Thread: Video - Reso mando madness in two registers

Default Video - Reso mando madness in two registers

Close-up footage of two custom creations by Ron Hyde - an octave reso mando and a standard reso mando. Here they are in action in the hands of americana band Parsonsfield (live at Shippen Manor, June 22, 2014). Each video features both registers. Enjoy!
    http://vimeo.com/99684516
    http://vimeo.com/99684517

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wherzmymule For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Video - Reso mando madness in two registers

You just can't get away from Mumfordness these days.

Thank goodness for luthiers like Ron Hyde who are all about *encouraging* young artists and creating special instruments for their sounds and personalities!

I enjoyed both videos very much. Looks like the band was having a lot of fun, too. The octave reso has an interesting range, to my ear sounding like a banjo with more sustain (yes, that is a compliment!). I checked out Hydemade mandolins on his website and looks like some interesting stuff.

Smile Re: Video - Reso mando madness in two registers

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I enjoyed both videos very much. Looks like the band was having a lot of fun, too. The octave reso has an interesting range, to my ear sounding like a banjo with more sustain (yes, that is a compliment!). I checked out Hydemade mandolins on his website and looks like some interesting stuff.
    Thank you, Jeff Mando, for watching the videos. I will relay your very kind words to the band and to Ron Hyde!

I really don't know much about "Mumfordness", but I have been familiar with a unique flavor of "Beardgrass" that is usually humorous, and most of the time have regional followings. For a while I had fears that acoustic music might be lost on the current generation, but they have proved themselves to still be honest, even if they aren't following all the "Traditional Methods". The music might not be getting played around my house, but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the fact that they are out there and doing it!

8. The following members say thank you to tkdboyd for this post:

Wow, that thing has SO much sustain.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdboyd View Post
    I really don't know much about "Mumfordness", but I have been familiar with a unique flavor of "Beardgrass" that is usually humorous, and most of the time have regional followings. For a while I had fears that acoustic music might be lost on the current generation, but they have proved themselves to still be honest, even if they aren't following all the "Traditional Methods". The music might not be getting played around my house, but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the fact that they are out there and doing it!
    Thank you, tkdboyd, for your open-minded approach to the new americana genre. I think you put it just right, "they have proved themselves to still be honest". You have a sure compass.

11. The following members say thank you to wherzmymule for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Ferry View Post
    Wow, that thing has SO much sustain.
    Marc Ferry, I hope that you might come to a concert, since the band (Parsonsfield, formerly Poor Old Shine) is based in your region. They will play at New Bedford MA folk festival this Saturday evening (July 5) and then at Green River festival (in Greenfield MA) a week later (July 12). Green River festival is using one of the band's songs as the soundtrack to its festival promo video on the front page of the festival website. Here is the link: http://www.greenriverfestival.com/
    The band would be happy to show you the instruments.
    I will keep an eye out for your music!

The boys handle themselves well for having to compete with a motorcycle engine.

Does he have that standard mando single-strung, or is the pair spacing just real tight? Was there a technical problem at the beginning of the mermaid song?

Both instruments are being picked up on the mic only, correct? Didn't see a cable.

I live in Washington state, as does Ron ... does he ever bring instruments to local shows or festivals?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy Wood Thormahlen Andersen Bacorn Yanuziello Fender National Gibson Franke Fuchs Aceto Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post

Does he have that standard mando single-strung, or is the pair spacing just real tight? Was there a technical problem at the beginning of the mermaid song?

Both instruments are being picked up on the mic only, correct? Didn't see a cable.

I live in Washington state, as does Ron ... does he ever bring instruments to local shows or festivals?
    Thank you, mrmando, for noticing the boys' sang froid. I will relay the compliment. In reply to your questions: The standard mandolin is double-strung. I can't speak to the tightness of the string spacing. (Sorry the video resolution or focus isn't sharper. I'm a rank amateur at video and was using a borrowed camera for the first time.) At the beginning of the mermaid song, the mandolin player was giving a bit of TLC to his handmade winged-skull decoration (which he based on a New England gravestone rubbing); the decoration, like true wings, wants to fly away! Both instruments are being picked up by the mic only. Ron Hyde lives in horse country, east of the Cascades, near the Canadian border. He gets to the Seattle area from time to time. I will ask him whether he brings instruments to regional shows or festivals and get back to you. I hope this helps.

That lead singer looks like he can hardly wait to make it to a restroom. Not a bad sound but hard to watch.
    Bill Snyder

mrmando, I followed up on your last question. Ron tells me that he doesn't bring instruments to exhibit at shows or festivals because ... he can't bear to sit still at a booth, he would rather be working on instruments in his shop!

He likes quirky projects for the idiosyncratic needs of the working musician. To give you an idea of his range, here is a photo of a resonator upright bass that he is building for the bassist in Parsonsfield - It's a portable instrument for the road, with a bolt-on neck that stores inside the body (thru the side port). (Sorry if the photo is off-topic, not a mandolin.):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ron Hyde travel bass for Parsonsfield.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	121228

Quote Originally Posted by wherzmymule View Post
    mrmando, I followed up on your last question. Ron tells me that he doesn't bring instruments to exhibit at shows or festivals because ... he can't bear to sit still at a booth, he would rather be working on instruments in his shop!

He likes quirky projects for the idiosyncratic needs of the working musician. To give you an idea of his range, here is a photo of a resonator upright bass that he is building for the bassist in Parsonsfield - It's a portable instrument for the road, with a bolt-on neck that stores inside the body (thru the side port). (Sorry if the photo is off-topic, not a mandolin.):

Name:	Ron Hyde travel bass for Parsonsfield.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	121228
    (Not mando. Follow-up on Ron Hyde custom reso instruments - "anything with strings and a resonator".) And now here is a photo of the finished reso bass in action for the first time in concert, at the New Bedford Folk Festival in Massachusetts (July 5-6).:

Name:	Parsonsfield - Reso bass - New Bedford.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	121330

I enjoyed these videos! I'm not usually a fan of overly ornate instruments, but I will admit that those mandos are pretty neat. I've never seen anybody play mandolin with the neck pointed toward the floor before. Is there any sort of practical advantage for that technique or is it just for show?

Well, I'm curious to hear the hexacone reso-bass ... that's a new one on me! Perhaps the cones make up somewhat for the smaller air chamber. There was a Dobro bass guitar model a few years back that I liked.

I've worked a few festival booths and can sympathize with feeling stuck back there.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy Wood Thormahlen Andersen Bacorn Yanuziello Fender National Gibson Franke Fuchs Aceto Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by Crantu View Post
    I enjoyed these videos! I'm not usually a fan of overly ornate instruments, but I will admit that those mandos are pretty neat. I've never seen anybody play mandolin with the neck pointed toward the floor before. Is there any sort of practical advantage for that technique or is it just for show?
    Thank you, Crantu, for watching the videos. I'm glad you enjoyed them. The fact that you're a purist at heart when it comes to mandolin aesthetics makes your appreciation of these eccentric mandolins all the more gratifying. The mandolin player in Parsonfield has also a mandolin by Wesley Brandt (a luthier in Portland OR) that might speak to your core taste. I attach some pics. This was Mr. Brandt's first mandolin! (He is an accomplished maker of viols da gambe.) I hope that you will find it traditional yet fresh and simply elegant.

Name:	MM1.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	121440Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm11.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	121441Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm6.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	121443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm4.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	121444Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm10.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	121445Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm8.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	121446

Crantu, I forgot to mention in my previous reply that I've relayed your question (about the technique of playing mandolin with the neck pointed toward the floor) to the mandolin player.

Well, I'm curious to hear the hexacone reso-bass ... that's a new one on me! Perhaps the cones make up somewhat for the smaller air chamber. There was a Dobro bass guitar model a few years back that I liked.

I've worked a few festival booths and can sympathize with feeling stuck back there.
    mrmando,
    You've given the instrument a name that will stick: "Hexacone reso-bass"! Ron Hyde brought the instrument to the Tractor Tavern in Seattle in your area in May, when the band had a concert there (under its previous name, Poor Old Shine). The instrument was structurally complete at that point, but the wood was raw. Ron brought it to enable the bassist to provide hands-on feedback for adjustments and tweaks, during sound check. The instrument got lots of oohs and ahs. And it sounded great!
    If a good video should of the hexacone reso-bass in action should turn up, I'll send you a link. Otherwise I'll drop you a line when the band will tour again in the great northwest. (Beautiful country - and I crave the clam chowder at the hole-in-the-wall place that only sells clam chowder, Pike Place Chowder.)

Blog Entries

Very nice.

I would have liked to hear more mando and more instrumentals, but that is a taste thing. Audiences really like vocals.

I like that portable pump organ. Makes you guys an orchestra. Is that a vintage instrument?

A fellow once brought a portable pump organ to a jam we had at a camp, what a lot of fun.

I hope to catch you guys live sometime.
    Having something to say is highly over rated.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Very nice.

I would have liked to hear more mando and more instrumentals, but that is a taste thing. Audiences really like vocals.

I like that portable pump organ. Makes you guys an orchestra. Is that a vintage instrument?

A fellow once brought a portable pump organ to a jam we had at a camp, what a lot of fun.

I hope to catch you guys live sometime.
    Thank you, JeffD, for your appreciation of the band. In reply to your question, the portable pump organ is indeed a vintage insturment - It was manufactured in 1897 in Brattleboro VT.

Thank you also for your interest in catching the band live. I see from your handle that you are in two areas, upstate NY and DC. Parsonfield just had a concert in Lake Placid! They have concerts in Vermont on July 25 and August 2 (perhaps within striking distance of your base in upstate NY?), and a concert in DC (with "Tall Heights") at a venue called "Sixth and I" on July 26. The band's schedule is posted at their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Parsonsfield

If you attend a concert, please introduce yourself - The band is always happy to talk about the instruments.

Crantu,
    I relayed to the band your question, about playing mandolin with the neck pointed toward the floor. There is a mix of reasons. As you might have noticed in the videos, the mandolinist plays fast and hard in some parts of songs. Playing other parts with the neck pointed toward the floor keeps the player loose by using muscles differently. The technique also changes the sound a little, by keeping the instrument more away from the player, somewhat like using a tone guard device in standard position. And the technique is also for show. For all these reasons, it's a helpful change of pace.

And here is close-up footage of another Ron Hyde creation in action in the hands of americana band Parsonsfield. This one is a spider-cone resonator mandolin. The resonator cover, headstock plate, tail piece, and hand rest are cut from old road signs. This instrument is exceptionally versatile for a reso mando. The tune is "Love Song," an original by the band. Enjoy!
    Link: https://vimeo.com/101260559

Default Video - Reso mando interlacing with glockenspiel and singing bowl

And here is close-up footage of the Hydemade biscuit resonator mandolin interlacing with glockenspiel and singing bowl on a delicate ballad. The band is Parsonsfield, the song is an original ("Hot Air Balloon") they wrote for "The Heart of Robin Hood". The occasion was a little concert in an old barn, backlit by the late-afternoon sun, at Tyrone Farm. Stick with it - most of the mandolin parts are in the second half of the song. Enjoy!
    Last edited by wherzmymule; Aug-22-2014 at 12:07pm.