Thread: Eighth Note Question

Question Eighth Note Question

Along with teaching myself mandolin I'm learning to read music too. I love the book I'm using but need advice. I'm being introduced to eighth notes now. Here's my question: when playing an eighth note, is it customary or easier on the "&" part of a rhythm to play an upstroke, or a down stroke?

To make sure I make sense, in a simple rhythm like "1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &" would every numbered count 1, 2, 3, 4 be played with a down stroke and every "&" be an up stroke? Or does it matter?

Hope I don't confuse anyone but I'm not sure how else to ask it. I certainly can't ask my lesson book! Maybe I'm just analyzing too much.

2. The following members say thank you to CSIMelissa for this post:

Default Re: Eighth Note Question

Quote Originally Posted by CSIMelissa View Post
    To make sure I make sense, in a simple rhythm like "1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &" would every numbered count 1, 2, 3, 4 be played with a down stroke and every "&" be an up stroke? Or does it matter?
    Yes. Exactly.

Most of the time, that is the way I would play it.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Yup ... DUDUDUDU is an important habit to get into ... don't forget to stay loose in your wrist and fingers .... Luck.. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Thanks all! I'm trying not to develop bad habits early!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CSIMelissa View Post
    Thanks all! I'm trying not to develop bad habits early!
    Good on ya. Its worth it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    Yup ... DUDUDUDU is an important habit to get into ... don't forget to stay loose in your wrist and fingers .... Luck.. R/
    These folks are all correct, but there's way more to it than that! It's very easy to play DUDUDUDU when you have all eighth-notes. Where it gets tricky, though, is when there are combinations of eighths and quarter notes, and they get into syncopated rhythms. You'll be tempted to switch gears, but it's very important to think in terms of DUDUDUDU, and make sure you're playing with that rhythm. You may need to start a quarter note on an upstroke, which will be confusing. But it becomes very, very important later.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    These folks are all correct, but there's way more to it than that! It's very easy to play DUDUDUDU when you have all eighth-notes. Where it gets tricky, though, is when there are combinations of eighths and quarter notes, and they get into syncopated rhythms. You'll be tempted to switch gears, but it's very important to think in terms of DUDUDUDU, and make sure you're playing with that rhythm. You may need to start a quarter note on an upstroke, which will be confusing. But it becomes very, very important later.
    The original question referred to simple eighth note melodies, no point on complicating things at this early stage, but basically, we all agree on the importance of learning to base it all on the D/U strokes.

Indeed. When you see 8th notes, start on a down stroke and keep alternating!

The advice to play with strictly alternating DUDU works fine for reels/hoedowns/hornpipes, as well as swing/jazz/choro and most songs in 4/4. It doesn't work well for jigs (6/8, where one typically plays 6 eighth notes as DUD DUD) and slip jigs (9/8: DUD DUD DUD).
    Last edited by EdSherry; Jun-06-2014 at 6:43pm.
    EdSherry

Quote Originally Posted by EdSherry View Post
    The advice to play with strictly alternating DUDU works fine for reels/hoedowns/hornpipes, as well as swing/jazz/choro and most songs in 4/4. It doesn't work well for jigs (6/8, where one typically plays 6 eighth notes as DUD DUD) and slip jigs (9/8: DUD DUD DUD).
    The original post "To make sure I make sense, in a simple rhythm like "1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &" would every numbered count 1, 2, 3, 4 be played with a down stroke and every "&" be an up stroke?" I don't think she meant 6/8 time in the original question. When the OP runs into problems with what you are explaining, I'm sure she'll ask about it.

Newbie Seeking Clues tangleweeds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    This actually really messed me up at first, and as a beginner I think it's a good warning. I started out playing fiddle tunes that were straight DUDUDUDU, but when I ran into mixtures of quarter and eighth notes I would got very confused and frustrated about getting my down and up stroked intertangled so they didn't correspond to on/off beat notes properly anymore.

I'm still holding off on playing jigs yet, though I know lots of jigs on the tin whistle. I think I need to get more steady on my keeping my strokes aligned with simple 4/4 tunes mixing quarter and eighth notes. At least I notice what I've done immediately after messing up my DUDU stroke/rhythm alignment.
    recurrent beginner spring 2020 (2016, 2014, 2010)

Eastman MD-515 ... Kentucky KM-172 ... Trinity College Octave TC-325B ... Rogue RM-100A
    various "artisan tweaked" tin whistles ... digital piano ... other small instruments ... way too much sheet music

It was 4 months before I figured out that this was important and another 6 months to unlearn the bad habits i had ingrained. If you go DUDUDU on 8th notes and DDD on 1/4 notes you maintain the back & forth rhythm of your right hand and it goes much easier. You are still going DuDuDu on 1/4 notes but the upstroke is just reloading not playing. This reduces the need to think about pick direction until you get into more complicated time signatures.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gerard Dick For This Useful Post:

Walking the long road... Fr. White's Avatar

As a beginner I am also trying to get this down. Gerard thank you for the above answer I had been struggling to make sense of the DUDU on quarter notes and eighth notes so your explanation really helps out.
    +

Eastman MD504

Rather than just DUDUDUDU, I like to think of it as down on the downbeat and up on the upbeat. Just helps avoid the confusion that can arise when dealing with 1/4 notes, 1/8 notes and rests. So if a bar has two 1/4 notes followed by four 1/8 notes, I would pick D D DUDU. The right hand still has a DUDUDUDU motion, but the first two upstrokes are not striking a string. This way the right hand is keeping time. If you tap your foot to the beat, downpick when your foot goes down and up-pick when your foot goes up.
    Last edited by Chris W.; Jun-16-2014 at 4:46pm. Reason: punctuation

19. The following members say thank you to Chris W. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W. View Post
    Rather than just DUDUDUDU, I like to think of it as down on the downbeat and up on the upbeat. Just helps avoid the confusion that can arise when dealing with 1/4 notes, 1/8 notes and rests. So if a bar has two 1/4 notes followed by four 1/8 notes, I would pick D D DUDU. The right hand still has a DUDUDUDU motion, but the first two upstrokes are not striking a string. This way the right hand is keeping time. If you tap your foot to the beat, downpick when your foot goes down and up-pick when your foot goes up.
    That's a good way to explain it. It would helping dealing with syncopations too.

21. The following members say thank you to Mike Bunting for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tangleweeds View Post
    I'm still holding off on playing jigs .
    Why? It's DOWNupdownDOWNupdown. Nothin' to it. (I only know this because it's what my teacher has me working on.)
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    I don't think she meant 6/8 time in the original question. When the OP runs into problems with what you are explaining, I'm sure she'll ask about it.
    And we haven't even started to talk about triplets (more pickstrokes) and HOPOs (less pickstrokes) yet...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

If you think it is tricky with a pick, try with a bow. Actually, bowing has improved my picking in that I think to end up where I need to be with the pick after a syncopated passage.