Thread: just back from the Mandolin Symposium

Default just back from the Mandolin Symposium

Another great year worth the expense of traveling to always sunny but water short Santa Cruz. Danilo Britto choroes burned up the stage more than once and taught a class with Mike and Brian Rice. Choro Das 3 stopped by to play and help Mike Marshall teach us about choro rhythms. Donnie's swing ensemble tackled a very complicated but beautiful version of "Four" he created for them. Don Julin took a bunch of newbies, some with only 5 days on the instrument and created an ensemble performance that was incredibly beautiful, fun for them to learn so they said, and showed what a masterful teacher for new musicians he is. Emory Lester's technique classes were my personal high point, as was his beautiful playing and all around nice guy. Rich Del Grosso, well, what can you say about him but "he's the man" when it comes to blues. Sierra Hull, who's classes I didn't experience this year, was really a joy to have around for her singing and deft light touch. Dawg continues to crush it, and Mike earned a new nickname, "The Gusher", but you'll not get that story from me but videos will likely show up. It had something to do with a fire hydrant. Of course Catharina L. was there on classical. Did I miss someone? Blame it on the lack of sleep. Photos at the Mandolin Symposium's Facebook page by Maria Camillo. I left my camera at home to spend my time playing. While Steven Ruffo's son Jesse was videotaping the event, (was Maria also?) it may be some time before we see his video of the 'best of'. Seems to be some videos of the student performances on General Discussions. Call it another winner for Dawg, Gator, Ruffo and Patrice (including crew too!).

Check out Don's ensemble doing "Four" as their week's work. Fabulous all around. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJVr...BspIz3&index=8
    Last edited by Al Bergstein; Jun-29-2014 at 12:18am.
    Al in PT

Default Re: just back from the Mandolin Symposium

Wow, nice clip!

Scott

*mandolin mind, beginner mind*

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bergstein View Post
    Photos at the Mandolin Symposium's Facebook page by Maria Camillo. While Steven Ruffo's son Jesse was videotaping the event, (was Maria also?) it may be some time before we see his video of the 'best of'.
    Here's the link to the album on Facebook (around 200 photos). https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6395088&type=1

No, I didn't do any video, just photos. Had to leave at the crack of dawn on Friday, so I had to miss the grand finale, unfortunately. Hopefully, someone else got photos of that.
    Maria Camillo
    www.mcbooking.com

"Went up North to Santa Cruz
    To see Rich Del Grosso playin' the Blues
    Sounds so Sweeeet
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Aaaaaaaaaaaah
    He's hard to beat
    That Mandolin Bluesman Rocked me off my feet..."

I'm going one day. It is on my bucket list. Thanks so much for the link to the videos and Facebook page.

Svea