Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi-Instrumentalist Collaborations You Would Love to See Happen

Default Multi-Instrumentalist Collaborations You Would Love to See Happen

w/ heavy mando content of course! Saw Steve Earle last night and got me to thinking...

Blake/Bromberg
    Stecher/O'Brien
    Cooder/Earle
    ?/?

Interested in recommendations on existing collaboration albums to check out too.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Multi-Instrumentalist Collaborations You Would Love to See Ha

Marty Stuart and Stuart Duncan and John Paul Jones, Oh my!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Wow! There is an impressive array of folk who could show up in this thread. Ed has gotten this launched with a good start. I'd be interested in hearing what David Lindley, Darrell Scott, Scott Thurston, Stuart Duncan, and David Muse could come up with. And then, there is Sarah Jarosz, Greg Leisz (is there something about names ending in 'sz' that could be significant?), Tim O'Brien, and Terry Kirkman. And then, there is..., what?!? Do I hear the scratching of heads and the calling upon Google?

4. The following members say thank you to klaezimmer for this post:

I'd love to see Sarah Jarosz and Oliver Craven (of The Stray Birds) do something together.

Mark Knopfler and Tim O'Brien except with Tim running the show.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgrexa For This Useful Post:

Jim Richter and JPJ
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

9. The following members say thank you to Barry Wilson for this post:

Having recently found a couple of YouTube clips of ''Joe Mullins & the Radio Ramblers'' playing with the ''Centrevile Alternative Strings'' Youth Orchestra,i'd love to have a CD of that combination of glorious orchestral strings along with a Bluegrass band, & one mandolin is all that's needed. I can hear 'in my head' a number of Bill Monroe's fiddle instrumentals played by a 'group' of violins,''Stoney Lonesome'' springs to mind, & i get goose bumps !!,
    Ivan
    http://youtu.be/j11SYrqaodw - ''Cruisin' Timber''
    http://youtu.be/GeGryS01O-Q - ''Some Kind of War''
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

11. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Extending to vocalists:

Yoyo Ma + Sarah Jarosz
    Strength in Numbers + Suzanne Vega
    Last edited by Toni Schula; Jun-15-2014 at 3:12am. Reason: Moved the vocalist comment to the top, as Sarah is a georgios singer too

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wilson View Post
    Jim Richter and JPJ
    Dang, hope John Paul Jones reads this. my phone line is open

Quote Originally Posted by dbilello View Post
    ...Blake/Bromberg..
    This happened years ago; see The Boggy Road to Milledgeville on Bromberg's first album, David Bromberg; it's Bromberg and Blake playing Arkansas Traveller.

Saw John Hartford's Aero-Plain band at the Fox Hollow Festival near Troy NY (1972, I think); Hartford, Blake, Tut Taylor and Vassar Clements. Bromberg came up and joined them, along with Vermont fiddler Alan Stowell. I think there's a cut on one of the Fox Hollow live albums that captured that collaboration.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Monroe/Scruggs/Flatt/Wise/Rainwater can you imagine how awesome that would be?!!
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Weaver For This Useful Post:

Paul McCartney/Jackson Browne Melody+Lyrics
    08' Gibson Fern
    1964 Martin D-18
    www.potterswheelgospel.com

18. The following members say thank you to Rex Hart for this post:

Andy Statman, Tim O'Brien and Michael Cleveland...

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

So many of my favorites have already played together in bands, or duos, or as session guys on their own or other people's records. Dave Swarbrick/Richard Thompson/John Kirkpatrick/Jerry Donahue/Martin Carthy. There are so many reconfigurations of potential alternate universe Fairport Convention lineups, that everyone eventually records with each other in some way or another. And then the various Cropredy assemblages. The occasional Carthy/Thompson tracks with both on acoustic guitars are really memorable

Albert Lee/James Burton/Jerry Donahue etc...
    Cooder/Lindley and all those folks Cooder has guested with
    Johnny Almond (sax/flute) and electric violinist Sugarcane Harris (several tracks together on John Mayall's Back To The Roots album.)

It was too bad that Hendrix never did that many guest appearances on other players' records. A couple tracks on Love's False Start and on the first Stephen Stills album.

I think a collaboration between British pedal steel player BJ Cole and Brian Eno could be sublime.

And....I would like to hear Ian Anderson join Spinal Tap for a rendition of "Stonehenge"

I would like to see the dawg an Carlos Santana or Chris Thile an Carlos Santana there would be some great stuff with these guys.

No Mandolin Content:

Rahsaan Roland Kirk & Eric Dolphy

Joe

Compton and Blake

25. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Randy Newman w/Richard Thompson & (violinist) Sid Page
    Ale Moller w/John Kirkpatrick (or Flaco Jimenez, or Maria Kalaniemi) or Martin Carthy

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Monroe and Hendrix (on his 6-string acoustic he played backstage at Woodstock)...

Think of Bill Monroe playing that break on "The Wind Cries Mary"; all of those double stop type licks that Jimi did; except Bill Monroe doing them on Mando...
    Last edited by DataNick; Jun-17-2014 at 11:14pm. Reason: spelling
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    Monroe and Hendrix (on his 6-string acoustic he played backstage at Woodstock)...
    People forget how times have changed. We are much more open to hybrid styles of music, now. Bill Monroe, was a genius, but he was also a hippie hating SOB, rest his soul. Remember he turned down the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's offer to feature him on Will The Circle Be Unbroken...fortunately Doc Watson, Merle Travis, Vassar Clements, & Earl Scruggs were more open minded. People today don't know how ground breaking the first New Grass Revival album was back then. Great LP, seems very traditional by today's standards, but having long hair was reason enough to be hated by the traditional Bluegrass community. Adding electric bass could get ya killed back then! Monroe and Hendrix I would love to see, but would have been a longshot back then. (although George Wallace hugged Jesse Jackson on his deathbed, so stranger things have happened!) I realize I'm walking a fine line here and will stop, but could go on--Al Kooper recording with Dylan in Nashville in the Sixties and getting chased down an alley by rednecks in a pickup truck...times have actually changed in 45 years, although sometimes it doesn't seem like it.

Bill Monroe at his core was a "blues guy"; certainly heavily influenced by fiddle tune music but a "blues guy" nonetheless; as was Jimi.

I can't help but think that in the right context, they certainly could have "jammed"; as evidenced by this seminal moment captured below of Bill Monroe jamming with Mance Lipscomb; another unlikely musical get together given the nature of the history of Jim Crow Southern attitudes. Somehow I think primarily because of Arnold Shultz, that Bill had a "different" attitude toward blacks than the "common" Southerner of his day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monroe_Lipscomb.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	120632

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi

30. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Bill also had a good relationship with Deford Bailey and connected with Albert King at one time. But the race thing is irrelevant, as was pointed out, Bill might not have played with Hendrix because of his counter cultural image , not because he was black. I bet he would have had a good time jamming with Jimi if the occasion had arisen. Monroe WAS a musician after all.

You are right Bill Monroe was a "blues guy", Rocky Road Blues, etc. I wasn't thinking race as much as hippie/r'n'r vs. country/bluegrass of the day. Speaking of race, as a young man I got to interview some of the old Sun Records rockabilly artists in the 80's, basically my heroes. I say old, they were probably in their late 40's or early 50's then. I was hoping to unlock the secret of such an enlighted time (in my mind) the combining of blues and country into rock and roll. If anyone knew the secret these guys would. By the second question, they responded with N-word this and N-word that, and I can't tell you how disappointed I was to hear their true feelings. They loved the music, but not the people it came from. I guess I was naive to think it would have been otherwise.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Bill also had a good relationship with Deford Bailey and connected with Albert King at one time. But the race thing is irrelevant, as was pointed out, Bill might not have played with Hendrix because of his counter cultural image , not because he was black. I bet he would have had a good time jamming with Jimi if the occasion had arisen. Monroe WAS a musician after all.
    I was musing that perhaps potentially such a "jam" could have been possible before Jimi was "hippie"; when he was an R&B/Blues guy playing the R&B blues clubs in NY circa the Isley Bros. period, etc. all before hippie existed, and that Jimi being a black "blues/r&b guy" would have been in a position potentially to rub shoulders with Monroe. It's all a fantasy jam/postulation anyway! I just think it would have been fascinating, and as you say Monroe most likely would have enjoyed the experience.

You're right, it's a fantasy jam, would have been cool to see! I guess we could also imagine if Jimi had lived to be an elder statesman and currently jamming with someone like Thile!