Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet music.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

Although it's not a recording, as we won't get the trio together again until the autumn, people may want to listen to the midi guide track I did for Bicycle -a polka by P. Tesio.
    https://soundcloud.com/eoin-donnello...-score-to-midi

While not ideal, it's a decent flavour of what the tune goes like. (there's one fudged bit where a d.c. al fine just wouldn't behave so it goes to the trio earlier than it should, but works ok)
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

2. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    You are correct to place this (Mazurka Allegra) Munier composition within the ballo liscio thread, and not the classical thread. While certain elements might be classical in flavor, this mazurka exemplifies the stylistic musical ideal of ballo liscio. It is an exceptional piece that establishes the framework for this tradition. Too bad he died before he could enjoy the flourishing era with Canora, Gioč, Sartori, Tafarella, Silvestri, Becucci and others but every great tradition needs a pioneer. Just two suggestions: Mazurkas must be played faster so it will flow more easily, and the third beat needs to be a bit more prominent to distinguish it from the lilting waltz.
    No doubt correct. My recordings of the livelier pieces are generally rather slower than they would have been played for dancing, and also have less distinct dynamics and pulse than they should have. That's partially because of my home recording setup where I'm laying down the tracks one-by-one and therefore can't play off the other musicians, partially because these tunes are all new to me and I'm learning them in the process of making my recordings, and partially because I (and my fellow band members) prefer some of these tunes a bit slower and more relaxed. I'd rather put down a clean and slow version than a fast and sloppy one. Of course, up to speed and clean would be better, but that takes a few weeks or months of regular playing -- those Italian tunes we have been playing with our band for a while are generally a good deal more fluent than those I'm learning from scratch.

Regarding mazurkas, I generally put the stress on the second beat except when the musical context demands it on the third -- would you emphasise the third beat for these Italian mazurkas rather than the second?

For the sake of future reference, here are links to my recent Italian recordings not yet linked in this thread:

Carezze (waltz)
    Angel's Dream (mazurka)
    Te voglio bene assaje (canzone)
    Sorrisi di culla (mazurka)
    Tesoro mio! (waltz)
    Barcarola (Munier)

Speaking of Becucci, a lot of the European mandolin editions of his tunes are in the Nakano archive -- 21 in total. They tend to be a bit fancier than the Di Bella editions. I attach a French and an Italian edition of "Che Ridere!" for comparison, one a mandolin trio and the other a quartet. Both have an intro missing from the Di Bella version, and somewhat fancier guitar parts.

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Becuc‚ƒi-E-MB25-02.pdf   Becuc‚ƒi-E-MB25-04.pdf  

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mlinkins View Post
    The written guitar parts in many instances, can be described, at best, as functional.
    Ok, so here goes. I've never used the reply with quote.
    Many mandolinists who composed were also guitarists. Their chordal choices are crucial to the harmonic design and while we may characterize the simple chord structure as functional (which of course they are), I feel that this style of playing is inherent and best exemplifies the ballo liscio style. Whether you heard a piece in NY, SF, or in Messina or Siracusa, the guitarists played it as written. There is no doubt in mind that the guitar part was just as thoughtfully composed as the melodic phrasing of the M1 part or the harmonic flavor of an M2 part. Listen to Matteo Casserino and his guitarist Gino di Michele. If you have a copy of "Musica dai Saloni" listen to the Sicilian guitarist on Speranze Perdute, and then listen to Casserino recording. Identical. If we embroider the beauty of the guitar line too much, we might destroy the integrity of the piece itself. I'm not saying no one should experiment in the guitar score but in its simplicity is the beauty of ballo liscio.

Ok, so here goes. I've never used the reply with quote.
    Many mandolinists who composed were also guitarists. Their chordal choices are crucial to the harmonic design and while we may characterize the simple chord structure as functional (which of course they are), I feel that this style of playing is inherent and best exemplifies the ballo liscio style. Whether you heard a piece in NY, SF, or in Messina or Siracusa, the guitarists played it as written. There is no doubt in mind that the guitar part was just as thoughtfully composed as the melodic phrasing of the M1 part or the harmonic flavor of an M2 part. Listen to Matteo Casserino and his guitarist Gino di Michele. If you have a copy of "Musica dai Saloni" listen to the Sicilian guitarist on Speranze Perdute, and then listen to Casserino recording. Identical. If we embroider the beauty of the guitar line too much, we might destroy the integrity of the piece itself. I'm not saying no one should experiment in the guitar score but in its simplicity is the beauty of ballo liscio.
    I sort of disagree - most of the guitar parts were extremely simplistic compared to the writing for the other 2 instruments. Almsot painfully so as a guitarist.

Now as you say this may have been a deliberate choice on the part of the writer/arrangers, but I honestly prefer to have some of the melodic activity happen in the guitar part rather than being the very straightforward basic bass note - chord rhythm parts with very basic chord voicings that they are.

I've heard some of these tunes played with more adventurous guitar parts, particularly moving bass lines, and if tastefully done I think they add to the music.

Of course if you are trying to do a letter-perfect performance in the old style, you may want to read the charts down as they are, but I think a bit of revising of some of the guitar parts would be useful. I also think a version that incorporates the 2nd mandolin and guitar, making the trios playable as a mandolin/guitar duet, would also be useful.

Out of the 630+ titles so far uploaded, perhaps only a handful are great compositions but there are dozens worthy of the time to record for posterity. I list about 50 titles that might reside in the exceptional/outstanding definition and urge everyone on Mando Cafe to record one title with friends and post it here. I couldn't be happier than to hear those performed.

Thank you Martin!

Amor di Bimba - mazurka
    Adriana polka
    Amore! - waltz
    Angel's Dream thank you Martin for recording this one.
    Baldoria - polka
    Bella - mazurka
    La Bella Bruna - polka
    Bizzosa polka
    Brilliant Waves - waltz
    Buenos Ayres - tango
    Calabrisella - polka
    Che Ridere --many have recorded this one.
    Deliziosa - mazurka
    Dolce Aprile - mazurka
    La Dolce Cristina - waltz
    Dolores - Spanish Valse
    Elvira --several arrangements. everyone played this.
    Fior d'Aprile-waltz
    Fior d'Aprile-waltz
    Gentile Pensiero
    Gigetta - polka
    Gloria d'un Poeta - march
    Il Bacio
    Il Golfo Incantato - waltz
    Malicious - polka
    Margaret - polka
    Marietta polka
    Michael - waltz
    My Love - tango
    La Napoletana - mazurka
    Notte d'estate - mazurka
    Notte a Palermo waltz
    Occhi celesti - mazurka
    Paradiso - waltz
    Parigina - polka
    Pioggia di Rose - mazurka
    Pioggia di Stelle - polka
    Saltarellando - polka
    Sei tu! - polka
    Sei Tutta Mia - polka
    Serenade I - waltz
    Sicilianella - polka
    La Spagnola - waltz
    Sparkling Eyes - tango
    Stella - mazurka
    Telefono - waltz
    Tesoro Mio - waltz
    Tra veglia e sonno - mazurka
    Under the Double Eagle - marcia
    Valentine - mazurka
    Vita Palermitana - waltz
    You picked what think are mostly the best tunes too, great list!

"perhaps only a handful are great compositions"

That could be said about any genre, even Classical music.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    I sort of disagree - most of the guitar parts were extremely simplistic compared to the writing for the other 2 instruments.
    Absolutely agree with you. And I totally welcome transferring the melody to guitar and even some embellishments for the sake, if nothing else, of the artistry of the musician. What I tend to discourage is the inappropriate ornamentation that gets in the way of the melodic line & phrasing or the harmonic altering to suit today's aural palette. Does that make sense? I'm repulsed by most Nakano editions (in particular) having played them, and I'm not at all a happy camper with much of the European (mainly French) arrangements I've seen.
    P.S. isn't it great that we have a forum in which to evaluate and consider these things? I'm just thrilled that the conversation has expanded to the aesthetics of this music. Thank you~

8. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

What I tend to discourage is the inappropriate ornamentation that gets in the way of the melodic line & phrasing or the harmonic altering to suit today's aural palette. Does that make sense? I'm repulsed by most Nakano editions (in particular) having played them, and I'm not at all a happy camper with much of the European (mainly French) arrangements I've seen.
    P.S. isn't it great that we have a forum in which to evaluate and consider these things? I'm just thrilled that the conversation has expanded to the aesthetics of this music. Thank you~
    Yes, that makes sense and is what I meant by "tastefully done"; frankly I was unaware of other arrangement that did over-embellish the guitar parts like the Nakano and French editions you mention. I'd love to see the various versions of the charts and compare.

I'm not really an expert - I am just another Sicilian-American kid that tried to play the music I heard in my family and such, and then wound up playing Italian mandolin, but I really am self taught on the instrument (but am trained in music). I've heard a lot, but haven't lived in Italy - or Little Italy - but I love the music.

Frankly I'm here to learn more, although I have some pretty strong opinions myself. Like you I love discussing the aesthetics of the style.

I am happy that you've done so much to further the music.

10. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Dear Mando Readers:
    Just how many Apple fixes have you downloaded? well, I'm sure I've had far fewer with this thread! So, here's the latest, most accurate spreadsheet. There were those minor bugs! And while I have your attention, and the dog days of summer approach, I'm getting ready for a new upload of titles. A fortuitous encounter has enabled me to offer even more new titles to complete this archive. I'm sure some of you donate to the forgotten felines, well, this is a rescue project to save the forgotten sheet music but no donation is necessary or even wanted. It's for posterity and out of respect for this tradition. I can't wait to share the new stuff. Stay tuned!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_7.24.15_update_5PM.pdf  

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

6 new titles uploaded to Cardilli: Al Chiaro (trio); Speranze e lusinghe (trio); Primo Bacio (trio) Il Primo Amore (M1&G); Nostri Amici (trio) & Alma Languente (trio)
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b2jz8my27...RDzxLaKVa?dl=0
    1 new title uploaded to Grauso: Marcia Reale alla casa di Savoie (piano only)

Index updated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_7.26.15_update_8PM.pdf  

14. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

I've got some great mazurkas added from G. Leone & a more obscure NY music store, Mongillo. He called his music store & publishing company a "library circulating". That phrase even appears on his sheet music. Rudy Cipolla called his bookstore a circulating library as well. Interesting connection. Rudy 'rented' his books for about 5-10 cents a day. So I'm wondering if that's what Mongillo did. In any event, he shared with the world and it was a convenience to be able to walk into his shop on Mulberry, in the heart of the biggest Little Italy, and pick up a new gloriously beautiful mazurka!

I'm going out on a limb here but I must say that these are not 'tunes'; they are beautifully crafted melodic arcs that are supported by equally kaleidoscopic harmonies. I only say that because this week I found several Century publications**--all just lifeless and without any merit as far as I can see. I'm afraid that I could not bring myself to upload these ephemeral Century Collection pieces into the Italian Drop Box. I can make them available (email me in my private mailbox and I'll email the PDFs) but they can't reside next to the Italian composers. Does that sound like I'm a little prejudiced? So be it.
    What's added in the MISCELLANEOUS FOLDER: Il Canto del Cardellino; La Regina della Danza; Sinceritá; and Trento a Trieste. All mazurkas except the last. Updated Index.
    here's the link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/co16hc6i5...3y9iXmSla?dl=0

here are the Century titles--unfortunately, I only have M1 parts and they lack chords or notations; all written in 1903 and as I said mostly uninspired.
    Orange Blossoms
    Loin du Bal (actually this one isn't bad, Gillet was conservatory trained--quite famous)
    Hoola Hoola
    The Century March
    Flower of the Flock
    La Patricia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_7.28.15_update_8PM.pdf  

16. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

I've got some great mazurkas added from G. Leone & a more obscure NY music store, Mongillo. He called his music store & publishing company a "library circulating". That phrase even appears on his sheet music. Rudy Cipolla called his bookstore a circulating library as well. Interesting connection. Rudy 'rented' his books for about 5-10 cents a day. So I'm wondering if that's what Mongillo did. In any event, he shared with the world and it was a convenience to be able to walk into his shop on Mulberry, in the heart of the biggest Little Italy, and pick up a new gloriously beautiful mazurka!

I'm going out on a limb here but I must say that these are not 'tunes'; they are beautifully crafted melodic arcs that are supported by equally kaleidoscopic harmonies.
    Thanks for those, Sheri. I've had a quick sightread of "Sinceritŕ" yesterday and liked it a lot. Fairly straightforward to play (at least at my pedestrian speed), if a bit eccentrically notated, and a nice airy melody. I have family visiting this weekend, but if I get around to it I may try a recording.

Martin

18. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Eight (8) new complete trios published and arranged by Tesio--all uploaded to the Tesio link. For all you Fiat lovers, there's even one dedicated to the famous Fiat race driver Ralph de Palma, aptly titled "Fiat"--it's a polka! Now there's one I'd like to hear up to speed, please!!

UPDATED INDEX with NEW TITLES! attached below

Two Tesio folder links should be working--just in case:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ge77nkdb8...7XP6wylRa?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/home/Pietro_Tesio_PDFs

Fiat
    Giulietta
    Italia
    Rododendro
    Rondinella
    Triumphant march
    Unione Sportiva Italiana
    Violetta
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_8.2.15_update_12PM.pdf  

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

more Tesio published titles uploaded and indexed: complete Trios and more on the way.

Elena polka
    Jennie polka
    Voi e Me march two-step

uploaded NEW titles to TESIO:
    La Sirena (composed by O di Bella's brother Agostino) 1905--about eight years before di Bella opened his store/publishing co.
    Nuovo Italia a march by G.M. Messina, a fairly prolific composer in Tesio's stable. 1915
    Panama by M. Pellacani. 1913 (probably to celebrate the impending opening of the canal in August 1914). Pellacani came from an extraordinary family of 4 brothers who all composed/performed. Is there a Spanish flavor in this one? Play it and find out! He titled it an Intermezzo to distinguish it.
    Ultimo Ricordo (added the Guitar part) by Tentarelli 1906.

just a note: the Triumphant march was written by Ferdinando Francia who was a major composer/performer in Queen Margherita's circolo in Florence. It was a hotbed for Bellenghi, Munier and others.

24. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

morgan 

6 NEW TITLES in Miscellaneous folder:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/co16hc6i5...3y9iXmSla?dl=0

Some familiar names like Bolognese and Gioé but now published under the Pennino imprimatur for the most part.
    They appear to be more 'solo' virtuosic pieces than the usual fare--only M1. No chords or guitar parts.

Linguaggio Amoroso --Bolognese
    Prediletta - Montano
    Quadriglia Napoletana --Pennino
    Notte d'Aprile -- Bolognese
    L'incantevole -- Gioč
    Tutti in Festa -- Gioč

I have a large Francesco Pennino canzone collection and for the large part, he re-copyrighted titles through the early fifties. Yes, it's Francis Coppola's maternal grandfather. Since some of you have asked how does she get all this stuff...well...lots of ways including my curiosity and sincere desire to save the Italian culture! I ask people to share it when I'm out and about. When sheet music floats my way, I always go to the Library of Congress and trace the title to see what's happened to it. Did anyone renew the copyright? Did a publisher go out of business? Did they change the title or modify it in some way? Was it arranged? Did it get bought up by another publisher? Did a different composer try to take credit? (These questions must be pursued for answers!) I only post what I sincerely feel remains in the public domain. This is a technical category that protects the research scholar and allows individuals to make public. I hope it reaches you wherever you are and that you enjoy the beauty that this music brought to the listeners and performers 100 years ago!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Just uploaded the latest Index as ATTACHED here--takes in all that was accomplished this week and additional corrections. This is an endless task trying to catch stuff. Excel spreadsheets are wonderful but they are fussy little things!

and here are the new TESIO titles that were just uploaded into that folder.
    Addelina maz
    Capriciosella polka
    Non ti Scordar polka
    Zenobia march-two-step (ah that heroic Egyptian Queen!!! who can take her on?)
    Speranze Perdute (mis-titled/translated?) as Last Hope and with what appears to be the wrong composer) by E. Ricci. M2 only. It is attributed to Morelli.
    I wish I understood why these things happened back then. I'm open to any and all theories. How could a publisher misidentify one of the most famous compositions in ballo liscio history and get the composer wrong? Unless... Comments please.

That may be it for Tesio for now. On to the next!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_8.7.15_update_9AM.pdf  

well, you'll have to visit the Library of Congress as they don't allow download transfers, or at least that's how I understand their access rules. www.loc.gov.jukebox will get you to the recordings.
    La Scintillante by F. della Rosa. harp guitar, accordion and clarinet.
    1917 recording on Victor label. This sheet music is in the Cardilli collection and is a complete Trio. a schottische (polka)

Did you know that the Library of Congress has a Jukebox? You can listen to quite a few of these authentic renderings. Some even have the composers performing in the various groups. The trick is to not enter too much information and sometimes the titles are different. For example, Silvestri's famous Serenade d'autrefois (Olden Times Serenata) is under Serenata. sometimes it's easier to just enter the composer's cognomen--again careful of spellings. They can be tricky! Have a great weekend!

A. Gilardenghi --spelling used on the label! LOL!
    A. Ghilardenghi
    A. Girlardenghi

Prediletta - Montano

this one is in the jukebox. a 1923 recording titled "Favorito" with a fairly large ensemble.

http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/recordings/detail/id/6265

here's Christopher Columbus march--also in Drop Box. BTW, you can share links but you can't download the file...you can only stream it on line to listen to it. I'll try to put together a links where a couple dozen of my favorites can be heard back to back!
    Last edited by Mandophile; Aug-07-2015 at 4:00pm.

Browse All Recordings | La scintillante, Take 2 (1917-03-09) | National Jukebox LOC.gov
    Browse All Recordings | Commemorazione di Cristoforo Colombo marcia, Take 2 (1912-01-24) | National Jukebox LOC.gov
    Browse All Recordings | Trento e trieste, Take 1 (1916-07-10) | National Jukebox LOC.gov
    Artists | Flaminio Pignoloni | National Jukebox LOC.gov
    Browse All Recordings | Risveglio patriottico, Take 1 (1916-07-10) | National Jukebox LOC.gov
    Artists | Frank D Meo | National Jukebox LOC.gov
    Browse All Recordings | Tra veglia e sonno, Take 4 (1923-03-09) | National Jukebox LOC.gov
    Artists | E. Richieda | National Jukebox LOC.gov
    Browse All Recordings | Giuseppina, Take 1 (1924-07-16) | National Jukebox LOC.gov
    Browse All Recordings | Marcia reale, Take 3 (1918-12-13) | National Jukebox LOC.gov
    Artists | Francesco Di Leo | National Jukebox LOC.gov
    Artists | G. Grossi | National Jukebox LOC.gov
    Artists | Paul Bolognese | National Jukebox LOC.gov
    Artists | Andrea Gilardenghi | National Jukebox LOC.gov

They aren't hyperlinked but you can paste each into your browser so you can at least get your started.

Uploaded 2 NEW Tesio titles:
    The Pony Express (polka) 1921
    La Tempesta (march) 1928
    1 NEW Pagani title: Garibaldi a Marsala (mazurka)
    Just a comment about the Pony Express: Italians continued to be fascinated with the Wild West...even Puccini composed an opera about a gold mining town in California. Although the Pony Express was short-lived and long gone, Hollywood premiered a film about the Pony Express in 1925. Perhaps it was inspiration for this polka?
    I've also posted a marching brass band arrangement of Trento a Trieste; it resides in the Band & Bb clarinet folder. It's a fascinating glimpse back to those Sousa-style arrangements with a full complement of instruments, using some now fairly extinct instruments--like Db piccolo & Bombardino!!

need to correct the date on the Pony Express polka: it predates the movie, and it was actually published in 1918. Damn those Roman numerals. Still, it does make the point that what with Puccini's opera in 1910, everyone wanted to be a cowboy! :-)

33. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

NEW TITLES UPLOADED:
    Ballerine Piemontesi (polka) Tesio
    Menelick African Ragtime (Tesio)
    Rigoletto (Tesio) Arr. Baravalle
    Il Trovatore (Arr Emilio Calamara) MISC
    A Frangesa (march) MISC

I have the pleasure of announcing several new titles, from Cardilli and from our Miscellaneous publishers like Catalano, National Book Co., and Schettino. Believe me, they are not miscellaneous because they are inferior in any way. In fact, they used the finest arrangers like Emilio Calamara and Joseph Gioč among others. Almost everything is a compete trio but Calamara arranges for M1 and G only.

Catalano (Miscellaneous)
    Amicizia (a gorgeous mandolin solo) by Canoro published by Catalano
    Cardilli:
    Genova Ridente march (another arrangement)
    Giovinezza polka (this is not the Fascist march by Blanc) but it certainly is a politically hot title to attach to a polka--1917). NY was teeming with Fascist Italians. In San Francisco, too. A mythic rumor among accordionists that I've heard over the years...an accordionist was arrested for playing the Fascist song in a North Beach bar during the 30s when Mussolini and his party were recruiting etc.
    Histoire d'un Pierrot
    La Gran Via (we've got this under several publishers) it's the mazurka, not the waltz
    La Sorella
    National Music Co. (out of Chicago--Calamari arranger)
    Operas: Verdit's Faust & Meyerbeer's Huguenots (TRIOS)
    Schettino
    Dimentica le lagrime che ho versato (M1 solo) There appears to be some cues for M2 but I don't have that part. sorry.

Take a look at the beautiful, exquisite art nouveau title pages for Cardilli. a work of art worthy of a museum. The artist name appears on the title page, too.

Attached updated Index with new titles. We are so fortunate to still have these all now accessible. I hope to share the process that it has taken to revive the sheet music. When the photographic process is documented, I will post in a Drop Box so you can understand the step-by-step loving care that's been given to these buried treasures.

Well, the Cotati accordion festival is this weekend and I go into a black hole for 3 days. See you next time. anyone coming out for it? I'd love to see/meet you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_8.18.15_update_9AM.pdf  

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Could you post the link again please? I'm not sure where to start for the new stuff.

Thanks!