Thread: Myers Pickup

Default Myers Pickup

I searched the forum and couldn't find anything on these. Has anyone tried one?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/MANDOLIN-PIC...item1c4228801b

Being easily transfered from one instrument to another would be a real plus for me, but only if it sounds good -- and stays attached.

--Chase Brady
    Check out my YouTube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGB22R_hYOXh55h_zfazCPQ
    Nice YouTube comments help local musicians get gigs!
    My Web Page: pages.suddenlink.net/chasebradymusic

Default Re: Myers Pickup

I guess no responses means no one's tried a Myers pickup. At least there are no grave warnings, so I'll be the first. I went ahead and ordered one. When it arrives, I'll give you some kind of report. I also discovered that if you buy from their web page you get free shipping. http://www.myerspickups.com/

--Chase Brady

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Looks like a smart design concept. I'd be curious to know how well the suction cup works and your sense of the sound. Thanks for being brave and taking the plunge!

Just went thru the contact form on the Myers site. They responded that the gooseneck is a condenser mic, and there is no piezo, so the suction cup should have negligible impact on the sound. Looks kind of cool, actually, and the ability to switch instruments is a definite plus. Now if I could only figure out why the spell check objects to "gooseneck" and "piezo", but accepts "thru".

Interesting design! It wasn't clear from the Ebay photos whether it was a contact-type pickup or a mic, so I went to the company web site and it looks like it's an omni mic, so you don't need it actually touching the mandolin top. Let us know how it works.

My two main concerns would be 1) battery life, since it uses a small lithium battery, and 2) how well that suction cup sticks with a cable attached. You're probably going to need some strain relief on the cable, maybe looping it through your strap at the endpin or something, so the cable weight doesn't pull directly on the suction cup.

Omni? so 360 degree sensitivity? where the wire attaches may make it more directional ,
    you tell all once you plug it in and stand near your monitor speakers.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Omni pattern may not be a problem since it looks like it's intended to be used very close to the instrument, which increases gain before feedback. Omnis also have the least amount of proximity effect (bass boost) when close, so that may be why it's used. .

Personally, I like a cardioid or "mini shotgun" like the DPA 4099, so the mic can be moved back a little and capture more full-top resonance. But let's see how this one works in practice.

I purchased the Myers pickup several months ago for my Ibanez M522S mandolin and am very pleased with it. I had tried piezzo contact mic and found it to be shrill and tinny. I considered getting the Epiphone MM50E mandolin that has a built in pickup, but I chose this option instead.

The Myers pickup is powered with a small lithium battery and has a suction cup on the bottom that adheres the pickup to the mandolin or guitar without effecting the finish of the instrument. It comes with strong, double sided tape and screws for a more permanent installation, if you don't plan on using it on another instrument. You have the option of buying the pickup with or without a goose neck omni direction microphone that can be dropped into the sound hole of your instrument. Those without the goose neck microphone have a microphone in the pickup itself that will pick up the external vibrations of the mandolin or guitar.

I use the Myers pickup to lead worship in church and to record at home. The tone I get from it is excellent and I am very pleased with it. The capability of transferring it from one instrument to another is a great feature, since I use it with my mandolin and my acoustic guitar, neither of which have built in pickups. I bought extra batteries for it, which were inexpensive, but haven't needed them yet. The originals seem to have a long life. Highly recommended!
    Last edited by JamieJ; Jun-30-2014 at 8:01pm.

Thanks, Jamie! That makes me feel a little more comfortable with my purchase.

--Chase Brady

The Myers pickup arrived today. I made some quick and dirty sound samples.
    https://soundcloud.com/chasebrady/se...kup-comparison
    I'm not terribly familiar with SoundCloud, so let me know if the links don't work.

These were recorded direct onto my laptop using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I'm playing a Breedlove Cascade. I recorded two tracks with the Myers and for comparison, one track with an MXL603s pencil condenser microphone about 10" in front and one track with a JJP twin piezo pickup mounted on the top next to the bridge. I used the two channels of the Scarlett to record the JJP and the Myers1 track simultaneously and the MXL and Myers2 track simultaneously. The only processing I did was normalization to -1 db. A little EQ would help both the Myers and the JJP, but I wanted to make the fairest comparison I could. Please pardon my playing.

A few other things I should mention.
    1) The output on the one I received is rather weak. Since it is advertised as having a preamp, i was in hopes that I wouldn't have to use an external preamp, but no such luck. Even with the volume cranked all the way up on the pickup and the volume on my Acoustasonic 30 at about 6, it was barely audible. For me, this is a disappointment, but not a deal-breaker. I have yet to see a mandolin pickup that didn't need an external preamp. It works fine through my old ART tube MP.
    2) Suction cups don't work well on satin finishes. It might work on some, but not on others. There's a product called "Kling-ons" which is intended to allow suction cups to be used with satin finishes, but I haven't tried them. Even on gloss finishes, you'll want to anchor the cable to the strap to keep the weight from pulling it off. I figure a velcro cable tie should work fine. The other two mounting options involve either double stick tape or screws (horrors) on the face of the instrument. With a little ingenuity, you could probably mount it to a carpenter jack.
    3) As with any microphone, position can make a big difference. I haven't taken the time to play around with it much. I had it about a half inch above the tailpiece end of the lower f-hole.
    4) I got my Acoustasonic cranked up to a pretty good volume level before it started to ring a little too much in the high register. More volume than I can get with the MXL, and that's standing in front of the amp. Any microphone will feed back, but I'm thinking this is pretty good.

The ability to easily move this from one instrument to another is a big plus for me. I haven't tried this on acoustic guitar yet, but it sounds great on my dobro. I'm interested in hearing what you think about the sound samples. My initial impression is reasonably favorable. Next week I hope to try it out at a local stage jam, so I'll be able tell you a little more about it then.

--Chase Brady

11. The following members say thank you to Varin for this post:

Jim 

I have yet to see a mandolin pickup that didn't need an external preamp
    Well, I have used the cheap piezo glued on that is really hot, produced very loud volume without any preamp. The output goes directly into my acoustic amp. It is actually TOO HOT and sound harsh. I have to use a thick superglue layer when glueing it. The glue layer seems to lower the volume and smooth the sound. Done this on ukulele, mandolin, sound quite OK.

I tried the myers pickup on my Cascade last night at an open jam. I have to say I'm impressed. No problem with feedback and it sounded great. With the caveat that an external preamp is required, and satin finished instruments may require the aforementioned "Kling-ons", I'd recommend it. Also, the suction cup and the surface of the instrument need to be very clean if you want it to stick through the set. Overall, I'm happy with it.

--Chase

Full disclaimer:
    After I posted the comments above, I decided to send Greg Myers (the manufacturer) an email. I thought he might be interested in knowing there was a discussion of his product. Yesterday, he contacted me and asked if he could post excerpts on his web page. He offered to put a link their to my youtube page. So sometime in the next few days, you might see my picture there. I just wanted to make it clear that I am not a paid endorser of his product. The comments I made above were not made as a result of or in anticipation of any agreement with Mr. Myers, nor am I receiving any compensation other than a link on his web page. I just like his product. No pickup is right for everybody, but this one suits my needs nicely at a price that won't break the bank.
    I'm just a retired math teacher hoping to suplement my pension by gigging. No one's foolish enough to want to pay me for endorsements.

--Chase Brady

I meant to say "Full disclosure:".

--Chase Brady

The Myers feather pickup worked great for me compared to all the other alternatives out there. And no permanent install on any of my instruments. Plugged into amp nothing else to deal with except my playing :-) I use it on my Weber cedar top mandolin ,My Gibson AJ and my Imperial Banjo and it keeps the natural tone of each one. I'm more than satisfied. But would use a DI box for going thru Pa system for balance with other mics.