    While I've got your attention, I just wanted to wish you all a very Happy New Year! We should all be on the lookout for the invasion of the Mandalorians. I've no idea what or who they are! No, I doubt that they play mandolin.

38. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Salvatore Pietro (S.P.) Fachutar was one of the original "Spanish" or "Roman" Students and launched a very long and successful career after he left Maestro Carlo Curti's group. He was a v. young man in the year 1880--about 22! Fachutar's biography and lifestyle as a professional mandolinist (& evidence he was a luthier) included self-publishing of his own compositions, an all-around teacher of many instruments including piano, and later in life after he moved out of Chicago and away from Milwaukee, he ran a music studio in Aberdeen, WA but left that town after WW2, settling in Santa Cruz, CA where he established a perfumery on his property and became what we might call an herbalist, or at least, a rather well-educated perfume expert.
    He composed the popular dance genres for mandolin trio but the composition I've uploaded today is a piano score, possibly a polka as it reads as one and sounds like it to me. Fachutar was born in Naples and brought his talents to America--and benefited from the notoriety of associating with Maestro Curti's "Roman Students."
    I've updated the Drop Box Index and added "When Roses Are Blooming in Croatia" into the Miscellaneous folder. Both are attached here.
    Happy New Year 2020!
    Learn more about him: "Musical Courier" April 3, 1895, Vol. XXX-No. 15 pp 12 & 13.
    (Google Books will give you the opportunity to download interview etc)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_12.29.2019_1P.pdf   When_Roses_Bloom_in_Croatia_P.pdf  

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Interesting and informative article. I have always been interested in learning more about Maestro "Carlos" Curti and his so-called Spanish students, so popular in the late 1800's. My grandfather and his group always included his lively composition "La Tipica"--in many of their mandolin group programs. Many Mexican bands also play versions of it.
    The title, "Roses Blooming in Croatia " sounds fascinating.
    Italian influence in Croatia has always been strong--especially in the port cities along the Dalmatian coast: Fiume, Zara, Spalato, and others were actually part of Italy until 1947.
    Can't wait to dowload the new piece.
    Thanks to Sheri for her enlightening article on the Spanish and Roman students.
    Last edited by Musicapralis704; Jan-02-2020 at 7:44pm.

Links expire and if you stumbled upon some defunct links, here are the current viable links identified with their folder name. Each link is a mandolin publisher. Some mandolin publishers, like Pagani, Cardilli and Di Bella diversified their mandolin listings with accordion sheet msuic. (That describes the evolution of mandolin sheet music in my new book "Italian Mandolin Heroes in America."
    Paste these links in your browser and download sheet music to your own Drop Box. Have them handy on your phone or iPad. You never know when you may need them.
    An updated Index is attached as well.

These were Italian mandolin publishers whose catalog listings morphed over the decades as they expanded into the accordion repertoire. Thanks to vaudeville!

Arturo Matacea (many are mandolin and voice)
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fkfrgnk12...ly4cziLQa?dl=0
    Antonio Paolilli
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dwjop3xot...NZ2FyLJJa?dl=0
    Antonio Grauso
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t0k376jaw...uaXhwIuAa?dl=0
    Giovanni De Stefano
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i5c9sesbl...pmFWQoraa?dl=0
    Gaetano Leone
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zo4r2lru4...xIeytUPLa?dl=0
    M.V. Cardilli
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b2jz8my27...RDzxLaKVa?dl=0
    Neapolitan Canzone and Italian canzone (usually written for voice and mandolin)
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pxh3vxt1t...D_jlTjywa?dl=0
    Miscellaneous publishers (you'll find Catalano, Gioč, Messina, Canoro, Fachutar among other musicians who founded their own publishing companies).
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/co16hc6i5...3y9iXmSla?dl=0
    O. Di Bella
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6v7xfftvf...67_YzZ_ga?dl=0
    O. Pagani
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zvjjf66gj...ubHJo5Uoa?dl=0
    Pietro Tesio
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ge77nkdb8...7XP6wylRa?dl=0
    Accordion Sheet Music (Miscellaneous publishers with titles derived from mandolin repertoire and arranged later by accordionists).
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tnp17l9j6...P52_tlQ3a?dl=0
    Italian Vintage Recordings of the ballo liscio dance music
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_12.29.2019_1P.pdf  

43. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

It is rare to find an intact orchestral score arranged for full dance/concert orchestra. In this case, the arranger of "Rondinella" is the most famous composer, Luigi Canoro. Gaetano M. Messina, the composer of this mazurka took the time and effort to ensure that his mandolin trios were professionally arranged for the dance hall crowds. It also shows the 'six-degree' of separation among these Italian musicians. Pietro Tesio, a mandolin publisher who is arguably one of the finest composers and arrangers in the mandolin ballo liscio tradition, published Messina's early compositions and later, granted permission for him to publish under the Messina aegis. You'll find "Rondinella" in the MISCELLANEOUS folder. This orchestral arrangement includes these parts: V1, V2, Viola, Cello, Flute, Clarinet, Cornet 1 & 2, Trombone, Bass, Drums & Bells. Published in 1918, it falls under public domain and would be a terrific addition to any mandolin orchestra program.
    Lastly, what makes this find even more special is that it was found in an Italian city, not Manhattan. The birds of passage flew in both directions!
    see attached --updated index
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_01.26.2020_2P.pdf  

45. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post: