Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet music.

Default Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    A continuing thanks to you, Sheri!!

Interesting that Grauso has Speranze Perdute but attributes it to P. Bolognese instead of A. Morelli. Same tune but slightly different arrangement.
    It's also interesting to compare these American editions of the tune with Morelli's own edition published in Paris and available for free download (first mando only) from Michael Reichenbach's Mandoisland site. There are quite a few differences, the most obvious being the introduction in 6/8 time labelled "movimento di barcarola" which if nothing else suggest quite a slow tempo rather than the breakneck speed with which the waltz is often played by accordionists. The other annotations ("con dolcezza", "sentimentale" and "con dolore") also suggest a rather slower tune.

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Morelli Speranze Perdute.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	267.2 KB 
ID:	123369  

2. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Thanks so much, Sheri. I miss your accordion playing at Caffe Trieste in SF.

Magistrale - La Bottega del Mandolino

4. The following members say thank you to Rick Schneider for this post:

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

...I like this...to give context...Speranze has been the traditional bride and groom debut dance at Italian weddings as husband and wife...and since accordionists tended to front the band, too, well, it is at a faster dance tempo ( qtr note = 110+) than the slow waltz, thus ignoring the sweetness of a slower waltz. Blame it on the accordionist! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    ...I like this...to give context...Speranze has been the traditional bride and groom debut dance at Italian weddings as husband and wife...and since accordionists tended to front the band, too, well, it is at a faster dance tempo ( qtr note = 110+) than the slow waltz, thus ignoring the sweetness of a slower waltz. Blame it on the accordionist! LOL!
    No slight on you intended, Sheri, or on other sensible accordionists. 110bpm is perfectly OK for the tune, as is indeed the 132bpm you have notated in your book. That's the tempo I'm playing it at. I was more thinking of accordionists like this -- which sounds fine and not too hurried on accordion, but is really quite fast indeed once you try to play along:

Some mandolinists try matching that, but to my taste that's definitely too fast:

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    ...I like this...to give context...Speranze has been the traditional bride and groom debut dance at Italian weddings as husband and wife.
    Hmmmm... does the married couple usually know of the title to that tune? "Lost Hope" seems like a very pessimistic tune to kick off a marriage tho it is a beautiful tune.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Thinking laterally; maybe it's the other suitors who must give up hope?
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

it all depends on how much wine the accordionist has imbibed! I like to play it fast! the groom can catch the bride if it goes out of control! it is a kind of joke waltz played on the bachelors left standing??

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    Thinking laterally; maybe it's the other suitors who must give up hope?
    Ha! Beanzy, that is what I always 'hoped' was behind the tradition.

Martin, I agree with your assessment on the bpm on your video example (love the accordion stand...) relative to playing on the mandolin but from a dancing point of view, that is nothing but a fun speed to waltz to. Tiring, yes, but really fun.

I still love the tempo of the Mazurka del Medioveo horn version you turned me onto years ago--remember?

I play SP slower as well as I enjoy the contrasting tremolo parts with the quick runs. What a great tune!

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Here are the Grauso tunes compiled into one document:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ofjrur5twl...-3-14.pdf?dl=0

More great stuff!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morgan For This Useful Post:

I've got 57 titles from the publisher O. Pagani; they're revving their engines as I enter them into Excel spreadsheets and convert to PDFs. Stay tuned as more great classic ballo liscio titles are coming to your neighborhood! Quite a few Santi Tafarella, G. Tarantola, and a couple Becucci; I know Martin Jonas enjoys playing Tafarella; plus more Silvestri, delle Rosa. There's a fantastic arrangement of the William Tell pieces from Rossini--all beautifully woven together. Many of these titles are complete Trios. Aren't we lucky?
    just in passing, I wanted to acknowledge Rudy Cipolla's birthday on Sunday, he would have been 114. A Chinese fortune cookie told him he would live to be 114; he didn't but his music is still being played. Happy Birthday Rudy.

Thanks, Sheri! I look forward to the music. What a great thing you are doing for the mandolin community (and music community in general.)

Thanks as well for helping to keep Rudy C on the collective radar screens.

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rudy_home.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	124151  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

The Rudy archive has not been coming along as fast as I would want. Bob Bruen got swamped, and so too myself. I'm hoping we can get back on track as it is my goal to put everything out there that Rudy ever wrote. Part of the daunting task for Rudymusic has always been his 'personalized' arrangements. Distinguishing parts that belong to a distinct, discrete arrangement has been a big problem. He wrote specifically for groups and/or individuals. so there are lots of versions. But I suspect that Bob and I will get that done. I've been a little too preoccupied with the other stuff as the opportunity to save the disintegrating c.1900 music took precedence over the more manageable (and in a bit better condition) Rudymusic!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fxtdxipdj...1OL86Xj8a?dl=0

Just in case new visitors are discovering the Drop Box, here is a link to all the combined (and RECENTLY UPDATED-9.23.14) Index files for Publishers and by Titles. There are close to 600 titles now.

As soon as I can get my upload done, I will be posting a link to two more folders: the NEW PAGANI (just added--about 71 titles)
    and the original PAGANI folder which will now contain ALL (completed) PAGANI.

So, those who have already downloaded the first (original) Pagani titles will not have to return to that folder, but can just download the NEW PAGANI folder.

Heads up! Phew!

17. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Here's the link to the NEW titles added to Pagani. This should complete the mandolin trios from Pagani.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/407gxhoac...9FGwCEf6a?dl=0

Please download the new, updated COMBINED INDEX files also dated 9.23.14. That way you can see the entire collection by publisher and by title. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fxtdxipdj...1OL86Xj8a?dl=0

The link below is for the COMPLETE Pagani titles (the old titles with the new ones added today)
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rec0ru50d...AsSWNCT1a?dl=0
    Last edited by Mandophile; Sep-23-2014 at 10:36pm.

19. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

These titles are new to the Drop Box as I keep finding things that I've forgotten I had!! Both titles are from the di Bella collection: Marsala Mia (M1 & M2) w chords and Margaret polka M1 w chords. Marsala Mia is a delightful mazurka. O di Bella named the polka for his daughter who born in 1936.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6v7xfftvf...67_YzZ_ga?dl=0

21. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Default Serenata Napoletana (F. Della Rosa)

Thanks for the Pagani update, Sheri! I've played many of these tunes for some years, when Jim Garber kindly sent me a stack of Pagani scans, but your new ones are better image quality. I posted my recordings of a number of Pagani waltzes a few months ago (Link). These were all written by Santi Tafarella and all also included in your new Dropbox uploads.

Your new upload reminded me of another of the Pagani tunes, this one by F. Della Rosa and titled "Serenata Napoletana". It's a nice delicate tune which we've had in our group's repertoire folder for a number of years now although we only give it a runthrough once or twice a year. Memory jogged, we played it at our rehearsal this week and I've just recorded it at home today, adding a mandocello part to the three Pagani parts:

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin

Hi Everyone: here's what's new as of 9.28.14

I've added 11 new titles to the MISCELLANEOUS folder; some are from the early 1890s.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vqkcf8ygx...JIMpOTxFa?dl=0

I've consolidated the NEW Pagani folder into the original Pagani A-Z folder. the new stuff (added in late August) remains in a separate folder. I'm trying to avoid duplication and save space in Drop Box.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sgsjhdsba...34mCfoIIa?dl=0

I've added the G. Leone music catalog listings. if you haven't seen these catalog listings, I think you might take a look at the folder if for no other reason than to see the scope of this project and appreciate the beauty of the artwork.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g2slmtau8...8U_0uC-Ba?dl=0

I've also been gleaning my files/reserves and while some of you have my MM book, I still have titles with M2 parts that were not included in my book, so I've uploaded these originals: M2 parts from di Bella: Marsala Mia, La Napoletana et. al.

Again, it is our hope that in time more pieces will emerge to complete the Trios that lack a part.

We have very nearly achieved a total of 600 titles. An amazing number of melodies! and kudos to Martin Jonas for recording these as we have gone along. Thank you for keeping the spirit of this music alive and well. Sheri~

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

we play once a month. please come on Oct. 18th and add your sparkling strummin' and pluckin'!

Here is the dropbox link for all of the tunes referenced in Sheri's Sept 23 and Sept 24 posts from above, compiled into one document

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5z1tyugq9...duced.pdf?dl=0
    Cedwyn Morgan

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to morgan For This Useful Post:

Sheri, This link from from the 9/28 post appears to be dead

"I've added 11 new titles to the MISCELLANEOUS folder; some are from the early 1890s.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vqkcf8ygx...JIMpOTxFa?dl=0"

29. The following members say thank you to morgan for this post:

Oh dear! it may be due to consolidation. I apologize for the inconvenience.
    I'm posting links here for the MISCELLANEOUS folder. This is a collection of lesser known publishers and predecessors to the big wave of Italian composers comping over a decade later. Please let me know if there is any trouble with this link.

MISCELLANEOUS
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/co16hc6i5...3y9iXmSla?dl=0

INDEXES: updated--nearly 600 titles (18 pp landscape excel spreadsheets by title and by publisher)
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fxtdxipdj...1OL86Xj8a?dl=0

31. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Default Re: Serenata Napoletana (F. Della Rosa)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    Your new upload reminded me of another of the Pagani tunes, this one by F. Della Rosa and titled "Serenata Napoletana". It's a nice delicate tune which we've had in our group's repertoire folder for a number of years now although we only give it a runthrough once or twice a year. Memory jogged, we played it at our rehearsal this week and I've just recorded it at home today, adding a mandocello part to the three Pagani parts:

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
    I love these waltzes you've been putting together, broseph. Keep them coming...

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

33. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

I've looked for the 2nd mandolin part for Margaret's Polka, but found none.
    Does anyone have this part?
    Thanks
    Bill Foley

Quote Originally Posted by wundo View Post
    I've looked for the 2nd mandolin part for Margaret's Polka, but found none.
    Does anyone have this part?
    I assume that you are looking thru Sheri's files? The only one I see is called Margaretella Polka and there is only M1 + chords. Is that the one you mean?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It hasn't shown up as yet. But it's great to put it out there. I know Martin Jonas would like to see it. It may still show up as there are more archives to be investigated. It's a great polka and would be even better with a Mando 2! and a guitar!