Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet music.

Default Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

Mille Grazie Sheri for mentioning and highlighting this rare piece! It is certainly worth downloading for the precious dedication alone-- to Professor Tentarelli, let alone for the musical composition itself. ! A rare one indeed!

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiUC1_u-pq8

"Aida" mazurka has nothing to do with Verdi's opera; rather, it was named for his wife, Ida, (AKA Edith). He also used the names of his (five) daughters as titles for his compositions.

Once in a while I find little known musicians on YouTube--a duo here--who excel at performing the mandolin trio. The guitar player reminds me so much of the skills that Gino di Michele used to accompany Matteo Casserino and sometimes, Rudy Cipolla. This rendition is smooth, gracefully executed and true to the sheet music. A model we can all admire. Give 'em a listen and I think you'll agree. The composer, Vincenzo Cesarino, listed witO. Di Bella but was also in Cerabino's music catalog. Kudos! to the Passatempo Band!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiUC1_u-pq8

"Aida" mazurka has nothing to do with Verdi's opera; rather, it was named for his wife, Ida, (AKA Edith). He also used the names of his (five) daughters as titles for his compositions.

Once in a while I find little known musicians on YouTube--a duo here--who excel at performing the mandolin trio. The guitar player reminds me so much of the skills that Gino di Michele used to accompany Matteo Casserino and sometimes, Rudy Cipolla. This rendition is smooth, gracefully executed and true to the sheet music. A model we can all admire. Give 'em a listen and I think you'll agree. The composer, Vincenzo Cesarino, listed witO. Di Bella but was also in Cerabino's music catalog. Kudos! to the Passatempo Band!!
    All this music is driving me back to the mandolin from my fisarmonica and melodeon adventures. Just in time for the nice cool weather!

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

5. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Cesarino was not listed with Di Bella. My error as he was only listed with Cerabino.

7. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    All this music is driving me back to the mandolin from my fisarmonica and melodeon adventures. Just in time for the nice cool weather!

Mick
    My problem is I like BOTH mandolin and accordions, and at the same time. So if you can play all of them, well, wonderful! I can only handle the mandolin side of things.

What about organetto?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    My problem is I like BOTH mandolin and accordions, and at the same time. So if you can play all of them, well, wonderful! I can only handle the mandolin side of things.

What about organetto?
    Well, I credit my wife for finally getting me started on the accordion, David. Growing up in TX I've always loved conjunto music, but being a strings guy I never thought the accordion was my territory.

Shows you how wrong a guy can be.

Learning to squeeze has been a blast, with a lot of musical doors opening up. I've been enjoying playing the PA, but I'm finding the button boxes / melodeons to be especially attractive. And they give me a little territory of my own around the house.

The organetto would be great. We enjoy listening to Ricardo Tesi and Fillipo Gambetta, but those guys are virtuosos. I think diving into some Italian music on a diatonic box is on the near horizon. A good site here.

You're pretty much a wiz at anything you pick up, hermano. I could imagine you making short work of learning a two row box...

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

10. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Well, I credit my wife for finally getting me started on the accordion, David. Growing up in TX I've always loved conjunto music, but being a strings guy I never thought the accordion was my territory.

Shows you how wrong a guy can be.

Learning to squeeze has been a blast, with a lot of musical doors opening up. I've been enjoying playing the PA, but I'm finding the button boxes / melodeons to be especially attractive. And they give me a little territory of my own around the house.

The organetto would be great. We enjoy listening to Ricardo Tesi and Fillipo Gambetta, but those guys are virtuosos. I think diving into some Italian music on a diatonic box is on the near horizon. A good site here.

You're pretty much a wiz at anything you pick up, hermano. I could imagine you making short work of learning a two row box...

Mick
    I am a gentleman.

I know how to play bagpipes and accordions...but I don't

Seriously, I have played free reeds in the past. I prefer piano accordions and European chromatic to diatonic models, but since I don't own or play them, it doesn't matter, and I many friends that play lovely music on button boxes.

What I love is playing WITH accordions. All kinds, from Cajun to Russian to Italian to Tex-Mex.

I'm happy you are having fun.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

I am a gentleman.

I know how to play bagpipes and accordions...but I don't

Rim shot.

I'm happy you are having fun.
    About the only guitar playing I ever do anymore is accompanying my better half. Agreed, it is a lot of fun. My nephew plays bajo sexto and I love to tinker on it.

Bagpipes... I hope I live long enough to get back to that. I played awhile when I was in HS (in a marching band with the whole regalia) but that was long ago. Then I lost my way.

Still much easier for me to sight-read with the mandolin when learning new tunes, so that tends to be the direction I go. Sheri has put forth such a rich lode of music here. I'm only scratching the surface of any of it. Simply amazing.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Here we go, David:

Soprani Organetto just showed up in my ebay feed.

Tempting, but I just sent in one of mine for tuning and a few repairs. We'll be in Milano for a couple good stretches in the winter so I might have a look around for one while we're there.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

16. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Here we go, David:

Soprani Organetto just showed up in my ebay feed.

Tempting, but I just sent in one of mine for tuning and a few repairs. We'll be in Milano for a couple good stretches in the winter so I might have a look around for one while we're there.

Mick
    You might want to wait. One of my close accordion-playing friends is ordering an organetto direct from Italy. I'd wait and look for yourself and find one. I'll be happy to let you know about her story as she gets a custom-made organetto.

You might want to wait. One of my close accordion-playing friends is ordering an organetto direct from Italy. I'd wait and look for yourself and find one. I'll be happy to let you know about her story as she gets a custom-made organetto.
    Not likely to bid on that one, sight unseen....

Would love to be kept abreast of your friend's custom-built organetto project. Thanks!

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

19. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

And while you are waiting…

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

This organetto is quite a hybrid. It is basically diatonic but I have to be honest, I have never seen an organetto or played one that has
    a second row of only three (white) buttons. I think I'm hearing chromatacism. I'm really puzzas it is tuned C/G. Well, completely off topic for a mandolin forum but this Toronto guy plays the heck of a tarantella!

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    Well, completely off topic for a mandolin forum but this Toronto guy plays the heck of a tarantella!
    Good music is never off-topic!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Maybe accidentals in the second row, Sher? At least in the second guy's box.
    Can't say I've seen a one row box set up that way, but I'm relatively new to the sport.
    Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

27. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Maybe accidentals in the second row, Sher? At least in the second guy's box.
    Can't say I've seen a one row box set up that way, but I'm relatively new to the sport.
    Mick
    http://www.organetto.it/Pagine/tasti2b.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	due_bassi.gif 
Views:	97 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	172259

The short row often has the diatonic notes in the reverse bellows direction - these are bisonic accordions.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

http://www.organetto.it/Pagine/tasti2b.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	due_bassi.gif 
Views:	97 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	172259

The short row often has the diatonic notes in the reverse bellows direction - these are bisonic accordions.
    Thanks, David. That is a super handy configuration.
    The French / Breton music I've been playing on my two row boxes calls for a lot of cross row fingering...some to deal with bellows direction changes, etc.
    These boxes are such curious and delightful contraptions.
    Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

31. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

I know we are getting derailed from this thread but button accordion is one of my favorite topics. I find it especially amazing to see and hear these complex Quebecois tunes played on a single row accordion:

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

33. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I know we are getting derailed from this thread but button accordion is one of my favorite topics. I find it especially amazing to see and hear these complex Quebecois tunes played on a single row accordion:

Nice playing - but I'm from South Louisiana and am used to hot shot melodeon players!

And yes, we are getting a bit away from ballo liscio, since you mostly need a chromatic accordion to play the music....like bal musette.

But heck, it's Italian!

I don't think Sheri would mind this little diversion....

This is where David and I definitely overlap territorializingly. We've got a lot of peeps over in the Lafayette, Breaux Bridge area. And from Convent, down David's way, all the way over to Lake Charles. Gulf Coast Texas tends to look easterly and southish.

When I was a kid I was much more into zydeco and conjunto (particularly the dancing) and thought the one-row box Cajun stuff was what "the old folks play". I've kind of done a 180. Or maybe I'm becoming an "old folk" myself!

I bought a one-row four stop box just to dip a toe in, but I admit I'm not likely to get too deep anytime soon. That is some sophisticated syncopations. But, oh, they sound good.

Jim's comments keep reminding me of the connections between LA and Quebecker musics. The Ark, here in AA, regularly gets bands from up that way (and the current favs from PEI.) Man, is that some stuff.

David, I did just acquire a three voice musette tuned Hohner box and sent it up to Scott Bellinger for tuning / fettling, etc. Back for Thanksgiving. Certainly won't have the range of my PA (I've got a small Soprani PA with a nice musette setting) but I'm with Jim. There's something weird and funky about these button boxes that really appeals to me.

Maybe it's the in-out breathing thing, maybe it's the size? I know I love bowlback mandolins for their particular intimacy when playing. Maybe it's some of that. I figure you and Jim would be mis amigos most able to relate.

We'll work the conversation way back to ballo liscio.....if music is made for dancing (cheek to cheek or otherwise), I'm in.....

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

36. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

I fooled around with some norteņo stuff. I have the wrong kind of BA—3 row GCF Corona III—not the II for norteņo. Actually, that fits with the Colombian music from Vallenato, which, if you never heard it, well, you should. Rhythmic insanity. Those diatonic/bisonic accordions force the beat like a PA generally doesn't.

As for Lousiana, i agree that is equally great music, I am in love with all those ethnic genres and to me no one is better than another.

Now, back to our programming: Drop Box and Ballo Liscio.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    3 row GCF Corona III

Now, back to our programming: Drop Box and Ballo Liscio.
    There's a lot of Italian folk music you can play on a 3 row melodeon.

There...back to Italian music, wasn't that easy?

Seriously, I have played more Italian folklore music in the last 25 years with 2-3 row button box players than I have played ballo liscio with unisonic accordion players...usually the button players have a bunch of tunes they know, from various parts of Italy and Sicily..and France, too. They don't seem to do much sight-reading on those boxes, not that they can't, but I sure don't see it - lots of ear players.

Some of the repertoire overlaps a bit with the ballo liscio, but mostly not.

I wasn't at this particular gig with my friends here, but one is playing Italian button accordion:

40. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Jim, a Corona III should do you just fine for conjunto music. Not everyone is that picky over gear as in the mando world. I've seen Santiago Jimenez play two row Ericas and Pokerworks. Hohner makes an El Rey de Vallenato box. But...the same debates are going on viz Chinese vs German instruments like there are in the mando world. Except for the old guys playing the new Panthers, etc.

David makes a good point about "ear playing". The button boxes certainly have helped me in that regard.

Waltzes, mazurkas, tangos. That's some smooth dancing whatever the accordion. Two-step? Pretty smooth in TX.
    Polkas? That's another story. Can't believe I'm loving playing them, but I am.

Mick

BTW, I dig your pals' headgear, David. I leave it at that to avoid a whole other derailment of this thread.

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

42. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

BTW, I dig your pals' headgear, David. I leave it at that to avoid a whole other derailment of this thread.
    If you like the hats, you should see us in full costume as "The Alta California Orchestra", from some years ago:

I'm pictured with the flute.

44. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

I'm pictured with the flute.
    No kidding.....

Check the violinist's charro pants, too.

Looks like a flat-back Italian mandolin?

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

46. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post: