Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet music.

Default Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

Mille Grazie!!!-- for this latest find and musical gem you are sharing with us ! I can't stress enough the importance of downloading the new links and the various publishers dropboxes to one's personal devices--to share with ithers and keep thr tradition alive !
    Just 2 weekends ago, I was at an Italian party held in a restaurant here in downtown Philly where a group of musicians from the Abruzzi region were there playing the Zampogna, a guitar and 2 cane flutes ! I was shocked when they started playing the Camporeale -Schottische--(by ear no less and very well for not ever having the actual sheetmusic of this rare Sicilian/Scottish hybrid dance) of Maestro G. Tarantola published by O.Pagani in NYC in 1919.
    They did not have the music for it they told me-and only knew its name and were not sure of the composer. I immediately pulled out my cellphone and pulled up the entire O. Pagani dropbox collection and queued up the complete "Camporeale" Trio. I also directed them to the Audio file where a vintage recording of it also resides.---
    They were ecstatic and one musician swiftly headed down the icy street to Kinkos to print it out to bring back to Italy along with many other long lost pieces they had been searching for !
    They had no idea that it was actually composed and published here in the US !
    Its always a joy--when someone finally is able to obtain one of these rare and long lost pieces--that they have searching for years.
    In the case of Messina's Rondinella--it was hiding out in Italy all these years--and not in some cold dark basement in Manhattan as has been the case with so much of this beloved music.
    Glad to know that some of our pieces published here did make the passage to Italia at some point !
    Normanno Giorno-Calapristi --(Germantown) -Philadelphia PA.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Musicapralis704 For This Useful Post:

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9zhxeekpy...Zb9lDzWUa?dl=0

Just added a new polka "Marsicovetere Polka in Festa" composed by De Stefano in honor of his birthplace; it is arranged by his brother-in-law Basil Milano, and performed by Norman Giorno Calapristi (G) and Joe Grosso (M1). Transcription from Norman's grandfather Luigi Giorno which I inserted into a readable PDF. Have fun!
    New index is also in the above folder " Vintage Italian Audio recordings"

The PDF is housed in the De Stefano folder. You should find that link in a previous post.

I was unable to upload the manuscript. will try later. nice photo of the town attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marsicovetere-1024x654.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	183847  
    Last edited by Mandophile; Feb-26-2020 at 10:03pm.

4. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

The big music names in Italian immigrant music history! Joseph Gioč, Giuseppe Tarantola and Alessandra Sisca! I just uploaded the sheet music, dedicated to and named for "Cordiferro." It's a polka-schottische featuring the Scottish snap. The link below takes you to Tarantola (with the Sei Mafiusi) offering his magnificent interpretation through his unmistakable full-throated clarinet.

"Cordiferro" is housed in the MISCELLANEOUS folder as it was published by Catalano.

Cordiferro was Alessandro Sisca's pseudonym. He and his brother ran a radical newspaper "Folia" and Sisca was a Neapolitan poet whose lyrics graced the sheet music that Enrico Caruso made famous in America. "Cor 'ngrato" stands at the apex of Neapolitan music shaped by the poetry of Italian immigrants such as Sisca.

Gioč sent the sheet music to Luigi Giorno's home in Germantown, Philadelphia. Giorno played not only mandolin but clarinet and saxophone in the dance ensembles he conducted. Often, the composers inscribed their sheet music with an affectionate greeting. The first mandolin part is all that survived--more than 100 years later.

https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.p...743-Cordiferro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_03.26.2020_4P.pdf  

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    "Cor 'ngrato" stands at the apex of Neapolitan music shaped by the poetry of Italian immigrants such as Sisca....
    From Wiki.it

Un posto a parte merita la celeberrima Core 'ngrato, musicata da Salvatore Cardillo e pietra miliare della canzone napoletana. Questa potente lirica, struggente ed emozionante, č stata interpretata da moltissimi tenori di successo quali Enrico Caruso, Luciano Pavarotti, Plácido Domingo e José Carreras.

That's what I know. Add: fisarmonica players everywhere.

Saddest song ever. Through melody and lyrics. By a considerable margin.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

8. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp5j02f_AIk

"Cor 'ngrato" the most heart-wrenching passionate Neapolitan canzone. Yours truly and my tenor Michael Van Why

10. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Italian Vintage Audio folder has added a new video of a Palermo band marching during the Santa Rosalia festival (mid-July). She is invoked during times of plague and pestilence. Let's hope she performs her responsibilities during this acute period.
    The LINK is at the end of this post.

Here's a synopsis of the how the video came about--direct from Norman Giorno Calapristi:

Sheri--Here is a short clip of a band in Palermo ( in the old Kalsa district)-- playing part--of a beautiful typical melodious Canoro March--- "Italia Mia"---that he composed for processional band back in the early 40s--nobody here wanted to publish it by that time with that title for fear of being accused of Fascist "pro-Italy"-- leanings.....not even Di Bella or Pagani---and he tried!

So--he gave it out in manuscript form to bandleaders here and there in NY and Philly and I'm so glad he did. I have bits and pieces of it (only about 5 or 6 tattered instruments parts are left)--

When I went to Palermo in 1991.I gave it to my cousin Gilda who played in this band then, who then who gave it to the bandleader who created the missing instruments parts from the Conductors Bflat Cornet part only.----I think they did a good job on this final part--"The Trio finale"--which they all vocalize for a few bars before picking up the melody again with the instruments to the end of the march.

Someone in NY wrote some very "pro Italy pro Savoia"- lyrics to this part which they still do not dare---- sing out loud anymore--but the people "in the know "---still know why they sing this section before playing it again. My young cousin Orlando (the young man playing the snare drum wearing the dark sunglasses behind the French horn player)-you can see towards the back of the band. His mother Gilda took the video of the band and her son, this last July at the feast of Santa Rosalia held in Palermo each July. Even crazy Palermo is a ghost town now----......they are all going crazy there--they are not indoor people ! She sent me a copy of this yesterday---at this sad time for Italy to make me recall a happier time there.

Santa Rosalia statue is in the front of the procession-- Ironically, she is invoked for protection against plagues and in times of epidemics in Sicily. This band and the people in this old neighborhood of Palermo are still very pro Savoia and monarchist. You can still see the Savoia shield and gold crowns in the hats of each one of these musicians that they wear proudly.

It will be a very long time before they again see processions and marching bands like these going thru the ancient streets of Italy again....if ever--they better treasure these memories......for now. Norman G-C

Band performing from Luigi Canoro's "Italia Mia" march. NEW INDEX of vintage recordings is in the folder. Anyone can download this folder of recordings.

12. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

The video is identified as "Festa di Santa Rosalia -- Palermo Processione" MP4 video

Warm greetings
    I'm pleased to announce some additions to the Dropbox. Alessandro Morelli's "Speranze Perdute" is arguably one of the most beloved waltzes in the ballo liscio dance tradition and it has been a popular encore on the concert stage. Complete mandolin trios have been added to each of these publishers' folders: P. Tesio; M.V. Cardilli; O. Di Bella; O. Pagani and A. Paolilli. (In addition, Canoro's "La Bellissima" (only M1) uploaded to Paolilli folder.
    As long as you've saved the designated links to each folder in your browser, you should have no difficulty finding and downloading the new title. Each publisher presents various arrangements although some have been cribbed from early versions. I won't go into any detailed analysis here but my latest historical study will be announced soon. It covers the earliest (c. 1898) European publications of Morelli's waltz, covering more than 13 different versions & concluding in 1960 with two accordion arrangements. Once the paper is posted, you'll have access to all the sheet music in an appendix that follows the body of the paper. Stay tuned! Lots of fun coming your way! Thank you and Stay Safe, Sheri
    p.s. Index updated as attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_05.9.2020_2P.pdf  

15. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Added 4 audio files to the Italian Vintage Audio recordings folder.

Index is updated. What you'll find: really old metal disc recordings taken from the 1930s, radio broadcast performances, recordings made at Italian funerals, classic recordings of the ballo liscio dances and some Giovanni Vicari recordings as well. Two of the titles were composed by the "Mozart of Chess" Frank C.A. Milano (De Stefano catalog). A life cut short but he maximized his potential. (See my Heroes book for details--he is in the De Stefano chapter). Hope you enjoy these recordings. Feel free to download everything!

new titles (3 from the De Stefano archives) added to the Index:
    Alba di Vittoria (Cardilli catalog)
    Philadelphia Forever
    L'Eco Dell' Oriente
    Il Canto Dell'Allodola
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Italian_Audio_Vintage_Recordings_Index-6.6.2020.pdf  

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tok6c2x0i...cPHH7Qj7a?dl=0

Please visit my new Dropbox folder: Alessandro Morelli: A Monograph of his famous waltz "Speranze Perdute".

The PDF (95 pages) is divided into two parts: the biography of Signore Morelli, and the second part is a collection of various editions of his waltz spanning about 100 years. There are 17 different versions, most are mandolin trios, or lead sheet for mandolin or accordion. You'll find Tesio, Grauso, Di Bella, Pagani, and Paolilli versions PLUS the French and Italian sheet music that served as models for the various arrangements. There is an analysis section that lets you explore this waltz as it was published.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Hello! The pandemic has yielded new sheet music. While it seems that Little Italy stores are dumping excess inventory from empty buildings. Some of the sheet music was rescued by Victor Emmanuel and brought to life thanks to technology. Dumpster diving and giveaways provide opportunities to save the Italian immigrant culture.

I've uploaded two titles in the O. Di Bella folder:
    #60 includes a schottische "La Danza delle Belle" by the esteemed Luigi Canoro
    and it also includes his reduction of an original score of the French national anthem
    "La Marsigliese" Both these titles are complete trios.

Attached is an update Index of all the ballo liscio titles as of 10.11.2020
    If you're looking for a specific title, start here. All titles are arranged in the dropbox link according to specific publishers. You must know the publisher and download titles within each publisher's folder.

Links appear in recent posts. Sometimes they stop working so let me know if there are broken links. Thanks everyone,
    Stay safe, Sheri
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_10.11.2020_2P.pdf  

I might have told you this, Sheri. Many years ago when I still lived in New York City, a friend of mine bought out a pile of mandolin sheet music from O. Pagani on Bleecker. After the store closed He told me that they were bought out by another store IIRC in PA that mostly dealt with accordion players. I called the store which I think started with an H. They told me that they threw out all the mandolin music because they only cared about the accordion stuff. Oh well. There was also the descendant company of O. di Bella which also had a pile of their sheet music. They were in NJ but they wanted someone to pay some ridiculous price for the entire stock. I don’t know what happened to that place.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

21. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Yes, Jim. Everything you wrote is, unfortunately, true. Faith Deffner tossed out all the mandolin sheet music when Pagani closed as she was only interested in accordion sheet music.
    As far as O. di Bella's grandson, I believe Mike, Jr. has salvaged many first editions of the mandolin trio catalog but I don't believe they have a complete music catalog of the titles. the family store is in Bergenfield, NJ and for a while, it looked like they'd reissue the catalog for the centennial...alas...that never happened.

23. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Yes! Faith Deffner was who I emailed probably 15 years ago. And that was the diBella store in NJ.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

My "Italian Mandolin Heroes in America" book covers this somewhat bizarre transition when Theresa Costello (Pagani's owner in the final 40 years) negotiated a sale of the inventory before it closed in 1987. Faithe Deffner (an accordionist-journalist) and her husband Ernest made a business decision. What's left of it--not much at all) is run by a son now in northern Virginia. Tossing things in a dumpster seemed to be an expedient solution. When Zampiceni (a chapter in my book) closed in the early 70s, he tossed priceless Quattrociocche sheet music into a dumpster. Inexcusable, but we forget that recycling and taking things to a vintage store for consignment or whatever, were not in most people's consciousness. That's why it is so important that this sheet music is preserved digitally. Look at the pathetic state of the Nakano library--if only music had been scanned decades earlier, much of it would have been much more readable today.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Two titles complete and added; the first is possibly one of the earliest examples of a ballo liscio dance. LA TIPICA by Carlo Curti. arranged by Odell and published by Carl Fischer. There are much earlier publications of this polka (Mme. Calamara in Chicago, for example) This polka is housed in the MISCELLANEOUS FOLDER While the M1 part is published separately, the melodic line is cued (at a different octave) in the piano score. The left hand actually performs in both the bass and treble clef (somebody must have edited it this way thinking it was easier to read but I have my doubts; however, a guitarist might find it somewhat convenient.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/co16hc6i5...3y9iXmSla?dl=0

The second title is "La Bella di Venezia" composed and published by Philadelphia's G.B. De Stefano (in the DE STEFANO FOLDER).

attached updated Index (28pp)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_11.2.2020_10A.pdf  

28. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pxh3vxt1t...D_jlTjywa?dl=0

This link takes you to the Neapolitan Canzone and Canto folder. I've added a new title "Tammuriata Palazzola" made famous by the art song originally composed by Falvo with lyrics by Russo. These art songs always featured a mandolinist to complement the vocalist (usually male). There are several renditions of this Arabic-influenced song on YouTube. I prefer the Antonio Sorrentino recording. Maestro Luigi Canoro published his arrangement using his own company Trionfo Music Publishing in 1924.

Updated Index attached here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Neapolitan_canzone_Index_11.2.2020.pdf  
    Last edited by Mandophile; Nov-02-2020 at 7:14pm.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    .... I prefer the Antonio Sorrentino recording. Maestro Luigi Canoro published his arrangement using his own company Trionfo Music Publishing in 1924.
    A couple of versions here:

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

I just uploaded the "Tammuriata Palazzola" tarantella (Canoro arrangement). Apologies! but I only just now realized I had uploaded the updated index but forgot to upload the dance. Enjoy! (it is housed in the Neapolitan Canzone folder). A bawdy Italian vaudeville number with numerous choruses but only the first verse is included. Will try to find the rest...
    Stay Safe & Be Well, Sheri
    Sheri Mignano Crawford

https://www.zighibaci.com (books)
    https://www.eurocafemusic.com (on hiatus)
    https://academia.edu (articles, monographs, papers)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCi...FkUGI_5-XnJMoQ (YouTube)

34. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

#3 in the Di Bella music catalog "Gilda" is now complete with the missing guitar score. As always, if you tend to read chord symbols, always double check the notation as not all guitarists can be trusted to correctly convert notation to corresponding chord symbols.
    attached index is updated to acknowledge this now complete trio of "Gilda" please download.
    Stay safe & Be Well, & Feeling Thankful, Sheri
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_11.21.2020_8A.pdf  
    Sheri Mignano Crawford

A classic from Ernesto Becucci, the small orchestral arrangement represents a reduced score based on E. Carosio, a popular mandolin arranger but I don't know if that means Ermenigildo or his brother Ettore; possibly De Stefano and his brother-in-law Basil Milano collaborated and fine-tuned the instrumentation. The De Stefano store was the source for these ballroom editions so popular among Philadelphia's Chestnut Hill crowd or featured at Carpenter's Dance Hall. The Second arrangement of the waltz is by Pignoloni (Pagani publisher).

"Pioggia Di Stelle" celebrates a meteoric shower usually associated with August 10 (Notte di San Lorenzo) when the Perseids put on a spectacular celestial display. I thought it fitting to announce these two arrangements of Becucci's waltz since we are entering a strong meteoric shower of the Geminids from now until December 17 (best days for viewing are Dec. 13-14).

PDFs and INDEX are attached, and also available in the publishers' folders

DE STEFANO Mandolin trio folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i5c9sesbl...pmFWQoraa?dl=0

This link takes you to the small orchestral arrangement of Becucci's "Pioggia di Stelle."
    A mandolin quartet can easily be derived and performed from the complete string quartet, and other parts can enhance the quartet (brass, and woodwind parts etc):
    V1, V2, Viola, Cello, Bass, Clarinet in A; valved trumpet in A, Flute, Oboe, French horns in F, Trombone, and snare drum)

PAGANI link for Becucci trio of "Pioggia di Stelle":

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zvjjf66gj...ubHJo5Uoa?dl=0

This trio arrangement is by Pignoloni, the finest house composer/arranger/musician at Pagani's. Keep in mind that this arrangement is not in the original (sharp) mandolin keys, rather it is set in C F & C. In fact, Pietro Deiro's accordion solo (in the accordion folder) can accompany the mandolin trio if one ignores the introduction and other bits that Deiro added. Accordion folder link resides in another thread which I just updated today.

Season's Greetings to everyone! Looking forward to 2021! Sheri
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pioggia_di_Stelle_Trio_Pagani.pdf   Pioggia_di_Stelle_Orch_DeStefano.pdf   COMBINED_TITLES_12.05.2020_9A.pdf  

Last edited by Mandophile; Dec-05-2020 at 1:36pm.
    Sheri Mignano Crawford

37. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

here are the lyrics in both Neapolitan and Italian. Thanks, Normanno!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tammuriata-lyrics.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	405.9 KB 
ID:	190278  
    Sheri Mignano Crawford

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

It's been a while since I've posted. So much has happened! I do hope you survived and are planning for a good year. I've added a few titles and I attach an UPDATED INDEX. Download the index, roughly 25+ pages.

Di Bella folder: Elvira polka (M2) 1917 & renewed, 1941)
    Mauro Cardilli: Elvira Polka Trio (probably 1910?) NEW!! with intro, like Tesio
    Tesio (while not new--it's already in his folder) Elvira polka 1913 (intro)

ELVIRA: (No, not that one!)
    Let me explain Elvira polka, composed by Antonio Cavalieri, but due to a typewriter ribbon (?) sticking the "e" became a "c". Due to a proliferation of the surname and other typos, his identity has never been known. Believe me, I spent an enormous # of hours trying to locate this guy; after all, his polka was very popular! He was a "One title wonder" but an important title because that tells us that these publishers must have enjoyed the mutually satisfying task of stealing from each other and using "interchangeable" parts, especially Mandolin 2 parts. Some publishers disguised their 'copying' by using an introduction (thus, claiming an arrangement). If you study the evolution of this borrowing, it goes well into the mid-1950s when accordion versions/arrangements took from much earlier mandolin publications. The result shows us how a musician had to make do with these mis-measured, mistyped, and mis-copied parts. They are nearly identical when compared and that's why I've uploaded the "M2" of Elvira separately so you can see the intention as initially printed in the mandolin trio dance music.
    Buyer (and Reader) Beware!!

Something about arrangements: the Italian dance music publishers never bothered with much articulation. They left that to the musicians but the model for polkas is as follows: First & second sections were articulated in short two-measure phrases coupled with a second two-measure phrase. These notes are "staccato" or detached and usually carry a ">" accent on the final beat. The Trio or third section is always a legato (smooth) 4-measure phrase.

P.S. Mike Guggino came across these same difficulties recording "Elvira polka" in his latest Italian CD. Di Bella used an M2 Tesio part to substitute for a missing Di Bella part as that's all I had. Just figuring out the scores can make us all better musicians. Looking forward to hearing the final tracks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other titles uploaded:

Pagani folder has a Neapolitan classic, 2 operatic additions and a tango--performed as mandolin solo--not a mandolin trio (M1, M2, &G):
    Tango of the Roses (M1)
    Musica Prohibita (a late Deffner publication) solo
    Pagliacci solo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_PUBLISHERS_2.22.2021.pdf  
    Sheri Mignano Crawford

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

"....P.S. Mike Guggino came across these same difficulties recording "Elvira polka" in his latest Italian CD....."

Thanks, Sher. I look forward to this.

Here's Mike with Carlo having some great fun.
    Starts off alla moda and gets grassier and grassier as it goes along.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

I can predict that grassier will not be heard in the forthcoming Italian CD. It will, however, become more garlicky and garlicky! That's my hope!!
    Sheri Mignano Crawford