Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2021222324

Thread: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet music.

Default Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

Mille Grazie!!!-- for this latest find and musical gem you are sharing with us ! I can't stress enough the importance of downloading the new links and the various publishers dropboxes to one's personal devices--to share with ithers and keep thr tradition alive !
    Just 2 weekends ago, I was at an Italian party held in a restaurant here in downtown Philly where a group of musicians from the Abruzzi region were there playing the Zampogna, a guitar and 2 cane flutes ! I was shocked when they started playing the Camporeale -Schottische--(by ear no less and very well for not ever having the actual sheetmusic of this rare Sicilian/Scottish hybrid dance) of Maestro G. Tarantola published by O.Pagani in NYC in 1919.
    They did not have the music for it they told me-and only knew its name and were not sure of the composer. I immediately pulled out my cellphone and pulled up the entire O. Pagani dropbox collection and queued up the complete "Camporeale" Trio. I also directed them to the Audio file where a vintage recording of it also resides.---
    They were ecstatic and one musician swiftly headed down the icy street to Kinkos to print it out to bring back to Italy along with many other long lost pieces they had been searching for !
    They had no idea that it was actually composed and published here in the US !
    Its always a joy--when someone finally is able to obtain one of these rare and long lost pieces--that they have searching for years.
    In the case of Messina's Rondinella--it was hiding out in Italy all these years--and not in some cold dark basement in Manhattan as has been the case with so much of this beloved music.
    Glad to know that some of our pieces published here did make the passage to Italia at some point !
    Normanno Giorno-Calapristi --(Germantown) -Philadelphia PA.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Musicapralis704 For This Useful Post:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9zhxeekpy...Zb9lDzWUa?dl=0

Just added a new polka "Marsicovetere Polka in Festa" composed by De Stefano in honor of his birthplace; it is arranged by his brother-in-law Basil Milano, and performed by Norman Giorno Calapristi (G) and Joe Grosso (M1). Transcription from Norman's grandfather Luigi Giorno which I inserted into a readable PDF. Have fun!
    New index is also in the above folder " Vintage Italian Audio recordings"

The PDF is housed in the De Stefano folder. You should find that link in a previous post.

I was unable to upload the manuscript. will try later. nice photo of the town attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marsicovetere-1024x654.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	183847  
    Last edited by Mandophile; Feb-26-2020 at 10:03pm.

4. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

The big music names in Italian immigrant music history! Joseph Gioč, Giuseppe Tarantola and Alessandra Sisca! I just uploaded the sheet music, dedicated to and named for "Cordiferro." It's a polka-schottische featuring the Scottish snap. The link below takes you to Tarantola (with the Sei Mafiusi) offering his magnificent interpretation through his unmistakable full-throated clarinet.

"Cordiferro" is housed in the MISCELLANEOUS folder as it was published by Catalano.

Cordiferro was Alessandro Sisca's pseudonym. He and his brother ran a radical newspaper "Folia" and Sisca was a Neapolitan poet whose lyrics graced the sheet music that Enrico Caruso made famous in America. "Cor 'ngrato" stands at the apex of Neapolitan music shaped by the poetry of Italian immigrants such as Sisca.

Gioč sent the sheet music to Luigi Giorno's home in Germantown, Philadelphia. Giorno played not only mandolin but clarinet and saxophone in the dance ensembles he conducted. Often, the composers inscribed their sheet music with an affectionate greeting. The first mandolin part is all that survived--more than 100 years later.

https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.p...743-Cordiferro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_03.26.2020_4P.pdf  

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    "Cor 'ngrato" stands at the apex of Neapolitan music shaped by the poetry of Italian immigrants such as Sisca....
    From Wiki.it

Un posto a parte merita la celeberrima Core 'ngrato, musicata da Salvatore Cardillo e pietra miliare della canzone napoletana. Questa potente lirica, struggente ed emozionante, č stata interpretata da moltissimi tenori di successo quali Enrico Caruso, Luciano Pavarotti, Plácido Domingo e José Carreras.

That's what I know. Add: fisarmonica players everywhere.

Saddest song ever. Through melody and lyrics. By a considerable margin.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

8. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp5j02f_AIk

"Cor 'ngrato" the most heart-wrenching passionate Neapolitan canzone. Yours truly and my tenor Michael Van Why

10. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Italian Vintage Audio folder has added a new video of a Palermo band marching during the Santa Rosalia festival (mid-July). She is invoked during times of plague and pestilence. Let's hope she performs her responsibilities during this acute period.
    The LINK is at the end of this post.

Here's a synopsis of the how the video came about--direct from Norman Giorno Calapristi:

Sheri--Here is a short clip of a band in Palermo ( in the old Kalsa district)-- playing part--of a beautiful typical melodious Canoro March--- "Italia Mia"---that he composed for processional band back in the early 40s--nobody here wanted to publish it by that time with that title for fear of being accused of Fascist "pro-Italy"-- leanings.....not even Di Bella or Pagani---and he tried!

So--he gave it out in manuscript form to bandleaders here and there in NY and Philly and I'm so glad he did. I have bits and pieces of it (only about 5 or 6 tattered instruments parts are left)--

When I went to Palermo in 1991.I gave it to my cousin Gilda who played in this band then, who then who gave it to the bandleader who created the missing instruments parts from the Conductors Bflat Cornet part only.----I think they did a good job on this final part--"The Trio finale"--which they all vocalize for a few bars before picking up the melody again with the instruments to the end of the march.

Someone in NY wrote some very "pro Italy pro Savoia"- lyrics to this part which they still do not dare---- sing out loud anymore--but the people "in the know "---still know why they sing this section before playing it again. My young cousin Orlando (the young man playing the snare drum wearing the dark sunglasses behind the French horn player)-you can see towards the back of the band. His mother Gilda took the video of the band and her son, this last July at the feast of Santa Rosalia held in Palermo each July. Even crazy Palermo is a ghost town now----......they are all going crazy there--they are not indoor people ! She sent me a copy of this yesterday---at this sad time for Italy to make me recall a happier time there.

Santa Rosalia statue is in the front of the procession-- Ironically, she is invoked for protection against plagues and in times of epidemics in Sicily. This band and the people in this old neighborhood of Palermo are still very pro Savoia and monarchist. You can still see the Savoia shield and gold crowns in the hats of each one of these musicians that they wear proudly.

It will be a very long time before they again see processions and marching bands like these going thru the ancient streets of Italy again....if ever--they better treasure these memories......for now. Norman G-C

Band performing from Luigi Canoro's "Italia Mia" march. NEW INDEX of vintage recordings is in the folder. Anyone can download this folder of recordings.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9zhxeekpy...Zb9lDzWUa?dl=0

12. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

The video is identified as "Festa di Santa Rosalia -- Palermo Processione" MP4 video