Thread: Looking for a good upgrade

Question Looking for a good upgrade

Hi Folks,
    I started playing the OM about 4 years ago, and absolutely love playing this instrument. I currently have a Johnson 550 that I bought lightly used. In general I like the tonal quality of the instrument, which I would categorize as having a rich, non-twangy sound. I even had two people comment recently that they liked the sound of the instrument, but there are two issues 1) the instrument isn't very loud, and was drowned out completely during a recent contra dance performance. 2) the instrument itself is sharp, so to speak. The strings will be in tune when played open, but is sharp whenever I put any fingers down.

At this point, I can imagine playing the OM for the long term, and so I'm willing to invest in a good quality instrument. I've looked at Weber instruments, and they seem very nice, but it looks like it would be somewhere in the ballpark of $6,000. I was looking on the builders section on this website, and there seems to be about 400 builders listed, not all of whom build OMs.

And so I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions on any luthiers I should consider? Also, any suggestions on price range, features, or other considerations would be welcomed.

Thanks,
    Brian

Default Re: Looking for a good upgrade

Brian,

The sharpness problem is likely due to the bridge being too close to the fingerboard (assuming it is adjustable) and is an easy fix. You can slacken the strings and move the bridge back a mm or two and check the intonation. I check mine at the 7th and 12th frets, true notes (fretted) and harmonics on all strings. Tough to get perfect on all strings, but you should be able to get close assuming the instrument was fretted to a correct scale and the bridge is properly compensated for the string gauges being used.

As to builders, there are not as many OM builders as mandolin builders but I would keep my eye out for a used one. A lot of people get into mandolin and think that an OM would be cool too (a giant mando, wow!) and then realize the scale differences make things very different. A flattop sounds surprisingly very good and can save you big bucks. Weber and Flatiron come to mind as far as factory made. John Hamlett has made some very cool flattop mandolas and I am sure could build an OM. Dave Bucher made me a really cool bent top OM years ago that was affordable and I wish I still owned. Marty Jacobson is in the midst of some type of GOM project right now and his work comes highly recommended.

Good luck!

Sean
    Last edited by sgrexa; Jul-02-2014 at 2:42pm.

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

Hi Brian,
    If you haven't already, go to the home page and find 'more resources' in the top left corner.
    Then click on 'eye candy'. From there click on CBOM's. That's not everyone who build OM's.
    But, it's a good start. I'll give you a few of my fave's. Checkout their websites.
    Phil Crump………$2100+
    Mike Black……….GBOM $3900+
    Nic Apollonio……$1400+
    Nic makes a fun to play bell shaped econo OM for about $700.
    I'm sure you'll get many more builders to checkout from other posts.
    Good luck in your search.
    Gary
    vincit qui se vincit

Just stumbled on this thread documenting Bill Bussman's Zoukfest trip a few years ago. Certainly a lot of builders represented here and lots of eye candy!

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...est-mandolalia

Sean

Your two main choices are guitar-bodied or tear-drop. Then you have flat-tops and carved-tops, round-hole and f-holes...

I'm a big fan of Crump's instruments (I have two, a 'zouk and an OM). You might also look at the Petersens. Very good value for money.
    EdSherry

Can't say enough good things about my friend Tom "TJ" Jessen and Cricket Fiddle. He is not as well known but his instruments are the equal of or better than the fine instruments I've played by better known luthiers. Not everyone can afford a Fletcher Brock, or Herb Taylor, or Clark, or even a Weber. He offers superb sound, quality and playability at about a third the price of a Weber. Totally hand-built and the coolest case you'll ever see, also hand built.

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

This is starting off a little slower than I thought it might.
    So, here are a few very good builders from down under.
    Paddy Bergin……..NZ
    Jack Spira…………..AU
    I haven't seen pricing lately, but I believe they run 2-3K.
    Gary
    vincit qui se vincit

I can give kudos to Paddy Burgin in New Zealand - he built my Octaveb(see http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ghlight=Burgin) for a very reasonable price. A good friend played it recently and ended up ordering one from Paddy, too. I also have a second hand Phil Crump zouk that I love...really good playability and sound. Both gentlemen have been responsive to emails. Good luck in your search, but either Paddy or Phil would make you a great instrument!

Cheers,
    Dave
    Keith Newell "Roger Landes" model mandolin
    1917 Gibson A-1 mandolin
    Paddy Burgin short-scale (21.25") octave mandolin/bouzouki
    Dermot McIlroy AS-16
    1920s German fiddle

If you're in the UK, Fylde and Oakwood are two companies I have instruments from, both of which I love and also both make OMs.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Dave Cohen builds a great OM! I don't play one, but I gave a go on one that he had recently completed and just loved it, just like I love the mandolin he built for me a couple of years ago.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I forgot that Max Girouard in NH builds a fine A style carved top OM...

Sean