Thread: The Scottish Mandolinists

nigelgatherer

Default The Scottish Mandolinists

For my Tune of the Month you get two tunes for the price of one! It's a strathspey and reel set in honour of two modern pioneers of the Scottish mandolin, Dagger Gordon and Kevin MacLeod. They have put the Scottish mandolin on the map, and I humbly dedicate these two new compositions to them. You can download PDFs and MP3 from my website.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TOW83_ScotMt.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	120244  

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nigel Gatherer For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Scottish Mandolinists

Gosh, I'm very deeply honoured. Just listened to you playing them. Thanks so very much!

I think it should be said that you yourself have done as much as anyone for the mandolin in Scotland, and indeed for music in Scotland more generally.

Slainte,

Dagger
    David A. Gordon

4. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

Great pair of tunes Nigel, and thanks for posting them. What a great tribute to two very inspirational characters.

Dagger is right though - your own hard work through your fantastic website and the host of tuition and publications you offer is certainly worthy of mention when discussing Scottish mandolin!

Donaidh

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donaidh For This Useful Post:

Many thanks Nigel, though I fail to see quite what you think I have done to deserve this! But delighted to have a tune and will now endeavour to learn and play. I agree entirely with the guys above - your archive is amazingly useful!

regards
    Kevin Macleod

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmmando For This Useful Post:

So here's a very rough take on the tunes - I'll bed them in further, as I do like them, and many thanks again Nigel!

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kmmando For This Useful Post:

Well played Kevin! Nigel's tunes are very well crafted and the Sobell sounds great. A few months ago you initiated a thread on Sobell mandolins and I wrote to say that I had just sold an early mandolin (1976) I commissioned from Stefan. Your playing reminds me of how much I miss that instrument. In any event, lovely tunes well played.

Thanks Jim, my brother in law Tim Jones, a fine Scottish mandolinist, got hold of a 1978 8 string cedar Sobell a couple of years back, and it is in the older build style configuration compared to my small bodied spruce topped 1983 one. Stefan must have done a major redesign at some point then, a big change in the neck angle, more refined detailing and a different soundbox construction, as far as I can see from comparing mine and Tims - the two styles. They both have the distinctive Sobell sound, and Dagger's is more like mine in style, but with the warmer cedar topped tone, compared with the slightly edgier bell like spruce Sobell tone. They are all lovely, just different, and there doesn't seem to be many around. His later maple bodied ones are a bit more bright in sound to my ear, but probably project more overall. They look beautiful, as he always has superb woods, and immaculate build quality

It would be fun to hear Dagger's take on these tunes, perhaps he'll drop up a video or soundfile?

best Kevin

Two great tunes and you get the best out of them in your playing here, Kevin. Super tone from the mandolin!

What you get up to in Coigach on a sunny day in the summer, Dagger and Donnie MacDonald know the area well too. Music is off a soon to be released new cd of mine, this is a duet with Alec Finn and a bit of Luke Plumb near the end....

Just love Ali Beag.
    David A. Gordon

A living Para Handy ....

What an inspiring video, and great music. I'll be all over that CD when it's out.

Cheers Mike, hopefully get it soon and get one over to you!

Hi Kevin

Great to see the Fame on the water after all the work Ali Beag put into getting her seaworthy - and what a day to choose - absolutely glorious - nowhere quite like the Summer Isles on a day like that.

Good company, a fine boat and grand music - a welcome antidote to a busy day.

Thanks

Tim
    Tim Jones

Don't look too closely at the rigging Tim, we'd swapped the mast over for a Douglas Fir original, then Ken jury rigged the whole thing, but Ali forgot last years ropes, but it was too nice not to try a sail! A bit like being a passenger in an old Hispano-Suiza or something!