Thread: One vs two peice, type of grain?

Default One vs two peice, type of grain?

Guys, I am in discussion with Tom Ellis about making an F5 Special for me. I would like your opinion about two issues. One piece back or two? Second, is there a tonal difference between the grain patters, whether tiger, birdseye or quilted? I will go with whatever Tom recommends to me given the woods he has, but I am just curious to hear your opinions.
    Last edited by red7flag; Jun-13-2014 at 8:12am. Reason: Spelling
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Default Re: One vs two peice, type of grain?

Hi Tony,

I love the look of a one piece back if he has a piece large enough. Tonally, I can't hear much difference among the 3 types of maple you mention above. Good idea to trust Tom's judgement to get the sound you want. He's the man!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Yeah, they way the wood is cut and the type of Maple will produce different results. I would expect the Quilted to be a little richer and warmer and the Birdseye to have a little more projection. The Tiger I would think would be in between but that could be Red or Sugar Maple. I prefer Sugar over Red but haven't experienced Quilted to my recollection, I think it would be great. Visually it is stunning. One piece back or two? It would depend on the up charge, how pretty it is and how much you want it. It doesn't hurt the tone, if it helps it's probably a negligible amount. Some people might want to minimize the amount of glue used...

What does Tom say about the sound difference between a one-piece and two-piece back? Is there any difference in the final product, aside from aesthetics?

While I do appreciate the looks of a book-matched two-piece back, I've always favored a one-piece back (and top, for that matter). That's one of the things I love about my Ellis F5, and my Pava too.

All other things being equal (such as sound and price), red7flag, which would you prefer?

I would tell Tom the sound and playability features I want and let him decide how to achieve them!

All of the advice you receive will only be generalizations, but birdseye only appears in sugar maple which is considered the hardest maple. Birdseye figure is seen best when the wood is slab vs. quarter sawn. My experience indicates that it can be a little overly bright at first but mellows out some after being played for a while. Quilted maple comes from slab sawn big leaf maple and is generally considered the softest of the maples. Red and European maple are somewhere in between. Big leaf tends to have a less harsh somewhat mellower sound. It is also typically lighter than the other species. My personal preference is for quarter sawn sugar maple and red spruce which is what Tom and a lot of other top notch luthiers use almost exclusively. IMO that combination makes the best sounding bluegrass mandolins, powerful and loud. One piece or two piece backs are a personal preference and I love them both. I don't think there should be a significant upcharge because while it might cost a little more that cost should be offset by not having to join and bookmatch two pieces. I would be curious to learn a bit more about that "blister" maple that Tom seems to use a lot, that is beautiful wood but I don't know much about it and look forward to hearing from someone who does. BTW, congrats, Ellis mandolins are certainly some of the most beautiful instruments I have ever seen!

Sean

7. The following members say thank you to sgrexa for this post:

Sean, Thanks for the useful information. I am always amazed that Tom's instruments have a consistency of sound and tone regardless of wood grain, one piece or two, or whether an F or A model.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172