Thread: Eastman MD615 with pick-up or MD815?

Question Eastman MD615 with pick-up or MD815?

Hi
    I live in Spain and virtually no chance of trying Eastman or any other mandolins out here, so I would be very grateful of any advice that can be given, regarding mandolin choice if I were to order one online.

I'm not worried so much what it looks like but I am drawn to the F5 shape and
    even though I play Celtic music I prefer the Bluegrass woody kind of tone.

I have been looking at Eastman F5 style mandolins, as I'm looking for something not too expensive as a reliable workhorse to play regular gigs 4/5 times a week,
    nearly all amplified.

I currently have a Godin A8 which works great for loud gigs with our drummer etc and never a problem with feedback, however I feel for quieter duo gigs I miss out on a good acoustic woody tone, also I occasionally play totally acoustic and have to play an octave mandolin as the Godin is not loud enough un-plugged.

I'll probably keep the Godin but I have a few questions -

would the Eastman's be a good choice?
    does anybody own or tried the 615 with the factory fitted Schertler
    pick-up?

or does anybody have the reso coil pick-up fitted on a different instrument?

is it a good pick up for my needs ie tone and feedback resistance?

Is there much difference tonally between the 615 or the 815 or is the higher price for the 815 a cosmetic thing?

would I be better off stretching my budget and buy the 815 and get a pick-up fitted?
    and if so any pick-up recommendations?

any other similar priced makes I should be considering?

Oh I play my Godin through an AER copmact 60
    I also have a old spare Fishman bridge pick-up that I could fit on
    any mandolin I buy.

Thank you
    Gracias
    Mick
    Last edited by mandomicky; Jul-03-2014 at 8:17am.

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Default Re: Eastman MD615 with pick-up or MD815?

I don't have experience with those 2 models but I will weigh in on the pickup issue. I prefer the K&K twin through a good amp like you have than the Schertler. I have both. K&K has great plugged in tone, especially if you really pull out most of the mids, is very feed back resistant and is considerably cheaper.

Thank you Mando Mike
    great I will have a look at the K&K pick-up, I have noticed quite a few people like that one

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

In some cases an Eastman 615 (or 515) can sound as good or better than an 815. It's really just a matter of the 815 having more binding, and possibly prettier--not necessarily better--tonewood. Best thing would be if you could play both, but it sounds like that is impossible. For your purposes I would go with the 615 with the bridge PU.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Than you Steve
    yes Impossible for me to try any here in southern Spain, I did suspect it might just be a cosmetic thing although they mention
    the 815 has Adirondack Spruce and the 615 spruce, I have no idea what Adirondack Spruce is or the difference it would make!?

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mandomicky View Post
    I have no idea what Adirondack Spruce is or the difference it would make!?
    Adirondack red spruce is generally found on the prewar instruments that most people associate with that traditional woody bluegrass tone you seek.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Thanks for the info

I own an Eastman 605 and compared the acoustic tonal differences to the 505 and couldn't tell the difference, so the pickup doesn't seem to change the acoustic tone. As far as how it sounds plugged in, I thought the amplified sound was quite realistic in that it didn't actually sound much different than the acoustic sound, just louder. I was sitting quite close to my speaker, actually facing it with no feedback. Of course one can EQ various parts of the tone- highs, mids, and/ or lows to adjust it to ones preference. I have the pickups that came with it when I bought it new from the Mandolin Store. http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=7285
    If you haven't already, compare their sound clips of the instruments you are debating. Also look at their online you tube video demonstrations. These may be helpful to you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7TZ...OSdAmqWfF8-g5w
    The one caveat is, of course, I am new to mandolin and perhaps my ear isn't quite as discerning as a seasoned player. I do have experience playing acoustic/electric guitars and feel the sound on the Eastman 695 mandolin is more realistic amplified than many acoustic guitars I've played amplified with their built in pick-ups.
    11th commandment: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's axe.

I just got me a MD615-GB and shorty after I watched this comparison video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkCxxANj7_Y

In this video I like the acoustical sound of the 815 more. It sounds warmer and deeper, not so much high frequency as the 615. Maybe the sound difference is also due to the 815's dot inlays vs. the block inlays of the 615? I'd also be interested if the 815 is louder than the 615? Unfortunately you can't tell from the video.

But nevertheless - I love the built-in pickup of the 615, and this was one of the main reasons I bought it.

If I understand correctly, the Schertler is actually a microphone, not a pickup, thus the balanced input. K&K is a good product, but all piezo pickups are the same basic component and operate at the same resistance. Good sound from a piezo is dependent on having a pre-amp/interface with adequate ohms to enhance sonic quality and eliminate "quack."

If you don't need a pickup for your playing, then it doesn't matter, does it? For small venues a standing mic will work well. In addition to a little more bling, the 815 seems to get a little more attention to detail with the workmanship. The early 615's with the nitrocellulose finish have a reputation for being a little thick and thus stifling the sound. The newer ones have rectified this issue.
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H