Thread: MANdolin MAN from Belgium. Quality stuff!

Default MANdolin MAN from Belgium. Quality stuff!

There was a great review for Old Tunes Dusted Down by this Belgian mandolin group in The Scotsman newspaper on Saturday.

This video gives you an idea. I have never heard of these people. They're really really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPxc9Hl4CII
    David A. Gordon

2. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Default Re: MANdolin MAN from Belgium. Quality stuff!

Thanks for the clip David... yes they are very good! I used to know and played with Peter-Jan Daems in sessions back when I lived in Belgium and he is a fine player.

I just wrote to them to see if they have these tracks available as downloads. It is very frustrating for us in the US when all this amazing European music is not available except with exhorbitant shipping charges. I know... now we know how you feel in the UK!!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thank you David! Terrific sounds! It's a fascinating tonal blend of very different sounding mandolin family instruments. I noticed the Lyon & Healy mandolin (Style C?) and the modern F hole A mandolin, and what looks like a European flat top mandocello on the right.

Jim- here's a detailed review of the album of the traditional Flemish dance tunes- http://www.folkworld.de/50/e/mandolin.html. The group also appears to have a connection to a Quebecois artist management group (Pare) and a note that the album was released in Belgium in 2011 and is to be released worldwide on the ARC label in 2014.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Bass For This Useful Post:

Fun! Very nice playing, fine tunes, and lovely arrangements.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

I think this YouTube clip may have been linked here before, but what the heck, it's a nice arrangement! This group doing "Agua de Beber" by Jobim:

I wrote to them and it turns out that both their CDs are available on iTunes. I should have looked but always dumbly assume that European groups do not offer downloads. I looks fwd to getting their music.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Dagger and Jim, I DLed the "Old Tunes Dusted...." a couple years back when this conversation (of which Jim was a part) rolled through.

Good stuff. Stayed in heavy rotation for some time.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I guess I didn't know it was available as download... I certainly did not do so then for some reason. Also: I have a sub with emusic and both the CDs are available from there as well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I guess I didn't know it was available as download... I certainly did not do so then for some reason. Also: I have a sub with emusic and both the CDs are available from there as well.
    Well.... now you get to have the nice surprise. Totally straight forward and enjoyable playing. Infectiously unpretentious and delightful. Makes you wonder why there isn't more of this around.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig