Thread: Any thoughts on provenance?

Blog Entries

Default Any thoughts on provenance?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headstock.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	120739

Thought to be 1920s F5-style Gibson, but the script is unfamiliar. Mandolin does not appear to be bound. Copy?
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Blog Entries

Default Re: Any thoughts on provenance?

The scroll. Appears to be a copy. Might be a '20s case, though. Or am I missing something?

Name:	Scroll.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	120740
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Is there a serial number anywhere? If so, a call to Gibson could give you some history on the instrument. (You may have thought of this already.)

As to whether it is a copy or not, I'm not an expert so I can't say!
    Proud owner of a Breedlove Premier Series Limited Edition FF!

Not sure of the facts, but I don't think Gibson started using red Krylon until 1972...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

No serial number.

Hey Mike! I don't know about the mandolin (although the script does not look right) but I used to live and go to school in Pleasant Valley just outside of Bettendorf. There didn't used to be much of a Bluegrass scene in the Quad Cities when I was there in the 70's. Are there more pickers up there now?
    08' Gibson Fern
    1964 Martin D-18
    www.potterswheelgospel.com

I know I'm getting old and the eyesight is questionable but do I see the back of the neck on the same side of body as the "F" holes instead of a fretboard or neck surface G Maybe it's apart and the top is just laying on the back ? Someone with younger eyes maybe correct me. Thanks
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

On 2nd thought it can't be that as the body has a left and right side, it looks to me like it's a Siminoff type neck joint not a dovetail and the neck is in upside down.
    Dave

That scroll looks like the Pillsbury Dough-Boy. The ff holes and all details are funky and sloppy, and no binding. I'm thinking old fake - or at the very least, bad new top. The headstock looks squirrely too like a Sam Bush wanna-be! Don't know about the case. Even considering the condition this does not exhibit Gibson elegance IMHO...
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

Quote Originally Posted by rockies View Post
    I know I'm getting old and the eyesight is questionable but do I see the back of the neck on the same side of body as the "F" holes instead of a fretboard or neck surface G Maybe it's apart and the top is just laying on the back ? Someone with younger eyes maybe correct me. Thanks
    Dave
    My eyes are both well over 50, but I think the missing fingerboard is what you are seeing...or rather not seeing.

I'm sure that mandolin is a much nicer speciman than anything I could build on my best day. So...not to criticize, but judging by the body-scroll alone, I doubt the builder was quite up to the Gibson level.

12. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

I'm sorry, I didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings criticizing the build, I was just concerned that someone was perhaps trying to sell this as a Gibson and I highly doubt that it is. Years ago I was taken in by a vague ebay ad for a (faked) Gibson which was being offered by a respected Bluegrasser. In the process I realized that it was fake but ended up buying it anyway because of it's "provenance" and the fact that it was a "pretty good" mandolin. BTW the ebay pictures of my mandolin looked amazing! I later realized that I could have bought a used Collings A model for what I paid for the 70s Gibson "tribute". Just throwing in my $.02 to maybe help someone not make the same mistake...
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

Hey Perry, We were both busy typing at the same time. I didn't even see your post until after punching the 'reply' button.
    You're right though...I can definitely see the Pillsbury influence!

Cheers,

Clark

15. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Flatrock Hill, of course you are correct, I should have enlarged the photo. At first glance the insert looked like the curved back of a neck. At 75+ years for my body and 19 years in my mind my eyes I guess are at 95 years LOL.
    Dave

Blog Entries

Rex: There are a few pickers here, in Muscatine, and in Iowa City. We're trying to grow the scene. The internet (FB, online lessons, this Cafe site) is making it a lot easier for people to connect. You can drop me an email at mgromkey@gmail.com if you want to chat, or get me at FB. Cheers.

Of course I know nothin' about scrolls but in the experts absence I will respond with TANPON IMHO!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Romkey View Post

Name:	headstock.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	120739

Thought to be 1920s F5-style Gibson, but the script is unfamiliar. Mandolin does not appear to be bound. Copy?
    Copy, no doubt: no ph binding, ph scroll not cut deep enough, script is a non-slanted (that is rare) and rough copy of the pre '22 (=pre F5) open style, no fern or flower pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Romkey View Post
    The scroll. Appears to be a copy. Might be a '20s case, though. Or am I missing something?

Name:	Scroll.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	120740
    Mike, you're not missing anything. Case should be Gibson, all else a rough copy. Basically none of the details are Gibson-related: Wrong neck set, scroll and f-holes cut completely off, no neck extension, upper body point too short and wrong shape, f-holes too close together, no binding &c.
    Don't know the provenance, though.

There's no need to call Gibson. Congratulations though, the case is worth a few bucks.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Technically, Provenance is a documentation stream, a proof positive way to ascertain past history ..

little late to get that now. ..

but good luck with our Mandolin in the rough Project ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    Mike, you're not missing anything. Case should be Gibson, all else a rough copy. Basically none of the details are Gibson-related: Wrong neck set, scroll and f-holes cut completely off, no neck extension, upper body point too short and wrong shape, f-holes too close together, no binding &c.
    Don't know the provenance, though.
    Henry, I think this is a 1928ish F2, with a very bad top put on the original body.
    Ken

24. The following members say thank you to Ken Waltham for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rockies View Post
    Flatrock Hill, of course you are correct, I should have enlarged the photo. At first glance the insert looked like the curved back of a neck.
    Too bad, I really thought someone had tried to make a copy for a left-handed person...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Waltham View Post
    Henry, I think this is a 1928ish F2, with a very bad top put on the original body.
    Ken
    Thanks, Ken, for suggesting this. You might actually be right. And of course, Gibson apparently used pre-'22 script inlays in the late '20s. But the upper body point and the body scroll cut-out just look so strange; I wonder what the back looks like.
    Here's a '29 F2 from the MA:

Name:	89433_front.jpeg 
Views:	128 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	120807

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Waltham View Post
    Ken
    I agree with Ken. I saw this in the classifieds the other day and that's the exact same thing that I thought. Especially with the picture of the fingerboard lying on the top at the 15th fret and the fingerboard stretching a fret and half past the nut.

28. The following members say thank you to Mike Black for this post: