Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paul Hathway Octave Mandolin

Blog Entries

Default Re: Paul Hathway Octave Mandolin

Dennis (owner of The Mandolin Store) and I had a discussion about this Lafferty octave when it came up for sale awhile back. He said four were made as a sample batch and that he decided to not pursue them further but went ahead and sold the ones be had so the one above is but one of those under the Lafferty brand name and these were manufactured and all sold several years ago.

2. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Any more thoughts on Paul Hathway's OMs? I am considering buying one but have never heard or played one. They look nice and are reasonably priced. Maybe just me, but my personal preference is one that is hand-made in London over an instrument from China no matter what bells and whistles it may have, or even a scroll. I am more interested in playability and tone. I have an Eastman octave mandolin that I am going to sell as soon as I settle on a different one.
    2003 Ratliff R5 #0927
    1955 Martin 2-15
    2006 Custom Daunt Lee Minstrel Octave mandolin
    1929 Weymann mandolin banjo

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Dennis (owner of The Mandolin Store) and I had a discussion about this Lafferty octave when it came up for sale awhile back. He said four were made as a sample batch and that he decided to not pursue them further but went ahead and sold the ones be had so the one above is but one of those under the Lafferty brand name and these were manufactured and all sold several years ago.
    I recall seeing that Lafferty octave mandolin for sale in the CBOM Classifieds a couple weeks ago, I believe for $1800, and when I went back to look for it later that day it was already gone. What was intriguing was that it said "Made in the U.S." I seem to recall seeing in a thread somewhere on here that some of the the Lafferty mandolins were made by Audey Ratliff and others by Paul Schneider, but nothing about who made the octave mandolins. From the quoted post it sounds like the "Made in the U.S." statement was incorrect for that F-style octave.
    2003 Ratliff R5 #0927
    1955 Martin 2-15

Quote Originally Posted by Jerchap2 View Post
    To date, to my knowledge, there is only ONE Gibson octave mandolin, and it is not clear that it is actually an octave mandolin. The octave mandolin is a modern incarnation of the mandolin family instruments, designed in the 1980s primarily for Irish music. But I think they are great and I love mine, a custom instrument made in 2006 by Daunt Lee, formerly of Garrison Guitars before Gibson bought them and then put them out of business. It is a unique and exceptional instrument.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ctave-Mandolin
    2003 Ratliff R5 #0927
    1955 Martin 2-15

Cool I also have a custom OM built by Daunt Lee in 2006, you are the only other person I know of who has one , wonderful instrument!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wight View Post
    Cool I also have a custom OM built by Daunt Lee in 2006, you are the only other person I know of who has one , wonderful instrument!!!
    How cool! I do not think he made more than a few. I love mine! Here is a photo of the label through the sound hole:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Minstrel OM label.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	332.8 KB 
ID:	203179
    2003 Ratliff R5 #0927
    1955 Martin 2-15

Yes and there is currently one of them listed in the Classifieds here
    too many strings

Quote Originally Posted by musicofanatic View Post
    Yes and there is currently one of them listed in the Classifieds here
    Really? I missed it. Don't see one now, but you posted that 6 days ago. I would really like to find another one to have as a backup. Any chance you might think about selling or trading yours? Please PM me. And please PM me if you see another one for sale. I try to check the ads daily but sometimes get very busy. Thanks! Let's keep in touch, and not just through this thread!
    2003 Ratliff R5 #0927
    1955 Martin 2-15

Quote Originally Posted by Jerchap2 View Post
    Any more thoughts on Paul Hathway's OMs? I am considering buying one but have never heard or played one. They look nice and are reasonably priced. Maybe just me, but my personal preference is one that is hand-made in London over an instrument from China no matter what bells and whistles it may have, or even a scroll. I am more interested in playability and tone. I have an Eastman octave mandolin that I am going to sell as soon as I settle on a different one.
    I have had a Hathway for a couple of months now. I got it thinking that it could be a replacement for my Eastman. I have liked what I heard in various YouTube videos of Hathways, and in real life, it had all that and then some - there is a richness to the sound that just doesn't come through on YouTube.

But I was also in for a bit of a surprise - it made me appreciate my Eastman much more for what it is. It doesn't have that rich, resonant ring that comes from the Hathway, not even close, especially not on the lower strings. But it has this dry, percussive 'thunk' that I have always liked and that I find even more attractive now that I have something else at hand as a contrast.

I also find the Eastman way easier to play. Perhaps it has to do with the radiused fretboard, and there is something about the shape of the neck that suits me better. This is most certainly a matter of personal preference.

As it is right now, I am not sure that I would want to choose one over the other. And if I had to, I am also not sure which one.

11. The following members say thank you to Gertz for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gertz View Post
    I have had a Hathway for a couple of months now. I got it thinking that it could be a replacement for my Eastman. I have liked what I heard in various YouTube videos of Hathways, and in real life, it had all that and then some - there is a richness to the sound that just doesn't come through on YouTube.

But I was also in for a bit of a surprise - it made me appreciate my Eastman much more for what it is. It doesn't have that rich, resonant ring that comes from the Hathway, not even close, especially not on the lower strings. But it has this dry, percussive 'thunk' that I have always liked and that I find even more attractive now that I have something else at hand as a contrast.

I also find the Eastman way easier to play. Perhaps it has to do with the radiused fretboard, and there is something about the shape of the neck that suits me better. This is most certainly a matter of personal preference.

As it is right now, I am not sure that I would want to choose one over the other. And if I had to, I am also not sure which one.
    Gertz, thanks for this thoughtful reflection on the two instruments. I wish I had an opportunity to play a Hathway and compare it with my Eastman my Daunt Lee Minstrel octave mandolins. I have yet to find someone in my area who owns one that I could try. I like the neck on my Minstrel much better than on my Eastman, which is a bit chunky for my taste. I also like the deeper more resonant tone that comes from a deeper body, whereas the Eastman MDO has about the same body depth as a mandolin. As you say, not right or wrong, just personal preference.
    2003 Ratliff R5 #0927
    1955 Martin 2-15

I've owned a Hathway Mandocello for some years now, which I bought in person from Paul at his home workshop. I recall trying a couple of his OMs while I was there, and was hugely impressed. His instruments are simple and excellent: no frills, but really good build quality and finish. They have a lovely warmth to them and are very comfortable to play. In my view they represent outstanding value for money. My Mandocello with a cedar top to my ears sounds just what I would want from a mandocello.
    "To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable". Beethoven

Eastman MD404
    Angara e D'Isanto 1895 Bowlback
    Eastman MD505 CC
    Paul Hathway Mandocello
    Bucketful of picks...still looking for the Magic one 🦄

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fumblefour For This Useful Post:

I had a very happy time a few years ago at Hobgobins in London. A whole pile of newly-delivered hand-made Hathway instruments were on the sofa at the back, smelling wonderful. I played a few mandolins, and tried a bouzouki, and they all felt and sounded so comfortable and balanced (I'm struggling to find thr right words) They inspired confidence, without any pretention. I sent my wife off for a coffee because I needed a bit of time with them. Came out with a mandolin, and have never regretted choosing it over another make. If ever my present bouzouki meets a nasty end, I'd certainly replace it with a Hathway! Until now I've always struck with the Newtone strings, but thanks to Brexit it now costs a bomb in taxes to ship them to Germany
    "What's that funny guitar thing..?"

16. The following members say thank you to Tim N for this post: