Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Regarding DR Mandolin Strings

Default Regarding DR Mandolin Strings

The Mandolin Cafe is a great site for learning new things. I really like it. For instance, I have been aware of DR Strings for decades, but pretty much have ignored them. I saw that a lot of people on this site rave about DR medium gauge mandolin strings. Just out of curiosiity, I purchased a set of DR 12-41 strings and put them on my The Loar 700 mandolin. I generally use D"Addario J74s. I wasn't expecting much, but I was very surprised at the improvement in tone, note clarity and volume from my instrument. The strings are a little stiffer then what I am accustomed to, but I figure in week or so I will acclimate. I am now a believer, and will be buying DRs from now on.

Default Re: Regarding DR Mandolin Strings

I put the MD-11s on my flattop last week and like them. I still want to try the recommended Newtones though, unfortunately they were out of stock.

DR strings were first brought to our general attention on here about 3 years or so ago,by one of our 'one time regulars' Big Joe Vest. He said that they'd give D'Addario strings 'a run for their money' - he sure was right about that !. I used J74's on both my instruments for 9 years or so & they're certainly very good strings,but the DR's are something else !. DR MD11 'mediums',boosted the power of my Weber "Fern" to an incredible degree & the MD12 'heavies' did the same for my heavier built Lebeda,but to a slightly lesser extent. The other big plus point, is that they last for ages without loosing much of their tone & power. The MD11's have been on my Weber for close to 7 months now - totally unheard of on my instruments. I keep feeling that i should change them for new ones,like i 'used to do',but they still sound so good,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

4. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

You know I put half of a set on one of mandolins (1 g,1 d,etc) and then did a blind test with my wife. She is very musically inclined and couldn't tell a difference from my j74s ( Sorry. Someone had to play devils advocate) .

Not sure if I got a bad pack but I tried the heavier 12 gauge and did not like them, way too much tension on the E strings and they seemed to wear a lot quicker than J 74s. The 11s I received in the same order were quite nice though and I would try them again. In the summer months, I tend to stick with coated strings as the normal ones do not last very long due to sweat, etc.

Sean

NO brand of string will suit ALL mandolins as i've found out - why should they ?. I've used EXP's / Black Diamond & D'Addario 'monel' wound strings & didn't like them.However,the DR's work superbly well on my mandolins.
    Sean - To compare the DR MD12's to J74's isn't really a fair comparison as the MD12's are the same as J75's. I have MD11's on one mandolin & MD12's on another & left hand wise,for me,i can't feel any difference. Regarding 'lasting',as i mentioned in my last post,i've had MD11's on my Weber for 7 months & they still sound very good,the MD12's are also still going strong after 4 moths.
    Jazzjune - Using only half a set won't work,as each string will pick up sympathetic vibrations from the other. If both strings are 'different',what you're hearing is a 'hybrid' tone,neither one thing or the other (IMHO). In their 'blurb',DR claim that their aim was to produce a strong sounding string that was also brighter & longer lasting. If you pair a bright string with one that isn't as bright in tone,then you've got a mismatch whichever way you look at it - an interesting concept though !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

According to DR, they claim that their inner core wire is thicker than other brands of string, a and that this produces a more robust sounding string. I can't verify this, but their strings sure sound good. They also say that their strings are hand wound. How can they manufacture thousands upon thousands of strings if they are hand wound? Wouldn't hand winding strings produce inconsistency from one set to another? It would seem to me that a computer controlled string winding machine would produce a better and more consistent string then a human could. Any thoughts about this?

I for one wouldn't want the job of hand winding a set of strings! Imagine the time and effort that would take...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonkay View Post
    According to DR, they claim that their inner core wire is thicker than other brands of string, a and that this produces a more robust sounding string. I can't verify this, but their strings sure sound good. They also say that their strings are hand wound. How can they manufacture thousands upon thousands of strings if they are hand wound? Wouldn't hand winding strings produce inconsistency from one set to another? It would seem to me that a computer controlled string winding machine would produce a better and more consistent string then a human could. Any thoughts about this?
    An adman made up the handmade stuff cause people always buy into this kind of nonsense.

I do not buy into the hype, but I do like MD 11's more than the other strings I have tried so far on both my Mandolin's. Both for feel and tone. They seem to last nicely also.
    Playing:

2013 Girouard A5 S/N 63
    2013 Weber Gallatin A

I don't see any reason why 'handwound' strings pose a problem. If on the hand winder,the gear ratios are high enough,it could be just as fast as a machine wound string. For those who don't believe the DR claim re.hand winding,just e-mail them to tell them they're liars instead of making that claim on here,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

14. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Blog Entries

String factory tour

Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Great videos....Hand wound using machines???? That sure answers any questions that I had about "Hand wound"

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by jazzjune18 View Post
    You know I put half of a set on one of mandolins (1 g,1 d,etc) and then did a blind test with my wife. She is very musically inclined and couldn't tell a difference from my j74s ( Sorry. Someone had to play devils advocate) .
    But------ the DR's will last a LOT longer than the J74's !

I'm a recent convert to MD11s from J74s. I wouldn't say that there is a huge difference, but I like the G strings particularly. They have a nice "thump" and are a bit less harsh.

I was getting bored with J74s, so I tried them just for a change.
    Mitch Lawyer

Collings MF5V, Schwab #101 5 string
    1918 Gibson A, 1937 Gibson T-50 tenor guitar
    Jones OM, Hums bowlback

Bit of a broken record here, but I'll chime in and say that the DR12s on my mandolin have taken things to a new level. I like the slightly added string tension: makes my playing more focused and it feels better to me. I've had a set on for a couple months and they sound better now than when they were new.

Caleb - That's the same sort of thing i'm thinking about the MD11's on my Weber. The slightly 'bright' "E" strings have calmed down & the whole set has a nice balance. The MD11's on my Weber have been on for over 7 months now,& i'm so used to changing strings every 2 1/2 to 3 months,that SCA (String Changing Anxiety) is begining to set in.These strings seem to go on for ever & DR's claim that they last longer, is indeed being borne out on my 2 mandolins,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Ivan I will send you all my mandolins so that you can calm that SCA right down. MD-11's will be fine and I will even supply the strings. What is the best way to get them across the pond?
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Jul-24-2014 at 4:33pm.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Suppose 'back in the day' an apprentice would turn the crank spinning the length of string around.
    as the master string maker added the winding wire, to the rotating core wire .

then Michael Faraday discovered the principle of electro magnetism,
    that became the Electric Motor ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Bernie - If i was a bit closer i'd gladly re-string everything you've got. I view re-stringing a bit like mowing a lawn - not my favourite thing to do,but i sure love the result. (i don't have a lawn to mow these days unfortunately),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ivan, As you know I have more than two mandolins but only one that I use for just about every gig and I only change strings about every 9 months if that often, I use GHS A-270 strings on it and it still sounds pretty good for that long of a period....a lot of people have more oil and sweat and the strings do turn brown or black after a while but it seems that just wiping them down would help a lot, I wipe my strings down before and after each time I use it...Some pickers just love old strings and only change one when they break, if and when I break one, which hasn`t been for a coon`s age, I always change the pair as soon as I can, which I think most people do, one old string and one new one just don`t seem to sound right...

Willie

Hi Willie - I could never get more than about 3 months or so out of J74's on either of mine,so strings lasting 7 months or more are a bit of a system shock. Both mine still sound good,but i'm itching to change the strings even when i know they don't need it. I left a new set of MD12 'heavies' out yesterday intending to re-string my Lebeda,but i just couldn't do it,the ones on still sound great,so i settled for 4 hours practice (of & on) instead - far more beneficial. It's my Weber's turn today,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Well, as much as I raved about the DR strings, I eventually discovered that over a relatively short time, they lost their cool sound and became lifeless and dead. Might be the corrosive effects of my body chemistry, but I need to go back to a coated string, like EXPs or Elixers.

4-6 weeks dr11's the date over. back to elixers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonkay View Post
    Well, as much as I raved about the DR strings, I eventually discovered that over a relatively short time, they lost their cool sound and became lifeless and dead. Might be the corrosive effects of my body chemistry, but I need to go back to a coated string, like EXPs or Elixers.
    Sorry to hear that. I've heard (read) that some people's chemistry can be tough on strings. My DR MD-11s are going strong (good tone and intonation) at 4 and 1/2 months. I'm sold on them.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny boy View Post
    4-6 weeks dr11's the date over. back to elixers.
    I get the "back to elixers" part. What does the rest mean?