Thread: Monroe-My Last Days on Earth, playing a different mandolin??

Default Monroe-My Last Days on Earth, playing a different mandolin??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDfLmi8dvoU

looks really new, shiney, not the mandolin I've noticed him playing in other videos??

just found this, a really cool video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zov5eZBPfs

okay, just found another nice one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caUaiHs4hsc

d

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

Registered Plec Offender Mickey King's Avatar

Default Re: Monroe-My Last Days on Earth, playing a different mandolin??

He mentions on a live album the he was playing his manager, Ralph Rinsler's mandolin on Get Up John and also said it's in better condition than his. Maybe that same mando. Probably, both those songs used different tuning so he used it and not have to re-tune his mandolin.
    Mickey

Skip Kelley-Kentucky F-5
    Northfield F5S
    Collings MT

Quote Originally Posted by HDmotorcop View Post
    both those songs used different tuning so he used it and not have to re-tune his mandolin.
    that would be the obvious conclusion.

Blog Entries

There are two (other) good reasons to have Get Up John and My Last Days on Earth in your set list... other than the fact they are great tunes and fun to play, that is... now you really need more mandolins!

Toss in a sawmill version of Jenny Lynn and now you need four
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    There are two (other) good reasons to have Get Up John and My Last Days on Earth in your set list... other than the fact they are great tunes and fun to play, that is... now you really need more mandolins!

Toss in a sawmill version of Jenny Lynn and now you need four
    I can get behind that! Plus one for deadman tuning.

Sorry, I know I'm no master musician, but beginning of that first link sounded bloody awful!!!
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

In the first video, to me the mandolin looks like one of the F5L s he had. Could also be the Randy Wood or an Ibanez. Hard for me to see the logo. Sound quality is not great quality in the video. You can see Tater Tate playing the bass but can not really hear it. So, the mandolins bass overtones are probably diminished also.

10. The following members say thank you to GTison for this post:

Looks (and sounds) like an original early Loar F5 to me. Should be Bill's other Loar mandolin in good condition before it got damaged in Nov. 1985. #72214, signed Feb. 26 1923.
    Last edited by Hendrik Ahrend; Jul-05-2014 at 8:37am.

12. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

Blog Entries

If you notice from the notes that first video was recorded at a concert that happened in 1985 (exact date not given) so it might have been after the famous fire poker incident down on his farm? If so, I expect that he is playing the Gibson F-5L that Gibson gave Bill back in about 1978? Not sure about that year.

An aside: I guess he plays that tune in a Dm open tuning? I think I have read that it is: A A; D D; A C; & D F. Hard to believe that the 0.016" string does not break if you try to bring it up to C?
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Jul-05-2014 at 7:21am.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

14. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

Tuning for LDOE is

4th course: g# g#
    3rd: c# c#
    2nd: g# b
    1st: c# e

I believe a tab is posted on the Mandozine site

16. The following members say thank you to palosfv3 for this post:

Bernie has it right. That is exactly what Butch learned us at his seminar.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Bernie has it right. That is exactly what Butch learned us at his seminar.
    Anybody got the tuning for Get Up John? It's similar to MLDOE but a bit different iirc. Dang, I can't remember it though and I too "learned" or more accurately was exposed to it during a Butch B. seminar at the Classical Mandolin Society convention back in the 90's. As kind of sidebar, I was playing in the Providence Mandolin Orchestra at the time and Butch was the featured soloist at one of our concerts. He was traveling with just one mandolin and needed to borrow an F-5 type mandolin so he could play MLDOE in this altered tuning without re-tuning his main axe. I loaned him my '96 Weber signed Gibby F-5G and had the pleasure of listening in the audience as Butch beautifully played solo MLDOE on my re-tuned mandolin. Thanks for conjuring up that fond memory AlanN!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Quote Originally Posted by palosfv3 View Post
    Tuning for LDOE is

4th course: g# g#
    3rd: c# c#
    2nd: g# b
    1st: c# e

I believe a tab is posted on the Mandozine site
    This is the tuning that My Last Days on Earth was originally recorded in on the Master of Bluegrass album. It was later that Monroe used the Dm tuning. He also used Dm when he did the Homespun video. I like it in the original C#m tuning myself.

Get Up John is F#A DD AA AD

That looks like an F-5L to me, it has gold tuners and his F-5 Loar didn`t, Yes it didn`t sound quite right to me either...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    ...I loaned him my '96 Weber signed Gibby F-5G and had the pleasure of listening in the audience as Butch beautifully played solo MLDOE on my re-tuned mandolin. Thanks for conjuring up that fond memory AlanN!! Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Lovely! Bet you wish you had a video of that!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    That looks like an F-5L to me, it has gold tuners and his F-5 Loar didn`t, Yes it didn`t sound quite right to me either...
    My thoughts exactly and also that performance was in 1985 so both his Loars were probably in pieces at the time under Charlie Derrington's care?
    Bernie
    ____

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    My thoughts exactly and also that performance was in 1985 so both his Loars were probably in pieces at the time under Charlie Derrington's care?
    Bill's Loars were smashed in Nov. 1985, the Berkshire Mt. Festival was earlier, around the end of July, if I'm not mistaken. Note the vintage splayed-out Waverly tuners on both the 1st and the 3rd video (can't open the 2nd). Same Loar, I'd say.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    Bill's Loars were smashed in Nov. 1985, the Berkshire Mt. Festival was earlier, around the end of July, if I'm not mistaken. Note the vintage splayed-out Waverly tuners on both the 1st and the 3rd video (can't open the 2nd). Same Loar, I'd say.
    Sounds like you have better info than me!
    Bernie
    ____

I looked for some more information; check out this thread:
    http://http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?34102-Where-is-bill-monroe's-loar

Evan Reilly:
    "Bill mostly used the second Loar in cross-tunings. He initially had it in 'Get Up John' tuning, but when 'My Last Days...' became popular, he kept it in that tuning. He would bring it out onstage to play those requests. I am not sure that he ever recorded with it, however."

F5loar:
    "It's Bill's 2nd Loar the Feb. '23 that is still missing since his death in 1996."

He has his 2nd '23 Feb. Loar in that video above. This would be after the CD repairs. He repaired the July '23 first and then took his time on the 2nd one claiming there was more damage to the tone bars on this one and he never could get it sounding back right. The stage lights are kinda funky on the shine but that's it. Has the right Loar shading, binding, truss rod cover position, tuners and even the strap is the same as when he used it in the instruction video on the same song. Even sounds the same there too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caUaiHs4hsc

27. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    He has his 2nd '23 Feb. Loar in that video above. This would be after the CD repairs. He repaired the July '23 first and then took his time on the 2nd one claiming there was more damage to the tone bars on this one and he never could get it sounding back right. The stage lights are kinda funky on the shine but that's it. Has the right Loar shading, binding, truss rod cover position, tuners and even the strap is the same as when he used it in the instruction video on the same song. Even sounds the same there too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caUaiHs4hsc
    That is a great video -- I've seen it before somewhere but I can't remember where. If that is the damaged 1923 F-5 I think it still sounds pretty decent especially considering what it went through. I did not know it had gold hardware. But that mandolin that is now missing right?

On that tune, My Last Days on Earth, didn't someone work out a way to play it in standard tuning? If so, who did that?
    Bernie
    ____

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    He has his 2nd '23 Feb. Loar in that video above. This would be after the CD repairs...
    Just to get it straight, wouldn't at least the first video - Berkshire Mt. Bluegrass Festival 1985 - show that Loar before the damage?